U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 03:07 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,822,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
It was in the past, so I was correct in saying that. If Europeans were here first and still controlled the land then I would say "were" even though they had power.

And now Mexicans are coming in just as Europeans did. It should not be a problem.
But, do we want the same fate to befall us as the Native Americans? I think not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 03:10 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,226,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
But, do we want the same fate to befall us as the Native Americans? I think not.
It's clear that wont happen as they are mainly very poor and and are working horrible jobs.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:23 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,043,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
So - Shoot from the lip, comment as you see fit, and you shall be known as faithful to your name, guaranteed.
I will, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald
I tried to be nice. Apparently that doesn't register with you.
The posts I have seen from you to me and other posters recently is you trying to be nice? Wow, you need to work on that one, cause you come off as arrogant and pompous.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:46 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,156,932 times
Quote:
It's clear that wont happen as they are mainly very poor and and are working horrible jobs.
Uh, huh and millions of those mainly from one ethnic group isn't going to change the demographics of this country drastically in the future especially if these illegal invasion is allowed to continue? Yeah, right. That is exactly what happened to the native indians when they became outnumbered.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:49 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,226,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Uh, huh and millions of those mainly from one ethnic group isn't going to change the demographics of this country drastically in the future especially if these illegal invasion is allowed to continue? Yeah, right. That is exactly what happened to the native indians when they became outnumbered.
No, because they will still be poor.

Hey, don't poor people out number rich people?

Don't minorities out number Whites?

Don't women out number men?

Don't all other religions out number protestants?

Then why is the government mainly made up of rich, male, WASPs?

Old 05-02-2010, 03:54 PM

3,674 posts, read 5,856,816 times
Quote:
You need to do a bit of research in the real world, read the diaries of some of the explorers who came here before this was America. You might change your tune a bit. I spent a lot of time in assorted libraries about 20 years ago and compiled a 5,000 card index file on how South Carolina developed from the 1620 landing at Charles Towne Landing.

The natives here were accepting of the new arrivals, and the women of the tribes wewre fascinated by the European visitors, not knowing that they carried deadly diseases that they had never had contact with nor developed antibodies to fight, and many tribes were decimated by smallpox and syphillis when DeSoto came through.

Then the Spanish Tourists floated down the rivers and shot all the natives they could who came to the shore to see them.

What are the "facts" you heard?
Are you writing a book or plan to publish this info? I'd love to read it!

Old 05-02-2010, 04:11 PM

16,433 posts, read 9,288,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Are you writing a book or plan to publish this info? I'd love to read it!
Thanks, no. I started a book on the Congaree Swamp National Monument, wrote 100 pages or so, and lost interest.

Look up Lawson's History of North Carolina. Fascinating book. NYPL should have a copy or two.

If I get the energy this week I'll see if I can find the bibliograpy of the books I used. As with all history, some are gangbusters and some are bettr forgotten. Diaries i tend to believe more than writings of historians, because most untrained diarists had no ulterior motive in the way they recorded what they witnessed, and even those with an agenda tend toward facts.

I also spent a lot of time at USC in the Caroliniana Library, which is a lot like the State Archives.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:34 PM

139 posts, read 223,622 times
Quote:
I am here because my ancestors killed enough natives with guns, smallpox, and syphillis to make the surviviors easy to evict from their land so it could be stolen and farmed.

We were nice to them. Had I been Spanish and Catholic, we might have enslaved them to boot and put them to work in the mines.
Dude you need to dust off the history book. You're way off.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:24 PM

16,433 posts, read 9,288,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ina Van Down By The River View Post
Dude you need to dust off the history book. You're way off.
Go read the accounts of DeSoto's men when they marched through the South and you will fimd that I am spot on.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:34 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,640,026 times
Quote:
Well, the Native Americans were the rightful owners and they did not want us here. You can't have it both ways.
The earlier or later groups of American Indians? The Comanches were some nasty 'mofos' towards weaker groups and, knowing human nature, were just as guilty of atrocities as the Hispanic conquistadors and later Anglo groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or