U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 01:48 PM

8,163 posts, read 9,369,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner71 View Post
Arizona Grades Teachers on Fluency - WSJ.com

The Arizona Department of Education recently began telling school districts that teachers whose spoken English it deems to be heavily accented or ungrammatical must be removed from classes for students still learning English.

Margaret Dugan, keep up with your teabagging ways.

jesus christ! that state is going to crumble.
Actually this is a good thing. If you're going to teach English, it helps if you can actually speak it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 02:45 PM

8,640 posts, read 7,735,305 times
One thing is clear after reading through this thread. Obviously our schools are failing. Look how the left wingers jump to support anything that is wrong, rail against any options to assure a proper education. This is the direct result of liberalism and the dumbing down of America.

They are so filled with the "progressive's" propaganda they cannot even acknowledge that someone with a heavy accent does not pronounce words correctly so kids can learn properly.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:00 PM

24,889 posts, read 20,317,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
One thing is clear after reading through this thread. Obviously our schools are failing. Look how the left wingers jump to support anything that is wrong, rail against any options to assure a proper education. This is the direct result of liberalism and the dumbing down of America.

They are so filled with the "progressive's" propaganda they cannot even acknowledge that someone with a heavy accent does not pronounce words correctly so kids can learn properly.
Um,

Y'all call me a "left winger" and a "liberal" all the time, yet, if you read my post from earlier, I thought it was stupid to have teachers teaching English, who can't speak it properly.

Its not always left leaning people, who have bad ideas. This is the problem right now. Everyone on the right thinks the left is wrong, all the time, and everyone on the left thinks that the right is wrong, all the time.

Can't we end the left right thing, and just recognize a good/bad idea when we see one?

Old 05-01-2010, 04:41 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,366,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
If they're illegal, I'm for it. If they're legal, I think thats extremely wrong. If a teacher's a good teacher, why cut them because of their accent or whatnot?
There is a very good reason for not hiring teachers who don't speak English properly to teach English to kids who are still learning. I was an ELL teacher in AZ. The reason they want teachers who use grammatically correct English is so they can teach the kids to write in sentences correctly, talk in sentences correctly, and be able to understand academic language.

Often a child learns a language through a process called modeling. Modeling is basically where you show a child how to say something and expect them to repeat it and be able to apply it. For example, when I was teaching, I expected all of my students to answer my questions in complete sentences in English. I also had to teach them vocabulary. A teacher who is learning English would not be able teach vocabulary because he/she is just learning vocab words. The students were expected to write in English. I accepted no excuses from my students. Many of my students tested fluent by the end of the year and became great readers.

If you think about it, if a student learns English from a teacher with poor grammar, would you want them to learn poor grammar? If a kid is learning from a teacher with poor grammar, that is exactly what is going to happen.

Arizona school districts are not discriminating. They just want teachers who have a good knowledge of the English language to be teaching English. I worked with teachers who were white, black, and hispanic. All had a good knowledge of the English language.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:12 PM

29,609 posts, read 31,931,623 times
This is good news. I know several teachers who speak both English (native language) and Spanish and would love a good job.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:11 PM

198 posts, read 810,718 times
Does this include a thick southern accent? Or are y'all exempt?

Old 05-01-2010, 07:18 PM

32,131 posts, read 39,212,961 times
As someone who teaches with foreign born teachers (and who almost 40 years ago took college classes under foreign born instructors) the ability to understand them is paramount. We have a couple teachers who the kids across the board (meaning not just the usual complainers) complain they can't understand.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:27 PM

60,271 posts, read 30,643,331 times
My German teacher was from India and had a very heavy Indian accent. It was a lost cause. Seriously. I didn't learn a thing, yet still passed.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:09 AM

8,163 posts, read 9,369,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
As someone who teaches with foreign born teachers (and who almost 40 years ago took college classes under foreign born instructors) the ability to understand them is paramount. We have a couple teachers who the kids across the board (meaning not just the usual complainers) complain they can't understand.
I know in college I had a couple professors that, while very smart in the subject they taught, I and many of my classmates found to be horrible teachers. The reason was simple: communication. Their accents were so hard to understand that our ability to learn and benefit from the classes was severely handicapped. Sure, it was a class on aerodynamics, but in reality it was a class in comprehension: we students trying to comprehend what that guy was saying. It was very frustrating!

Old 05-02-2010, 04:18 AM

7,359 posts, read 6,219,237 times
I left AZ in '90 because I just couldn't stomach the bigotry and ignorance, anymore. There are so many nice things about the state, but their racial biases sully everything.

Sadly, they don't understand the good the Hispanic culture has brought them, choosing to focus only on the negatives.

How like people in general, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration