U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2010, 02:00 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,889,300 times

Advertisements

On the Houston Architecture forum the user RedScare (a lawyer) explains that many cities in Texas no longer try to arrest people with suspended driver's licenses because the costs would be too great:

Quote:
If they follow the suggestions of some of the non-legal opinions I've read, Arizona will simply be sued out of existence. And, as I stated earlier, Arizona taxpayers are about to get a cruel lesson in the costs associated with arresting, and incarcerating large numbers of people in addition to the usual criminals they round up. It will bankrupt them (an example can be found in Texas regarding drivers with suspended drivers licenses. There are so many out there that most big cities refuse to arrest them anymore. They simply write them a ticket and tow their car).
He feels that the same may happen with this immigration law. His post is at The Chronicles of Obama - HAIF: Houston's Leading Internet Community - Page 7

Do you think Arizona has enough money to enforce this law? If not, what should the state do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 11:53 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,446,659 times
I think arizona will make money off of it. People will move there BECAUSE they have solid law enforcement and those arrested will have to pay heavy fines and serve time in jail. In jail they will be made to work for free. cleaning up the roadsides. pickin fruit at the state farm making shoes and licence plates etc....There is a price to pay when you get arrested. As a legal citizen I would now like to retire in the wonderful state that is taking back its rights.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:19 AM

How many people arrested will have substantial funds to make up for the costs of detaining them and keeping them in jail? How many new prisons or jails will the state or local governments have to build?

If many of the people arrested are low income, as I say, you can't squeeze blood out of a turnip.

"People will move there BECAUSE they have solid law enforcement" - People move to place because they have jobs there and can live there with a relatively good standard of living.

"In jail they will be made to work for free. cleaning up the roadsides. pickin fruit at the state farm making shoes and licence plates etc." - AFAIK that will not offset the costs of keeping them incarcerated. Plus there are more costs if you have to build new prisons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
I think arizona will make money off of it. People will move there BECAUSE they have solid law enforcement and those arrested will have to pay heavy fines and serve time in jail. In jail they will be made to work for free. cleaning up the roadsides. pickin fruit at the state farm making shoes and licence plates etc....There is a price to pay when you get arrested. As a legal citizen I would now like to retire in the wonderful state that is taking back its rights.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:45 AM

48,519 posts, read 81,048,183 times
Are you saying the feds will ignore their duty even when someone else catches the people they are responsible to catch?If red scare was in deed a lawyer he would know that in Texas its the county prosecutor who charges under Texas law for DWLS;that its a misdeamnor meaning the state does not jail them if that is the sentenece;its the county and that lookig at court recorts their still being arrest in Texas. I suggest you don't take legal advise from him for sure.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:49 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,410,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
LOL...Have you ever worked at a prison or a jail? First of all, there are few jobs in prison due to security reasons. Those jobs are paid no more than 30 cents an hour, compared to a Correctional Officer who gets paid...lets say $35.00 an hour. Nowdays a yearly prison sentence costs more than $30,000.00 a year per inmate.

Its a drain on the economy more than anything.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:19 AM

I was talking about the State of Arizona, and what RedScare said that if the state tries to follow the "duty" stipulated in the new law, it will bankrupt them.

AFAIK the federal government is very selective in targeting specific illegals to arrest; mainly those involved in other felonies. SignOnSanDiego.com | The San Diego Union-Tribune | San Diego Green Guide explains that there are "collateral arrests," where there are illegals who happen to be around when the feds make a targeted arrest and those illegals are arrested.

As for state laws regarding driving with a suspended license: "If red scare was in deed a lawyer he would know that in Texas its the county prosecutor who charges under Texas law for DWLS;that its a misdeamnor meaning the state does not jail them if that is the sentenece"

What he said was "There are so many out there that most big cities refuse to arrest them anymore." - He didn't say "jail" - he said "arrest" which is a distinct act. He is saying that if a large city finds someone with a suspended driver's license, the large city will typically not arrest them because doing so would add to the city's costs. Even if the county is the agency that prosecutes dwl, that does not interfere with the fact that having an arrest costs the city money. He is saying that in many cases the city will not arrest the person doing a dwl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Are you saying the feds will ignore their duty even when someone else catches the people they are responsible to catch?If red scare was in deed a lawyer he would know that in Texas its the county prosecutor who charges under Texas law for DWLS;that its a misdeamnor meaning the state does not jail them if that is the sentenece;its the county and that lookig at court recorts their still being arrest in Texas. I suggest you don't take legal advise from him for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration