U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 04:23 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,509,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongohateswinter View Post
All those troops are coming home from Iraq - station them along all the borders....
Give them something meaningful to do....

Illegal means ILLEGAL !!
Either you come into the country legally or you are invading our nation & should be shot on sight....
You can't have it both ways...
Nope...Obama says having the military on the border will send "the wrong message" to our neighbors in Mexico and Hillary Clinton tells us that it's all our fault because we use the drugs that come through our borders.

And, former Governor of Arizona, Janet Napolitano, who now roams the marble halls in Washington, declares the border "is secure as it's always been"...even though she thought enough of it a few years ago to send in the National Guard...she now lives somewhere in la-la land where if you ignore crime, it just goes away.

Napolitano wrong to say border is secure | The Sierra Vista Herald (http://www.svherald.com/content/our-view/2010/04/27/napolitano-wrong-say-border-secure - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 04:24 PM

5,362 posts, read 7,090,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Did you see the amount of flashing cameras that were there when she gave a press conference? Jeezus...you'd think she was a head of state.

Perhaps we should all ask why Shakira, who doesn't even LIVE in the USA has an opinion about a state she knows nothing about.

Where was she when Phoenix became the second-highest kidnapping city in the world? Did she go offer condolences to Robert Krentz's family (the rancher who was murdered)? Did she send some flowers to the officer shot yesterday by an AK-47-carrying drug smuggler?

Does she have an opinion about the illegals coming to Arizona and keeping wages low and crime high which disproportionately affects the LEGAL Hispanic workers?
Rep to you!

Old 05-01-2010, 04:47 PM

41,314 posts, read 38,631,191 times
Including LEGAL Hispanic-Americans.

Excellent video:

YouTube - Gabriella Speaks City Council Meeting April 27, 2010

Old 05-01-2010, 05:02 PM

4,319 posts, read 7,933,413 times
Those 70% of Americans don't control the country. The US constitution does. If this law is not constitutional, those 70% of Americans are wrong and cannot impose mob rule on a minority.

The founding fathers knew that majority rule sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
It's OUR country. WE get to make the laws.

Poll: Most support Arizona immigration law - UPI.com

Want to reform immigration laws?

2. SECURE THE BORDER

3. PUNISH EMPLOYERS WHO HIRE ILLEGALS

4. EXPAND LEGAL IMMGRATION

Oh, wait. I forgot number 1:

1. THROW OUT OUR CURRENT GUTLESS POLITICIANS --- OF BOTH PARTIES --- WHO HAVEN'T THE COURAGE TO ENACT 2, 3, AND 4.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:17 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,861,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Those 70% of Americans don't control the country. The US constitution does. If this law is not constitutional, those 70% of Americans are wrong and cannot impose mob rule on a minority.

The founding fathers knew that majority rule sucks.
The “questionable” sections of the law have been amended. The remainder mirrors our current federal law. If this law is unconstitutional, then our federal immigration law is as well.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:47 PM

111 posts, read 112,796 times
I've read the bill, and most of it is fine. I particularly liked the section regarding employers and the unlawful hiring if illegal aliens. The part I did not like, is as you might have guessed, the part of this alleged profiling of people who are perceived to be "illegal", which most happen to be hispanic. Miss Gabriela is right though, there is nothing in the law that says cops can stop someone because of the color of their skin. But if confronted with a white man and a Mestizo-indian looking individual, who is officer more likely to stop on assumed charges of being illegal? Lastly, it seems that Miss Gabriela is misinformed because she keeps going on about the same thing, about this racial profiling not being in the law, when she knows in fact that most illegals are Hispanics.

Now of course this law inadvertently screws things up for hispanics because they will get hassled the most. Even Republicans of Mexican descent are opposing this law because this would directly affect them in Arizona. But, you know, looks like I'm going to have to get a BMW afterall. But then I might get accused of being a drug dealer and arouse more suspicion...? It's a lose-lose!

Old 05-01-2010, 06:24 PM

51,138 posts, read 29,227,726 times
I live in Phoenix and I think many have misunderstood the part of the law about allowing police officers to stop Hispanics just because they are Hispanic, that's not how the law is written, police officers have to have a reason to stop a Hispanic individual, such as a traffic violation, or any other calls made about somebody who's doing something wrong, like domestic violence, or causing a disturbance of any kind. Under such circumstances, the police officer will ask for an identification from the individual, like a driver's license, a green card, or any form of ID that tells the police officer the individual is in the United States legally. If they cannot produce any form of such ID, then the police officer will do whatever is appropriate in the situation, such as arrest the individual and have immigration deport them, or if a crime was committed, then have them go through the normal dew process of law.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:46 PM

17,287 posts, read 25,061,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I live in Phoenix and I think many have misunderstood the part of the law about allowing police officers to stop Hispanics just because they are Hispanic, that's not how the law is written, police officers have to have a reason to stop a Hispanic individual, such as a traffic violation, or any other calls made about somebody who's doing something wrong, like domestic violence, or causing a disturbance of any kind. Under such circumstances, the police officer will ask for an identification from the individual, like a driver's license, a green card, or any form of ID that tells the police officer the individual is in the United States legally. If they cannot produce any form of such ID, then the police officer will do whatever is appropriate in the situation, such as arrest the individual and have immigration deport them, or if a crime was committed, then have them go through the normal dew process of law.

That is how I understand it as well. However, because there is basically NO unbiased media anymore, I have yet to see a levelheaded critique or explanation of the law be presented by the MSM.

It's either, "Racist Nazis" or "Git Er done!"

Old 05-01-2010, 07:00 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,192,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juced View Post
I've read the bill, and most of it is fine. I particularly liked the section regarding employers and the unlawful hiring if illegal aliens. The part I did not like, is as you might have guessed, the part of this alleged profiling of people who are perceived to be "illegal", which most happen to be hispanic. Miss Gabriela is right though, there is nothing in the law that says cops can stop someone because of the color of their skin. But if confronted with a white man and a Mestizo-indian looking individual, who is officer more likely to stop on assumed charges of being illegal? Lastly, it seems that Miss Gabriela is misinformed because she keeps going on about the same thing, about this racial profiling not being in the law, when she knows in fact that most illegals are Hispanics.

Now of course this law inadvertently screws things up for hispanics because they will get hassled the most. Even Republicans of Mexican descent are opposing this law because this would directly affect them in Arizona. But, you know, looks like I'm going to have to get a BMW afterall. But then I might get accused of being a drug dealer and arouse more suspicion...? It's a lose-lose!
Here is where you go wrong. Let's say that a Hispanic is stopped for a traffic violaton and also a white person, black and asian. Whichever ones cannot produce valid I.D. will be the suspected one. Does that clear it up for you? There are also non-hispanics that are in this country illegally.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:06 PM

111 posts, read 112,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Here is where you go wrong. Let's say that a Hispanic is stopped for a traffic violaton and also a white person. Whichever one cannot produce valid I.D. will be the suspected one. Does that clear it up for you? There are non-hispanics that are in this country illegally also.

I do suspect this is how its going to be done, unless an officer will pull over people and directly tell them, "I suspect you of being an illegal immigrant". That probably will not happen, and will be done under the guise of a "traffic violation.

Have you ever forgotten your wallet and ID? Let's change the scenario up just slightly. Hispanic person and a White person get stopped, both have no ID's, who's going to be taken in for being suspected as an illegal immigrant? I realize there are non-hispanics, but they make up a much smaller minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration