U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-01-2010, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Out in the Badlands
10,394 posts, read 8,344,729 times
Reputation: 7679

Advertisements

Crossing the GD border
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-01-2010, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
16,422 posts, read 9,273,444 times
Reputation: 6170
I am here because my ancestors killed enough natives with guns, smallpox, and syphillis to make the surviviors easy to evict from their land so it could be stolen and farmed.

We were nice to them. Had I been Spanish and Catholic, we might have enslaved them to boot and put them to work in the mines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2010, 01:39 PM
 
26,700 posts, read 14,954,504 times
Reputation: 12548
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I am here because my ancestors killed enough natives with guns, smallpox, and syphillis to make the surviviors easy to evict from their land so it could be stolen and farmed.

We were nice to them. Had I been Spanish and Catholic, we might have enslaved them to boot and put them to work in the mines.
How do you live with the guilt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2010, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Texas
5,774 posts, read 6,653,219 times
Reputation: 2856
I am here because my family got here in 1532, and like the poster above said killed enough and enslaved enough people to keep the land they had before others came and tried to do the same. I am here because my family was here before the United States, became the United States!

Now, who's the illegal?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2010, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Exeter, NH
5,199 posts, read 4,204,038 times
Reputation: 5453
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I am here because my ancestors killed enough natives with guns, smallpox, and syphillis to make the surviviors easy to evict from their land so it could be stolen and farmed.

We were nice to them. Had I been Spanish and Catholic, we might have enslaved them to boot and put them to work in the mines.
I am here because my ancestors got here in the late 1800s when America was in need of workers for factories. They worked in shoe factories in NH and glove factories in Mass, often 6 1/2 days a week (Sunday morning for Mass), 12 or 18 hours a day, kids included. They worked their way into the Middle Class and paid taxes. None of us were rich in Ireland, in fact we came here as a result of the great Potato Famine. We never had slaves or even servants. We survived the Depression by family helping family.

Unfortunately, the American frontier is now filled, there is no more need for workers, and no free land granted by the government. Our social service programs have grown to be a huge burden on wage-earners, and the cost of education a single child is about $12,000 a year (not counting building or maintaining schools and facilities and school busses).

Things have changed and unless we wish to continue the ongoing decline in quality of life, we need to close the door to open immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2010, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
16,422 posts, read 9,273,444 times
Reputation: 6170
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
I am here because my ancestors got here in the late 1800s when America was in need of workers for factories. They worked in shoe factories in NH and glove factories in Mass, often 6 1/2 days a week (Sunday morning for Mass), 12 or 18 hours a day, kids included. They worked their way into the Middle Class and paid taxes. None of us were rich in Ireland, in fact we came here as a result of the great Potato Famine. We never had slaves or even servants. We survived the Depression by family helping family.

Unfortunately, the American frontier is now filled, there is no more need for workers, and no free land granted by the government. Our social service programs have grown to be a huge burden on wage-earners, and the cost of education a single child is about $12,000 a year (not counting building or maintaining schools and facilities and school busses).

Things have changed and unless we wish to continue the ongoing decline in quality of life, we need to close the door to open immigration.
I wonder how many Mexicans crossed the border in the days when your family was floating over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2010, 01:51 PM
 
296 posts, read 232,336 times
Reputation: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I am here because my ancestors killed enough natives with guns, smallpox, and syphillis to make the surviviors easy to evict from their land so it could be stolen and farmed.

We were nice to them. Had I been Spanish and Catholic, we might have enslaved them to boot and put them to work in the mines.
There's a series called 'America: The Story of us' on History Channel. I would HIGHLY suggest you watch it because you have your "facts" seriously screwed up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2010, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Pacific NW
9,173 posts, read 5,374,381 times
Reputation: 7655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
You are here because what you did is illegal
Crossing the GD border
That maybe be true for YOU but it certainly isn't for me, wasn't for my parents or grandparents and my great-grandparents LEGALLY crossed the border.

I suppose you're one of those nuts who think all white people should pay for what some did 150 years ago too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2010, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
16,422 posts, read 9,273,444 times
Reputation: 6170
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmandvadva View Post
There's a series called 'America: The Story of us' on History Channel. I would HIGHLY suggest you watch it because you have your "facts" seriously screwed up.
You need to do a bit of research in the real world, read the diaries of some of the explorers who came here before this was America. You might change your tune a bit. I spent a lot of time in assorted libraries about 20 years ago and compiled a 5,000 card index file on how South Carolina developed from the 1620 landing at Charles Towne Landing.

The natives here were accepting of the new arrivals, and the women of the tribes wewre fascinated by the European visitors, not knowing that they carried deadly diseases that they had never had contact with nor developed antibodies to fight, and many tribes were decimated by smallpox and syphillis when DeSoto came through.

Then the Spanish Tourists floated down the rivers and shot all the natives they could who came to the shore to see them.

What are the "facts" you heard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2010, 02:13 PM
 
95 posts, read 123,073 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
I am here because my ancestors got here in the late 1800s when America was in need of workers for factories. They worked in shoe factories in NH and glove factories in Mass, often 6 1/2 days a week (Sunday morning for Mass), 12 or 18 hours a day, kids included. They worked their way into the Middle Class and paid taxes. None of us were rich in Ireland, in fact we came here as a result of the great Potato Famine. We never had slaves or even servants. We survived the Depression by family helping family.

Unfortunately, the American frontier is now filled, there is no more need for workers, and no free land granted by the government. Our social service programs have grown to be a huge burden on wage-earners, and the cost of education a single child is about $12,000 a year (not counting building or maintaining schools and facilities and school busses).

Things have changed and unless we wish to continue the ongoing decline in quality of life, we need to close the door to open immigration.

Unfortunately,

We have an open door policy when it comes to "Cheap Labor", and "Cheap Drugs".

If you were to come to the U.S. from europe for work, you would have to jump through a lot more hoops. The lack of enforcement of our border to the south is a slap in the face of all those who have done it the right way.

Slavery is still pretty common worldwide. Every heard of credit cards? BS credit score companies use extortion to get people to leverage their lives to afford the consumeristic dream. I guess it depends on your point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top