U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-01-2010, 11:28 AM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
10,584 posts, read 7,965,909 times
Reputation: 4146

Advertisements

There are stories coming out, that Congress is considering bills that offer a "Path to Citizenship" (a.k.a. "amnesty") to the illegal aliens who are already here, and let them stay in the country to work until they get it. Left unsaid, is the fact that millions more foreigners have applied for visas, followed the rules, and are also hoping for citizenship... but remain outside the country. Such a bill was also proposed years go, in 2005/6.

Is it a good idea to do this?

Keep in mind the one thing the illegal aliens have in common. Whether they are Mexican citizens who walked across the border, Norwegian college students who overstayed their visa, Russian sailors who shinnied down the anchor chain in New York, or Saudis who took a little vacation from the diplomatic mission, they are all people who have shown a disdain for American law, and have demonstrated that they are happy to break it.

This is who you want to keep in this country and make American citizens? While keeping out the people who respected U.S. law, obeyed it, and followed the rules?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-01-2010, 11:30 AM
 
220 posts, read 191,786 times
Reputation: 70
yes, but conservatives rather kill them all.

case in point: Shoot and kill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2010, 11:32 AM
 
26,706 posts, read 14,959,097 times
Reputation: 12548
Quote:
Should we offer "Path to Citizenship" to illegals already here?


And what of those who came here legally?
How unfair to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner71 View Post
yes, but conservatives rather kill them all.

case in point: Shoot and kill
Nonsensical hyperbole and anyway, this thread is about addressing those already here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2010, 11:42 AM
 
6,314 posts, read 8,641,450 times
Reputation: 2661
You would have to seal the border first for this to work because once word gets out about this path to citizenship/legalization you will have huge numbers of people entering the country to get in on this legalization. How would you distinguish between those illegal immigrants who have been here for several years vs those who just crossed the border for the legalization?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2010, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
948 posts, read 753,212 times
Reputation: 195
I say 20-30 Mill of us all go to Mexico and do the same thing their peeps are doing here. Lets see who wins that gunfight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2010, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Fort Myers Fl
2,305 posts, read 2,629,402 times
Reputation: 916
NO. They broke the law once and you slap them on the wrist. Makes it hard to prevent them from breaking the law again. Just plain human nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2010, 11:52 AM
 
1,064 posts, read 861,197 times
Reputation: 402
The only 'path' that illegals should be following is the one-way trail back to their country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2010, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
948 posts, read 753,212 times
Reputation: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post
The only 'path' that illegals should be following is the one-way trail back to their country.
Kicking and screaming. Never gonna happen. They're here. Try and lift one up, they have roots dangling from their feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2010, 11:59 AM
 
472 posts, read 627,582 times
Reputation: 360
NO!! The path to citizenship starts in the home country of the prospective immigrant and LEGAL entry with prior authorization. Lawbreaking must not be rewarded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2010, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Jonquil City (aka Smyrna) Georgia- by Atlanta
16,248 posts, read 20,589,351 times
Reputation: 3587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
There are stories coming out, that Congress is considering bills that offer a "Path to Citizenship" (a.k.a. "amnesty") to the illegal aliens who are already here, and let them stay in the country to work until they get it. Left unsaid, is the fact that millions more foreigners have applied for visas, followed the rules, and are also hoping for citizenship... but remain outside the country. Such a bill was also proposed years go, in 2005/6.

Is it a good idea to do this?

Keep in mind the one thing the illegal aliens have in common. Whether they are Mexican citizens who walked across the border, Norwegian college students who overstayed their visa, Russian sailors who shinnied down the anchor chain in New York, or Saudis who took a little vacation from the diplomatic mission, they are all people who have shown a disdain for American law, and have demonstrated that they are happy to break it.

This is who you want to keep in this country and make American citizens? While keeping out the people who respected U.S. law, obeyed it, and followed the rules?
Yes we should offer "a path" but it should be a LONG and HARD path. Each applicant should serve 5 years as a "probationary resident" during which time they will be required to:

1. Work a job and/or operate a business and support themselves and their family members.
2. Pay all taxes due including any past due to all federal, state and local governments.
3. Become proficient in and pass a test on basic conversational English both written and spoken.
4. No unlawful behaviour or association with people that engage in unlawful behaviour. This includes misdemeanors and felonies except for minor traffic offenses (no DUIs).
5. For those under 30, a GED or high school diploma will be required (can be waived by a judge for certain conditions)

After these are completed, the immigrant could then apply for 5 more years of Permanent Residency which is what most immigrants enter as legally. After 5 more years, only then should citizenship be granted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top