Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2010, 09:30 AM

8,603 posts, read 10,136,635 times

Advertisements

I wanted to touch on some points that I read from a poster in another forum.

The issue being tossed around isn't about immigration, but about undocumented people who illegally migrate to the United States at any time and the issues we face as a nation (including Hispanics and Latinos) from having these people undocumented.

The problems arise when people (can be "everyday people" not just drug smugglers, etc.) enter the U.S. with no way of tracking them. If UDA's (undocumented aliens) have no documents, it becomes difficult for them to attain good jobs. They are practically an anomaly to society. They continue to live in the shadows, afraid to contact any type of police force, subjected to extortion, money-laundering schemes, protection fees (organized crime), continue to work low-paying jobs, living in ghettos, paying off Coyotes fees, perhaps taking up "second" jobs that may include illegal activities just to make ends meet. I understand that this can happen to "good people".

To say that most Hispanic or Latin people are against legal immigration means that they have no regard towards moving up and advancing in society. I find this to not be true. I imagine there is a large percentage of the Hispanic or Latino community in the U.S. that DOES support enforcement of immigration law for the betterment of their people, politics, etc.

Despite the attempts of many pro-illegal supporters to make this a race issue, it is not. Arizona's SB 1070 (like it's Federal counterpart it mirrors) wasn't created to spread hate towards people of "brown" color. As a post 9/11 reality, anyone who is stopped for a crime (even civil) should be asked to produce proper identification (this already happens). If they can't do so, don't speak proper English, cannot produce a SS#, then they should probably be detained until we find out exactly who they are for the sake of all of us and our communities. We also cannot ignore the fact that AZ borders another country (a corrupt one at that who's own tactics are questionable at best) so obviously many of the arrests by nature of being so close to that border will involve people south of the border.

Much of the backlash seen from SB1070 would not have occurred had the Federal Government enforced its own laws it had already written.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration