U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 01:15 AM

757 posts, read 1,903,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
You are so totally right on. And I would remind people that when the economy was so bad in Germany, after the first world war, Hitler came to power by blaming the Jews....rather than doing the hard work necessary to fix the economy. And we know how that turned out. And that didn't happen all that long ago and it happened in a country that considered itself very civilized and religious.

I am so frustrated watching people fall for the same old shell game that is always played by those who want power over them. Find a scapegoat and keep people focused on fighting one another rather than demanding the kind of reforms that would truly fix the economy.... but that might cost the fat cats just a bit of their wealth. Better to keep us killing one another rather than seeing who is our real enemy and who is gaining wealth and power at our expense while they keep us distracted by appealing to our ignorance and our baser nature.

And at the end of the day, what really kind of tugs at my sense of national being is the whole... heartlessness of it all. (I.e. the "mommy!" post previously) and stuff like "Send 'em all back!" I know that even with convicted felons who clearly committed a crime, I'd still be willing to give them a chance, and so would many other people. ... but all these people don't really mind sending illegals to the burner...making their life hell, etc. It goes far beyond just breaking laws... it's about prejudisms and fear that Hispanics are becoming a larger and larger majority in this country.

Although I wouldn't quite compare it to Nazi Germany... yet.

Tell me, supporters of SB1070... would you support a bill that would deport all 11 million illegals, but make available 11 million visas eligible to citizens of LatinAmerican nations? They'd be of the same socioeconomic standing, same race, same culture, same music, same ghetto tendencies, same stereotypes, etc... but this time, they'd be 'legal'. LOL. Probably not.... and most corporation definitely wouldn't either... then theyd have rights and demand decent wages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 06:00 AM

5,361 posts, read 7,056,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post

And at the end of the day, what really kind of tugs at my sense of national being is the whole... heartlessness of it all. (I.e. the "mommy!" post previously) and stuff like "Send 'em all back!" I know that even with convicted felons who clearly committed a crime, I'd still be willing to give them a chance, and so would many other people. ... but all these people don't really mind sending illegals to the burner...making their life hell, etc. It goes far beyond just breaking laws... it's about prejudisms and fear that Hispanics are becoming a larger and larger majority in this country.

Tell me, supporters of SB1070... would you support a bill that would deport all 11 million illegals, but make available 11 million visas eligible to citizens of LatinAmerican nations? They'd be of the same socioeconomic standing, same race, same culture, same music, same ghetto tendencies, same stereotypes, etc... but this time, they'd be 'legal'. LOL. Probably not.... and most corporation definitely wouldn't either... then theyd have rights and demand decent wages.
Why is it so difficult for some of you to realize that people actually have a choice of doing the right thing (legally) or the wrong thing regardless of where they live? There are plenty of U.S. citizens who have crappy lives as well, but that doesn't give them the right to pick and choose which rules they wish to abide to. In addition, when other potential U.S. citizens are following the rules to try to enter the U.S. legally are being pushed back because we "have to" accomodate those who don't respect the rules, I say that is a problem. Wouldn't you want Puerto Rico (which has a high level of crime) to be a safer haven for all? Well that is exactly what the citizens of Arizona wish for it's state. You say you'd still be willing to give convicted felons another chance, yet you never mentioned giving the people who have dealt with murders in their families, robberies/thefts, kidnapping, rape, etc. (at the hands of people who don't follow the rules) another chance to do their lives all over. So please quit trying to make this about race, culture, ghetto tendencies, etc. It's about following the rules.

If you can't follow the rules, then get out, and PLEASE quit comparing the Arizona bill to Nazi Germany. It is a slap in the face to all Jews to have you compare their situation to what illegal immigrants who have broken the law have done. In addition, it is a slap in the face to all good, hard-working Arizonans who have had enough of the crime and want better for their state for you to even consider comparing them to Nazi's. Shame on you.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:01 AM

34,990 posts, read 33,866,355 times
Quote:
Great question and observations! I'm betting Hail no.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:02 AM

34,990 posts, read 33,866,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Why is it so difficult for some of you to realize that people actually have a choice of doing the right thing (legally) or the wrong thing regardless of where they live? There are plenty of U.S. citizens who have crappy lives as well, but that doesn't give them the right to pick and choose which rules they wish to abide to. In addition, when other potential U.S. citizens are following the rules to try to enter the U.S. legally are being pushed back because we "have to" accomodate those who don't respect the rules, I say that is a problem. Wouldn't you want Puerto Rico (which has a high level of crime) to be a safer haven for all? Well that is exactly what the citizens of Arizona wish for it's state. You say you'd still be willing to give convicted felons another chance, yet you never mentioned giving the people who have dealt with murders in their families, robberies/thefts, kidnapping, rape, etc. (at the hands of people who don't follow the rules) another chance to do their lives all over. So please quit trying to make this about race, culture, ghetto tendencies, etc. It's about following the rules.

If you can't follow the rules, then get out, and PLEASE quit comparing the Arizona bill to Nazi Germany. It is a slap in the face to all Jews to have you compare their situation to what illegal immigrants who have broken the law have done. In addition, it is a slap in the face to all good, hard-working Arizonans for you to even consider comparing them to Nazi's. Shame on you.
way to avoid the uncomfortable question posed in that post and the one to which it's replying.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:03 AM

5,361 posts, read 7,056,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
way to avoid the unflattering question.
What? I think I made it CRYSTAL clear. If you follow the rules, you are welcome. If not, get out. When you can learn to follow the rules, come back.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
way to avoid the uncomfortable question posed in that post and the one to which it's replying.

I know.... Liam, you're fixated on that Nazi Germany example, even though I clearly said I disagreed with it for now. Do you know what a straw-man argument is?

Old 05-01-2010, 09:25 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Quote:

Because you want to have a big "heart" for only your own kind but what of the millions of unemployed Americans? Do you have any sympathy for them?

We're supposed to allow the entire world to come here because they want their better life but don't want to reform their own countries and build up their own economies?

Well where is there for jobless Americans to go? Do we also get some "right" to break the laws of any country we choose?

Old 05-01-2010, 09:30 AM

This the danger of having too much "heart". It's like the eccentric lady with a lot of cats. She feels bad for any stray plus she just loves cats. So she takes in every cat that comes along. She puts out food to entice them to come and help them have healthy litters.

Soon she's got 12 cats but more keep coming. Then next thing she knows there are 25 cats but she doesn't mind, she loves them all and she can give up other things to feed her cats. Then she's got 75 cats and they're stretching her social security check rather thin. But what can she do, she can't be heartless and stop any cat from moving in.

Then it all collapses and they find cats eating the corpses of other cats, she's up to 250 cats and cats are found terrible conditions, starving and the poor woman can't keep up with it all.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:35 AM

Delisuanne... you are so right about that non-answer. It'll be a good day today. lol

Old 05-01-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post

If you can't follow the rules, then get out, and PLEASE quit comparing the Arizona bill to Nazi Germany. It is a slap in the face to all Jews to have you compare their situation to what illegal immigrants who have broken the law have done. In addition, it is a slap in the face to all good, hard-working Arizonans who have had enough of the crime and want better for their state for you to even consider comparing them to Nazi's. Shame on you.
I can't rep you again but that's exactly it. Illegals knew full well that there were immigration laws when they chose to come here illegally but they didn't feel like waiting in line, many never even tried to come here legally.

There are many visa programs in place, many temporary worker visas that would allow people to come here to do farm work, hotel work and other seasonal work but they didn't want that. They simply saw that it was very easy to just come on over, no paperwork to fill out at all.

Now they demand they be rewarded with US citizenship for having broken a whole number of laws, including felony document fraud and social security number and other ID theft.

They demand they be moved to the very front of the line and given their legal status and US citizenship ahead of all those many who have waited patiently -- now they are to be seen as stupid chumps for trying to respect our laws. The illegals will demand they be given all the many vacant jobs ahead of those people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or