U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 06:31 PM

346 posts, read 616,189 times

Advertisements

Benicar is 100% correct. What happened between now and the marches a few years back? Did they somehow amazingly have a revelation and just discover they are true patriots who love the American flag?
Gloria Estefan singing? Shakira denouncing the US? Boycott Arizona Diamondbacks? This has become insanity in our own country.
I mean seriously now? African Americans were oppressed citizens who had basic human rights taken away from them. Non-citizens are given so many benefits by the government and they have the gall to protest against the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 06:31 PM

111 posts, read 112,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Main Entry: pa·tri·ot·ism
Pronunciation: \ˈpā-trē-ə-ˌti-zəm, chiefly British ˈpa-\
Function: noun
Date: circa 1726
: love for or devotion to one's country

Patriotism - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Seems that the patriots I see are driving around flailing confederate flags along the interstate saying "Messcins tuk er jerbs!" Or am I just seeing things?

Old 05-01-2010, 06:35 PM

346 posts, read 616,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juced View Post
Seems that the patriots I see are driving around flailing confederate flags along the interstate saying "Messcins tuk er jerbs!" Or am I just seeing things?
I know you are joking, because no intelligent person would post that.

True American patriots have the interest of America in mind. They want to see what is best for American citizens, and nobody else but them. They are not racist and not violent. They see Americans as one cohesive blend of people; white, black, hispanic, and asian.

The people you just described are a minority of ignorant folk who do not represent what a true patriot is, so don't confuse ignorance and patriotism, because they are nothing alike.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:39 PM

8,640 posts, read 7,732,598 times
Gutierrez should be booted out of office and out of the country.

He is an example of why I will never vote for a hispanic. Every one of them seem to represent the best interest of foreign citizens instead of Americans.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:49 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,222,911 times
Quote:
That's Nationalism. Nationalism is Patriotism and Ethnocentrism blended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Gutierrez should be booted out of office and out of the country.

He is an example of why I will never vote for a hispanic. Every one of them seem to represent the best interest of foreign citizens instead of Americans.
This post is priceless.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:55 PM

111 posts, read 112,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreXican View Post
I know you are joking, because no intelligent person would post that.

True American patriots have the interest of America in mind. They want to see what is best for American citizens, and nobody else but them. They are not racist and not violent. They see Americans as one cohesive blend of people; white, black, hispanic, and asian.

The people you just described are a minority of ignorant folk who do not represent what a true patriot is, so don't confuse ignorance and patriotism, because they are nothing alike.
Haha, maybe I'm exaggerating just slightly but this is far from a small minority.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:27 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
No, you're not seeing things. What you are seeing is a small fraction of radical Americans. But then again pro-illegals tend to only want to see that side and turn a blind eye to the majority of Americans who only want our immigration laws enforced, period.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:00 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,582,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seyareno View Post
I really like the illegal immigrants at these rallies carrying and waving the American Flag acting like they care about the country. The first thing the did was break the law upon entering illegally, no attempts to learn English. Real Patriotic.
Yup, they just wave the flag to give that impression and illusion that they support, love this country and that they are "American." I read a poll that was done in California (not an anti poll or anything) that showed that the majority of those from Central American or South American countries who are living here consider themselves Mexican, Hondurian, etc. before they consider themselves American. Also, they just wave those flags to fool people into thinking that they are "loyal" or something like that to the US, when they are just waving those flags to get things their way. People are usually at these rallies handing out flags to random people: "here, wave this."

Old 05-01-2010, 08:08 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Haha, maybe I'm exaggerating just slightly but this is far from a small minority.
It is compared to the rest of the nation. You might only see someone waving the Confederate flag in the south. I haven't seen it anywhere else and we are a big nation.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:05 PM

3,569 posts, read 5,771,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreXican View Post
Here in Chicago we had a rally of about 1,000 - nowhere near as big as LA. ?
Way more then 1,000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or