U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 12:52 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Right! Like it's working fine right now.

wehotex, the only good thing about this ordeal is that it's getting the attention it needs. Arizona has been left out there by itself, no help. Maybe the federal government will provide with more assistance at the border. If Arizona really wanted to cut out the smuggling, drugs or human trafficking, why don't they put their efforts at the border. So far, I hear a lot of complains about those against 1070 but few speak about getting the gov of Arizona to redirect efforts at the border.
Arizona, and no other state, has the resources to adequately tackle the problems at our borders. Moreover, that falls under the purview of DHS. We certainly don’t want states to usurp the authority of the federal government, now do we? If the Feds would simply enforce the laws they swore to uphold, AZ would not have enacted 1070. They did what they had to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 01:09 PM

2,381 posts, read 4,410,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Arizona, and no other state, has the resources to adequately tackle the problems at our borders. Moreover, that falls under the purview of DHS. We certainly don’t want states to usurp the authority of the federal government, now do we? If the Feds would simply enforce the laws they swore to uphold, AZ would not have enacted 1070. They did what they had to do.
Well, let's work together on that. Let's hope the federal government will hear us this time. As I said, not all outcomes are negative in this ordeal.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:42 PM

1,150 posts, read 991,320 times
<< This is what people get at when they say "What does an illegal look like". >>

They're trying to bring it down to looks alone, but it will involve other things besides looks. An adult with no driver's license, state ID, Social Security number, green card, or visa, a car with people stuffed in the trunk, or a group walking through the desert, especially with women, and children,
would be suspect.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:51 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Quote:
Well, let's work together on that. Let's hope the federal government will hear us this time. As I said, not all outcomes are negative in this ordeal.
The federal government hears us loud and clear. The problem is they don’t care. I’m afraid it will require much more bloodshed before they take action. It may even require another tragic terrorist attack. I certainly hope not.

I am reminded of a problem my former HOA had with the county. We begged for years to have a traffic light installed at a very dangerous intersection. Accidents occurred almost weekly. Yet, our pleas fell on deaf ears, until the day two cars collided resulting in three fatalities. Had they simply installed the light, the accident could have been prevented.

The concept of proactive vs. reactive is obviously foreign to many in our government. Consequently, illegal immigration is totally out of control. Prior solutions are futile. We need strict border enforcement, as well as severe penalties for both illegal workers and their employers. Fear is a powerful motivator. We need to instill fear in everyone who profits from illegal immigration. Clearly, they now have none.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:35 PM

17,279 posts, read 24,969,411 times
Quote:
Right! Like it's working fine right now.

An absolute shame! That guy halfway through the clip was born in America and has a heavier accent than my father, who is an actual immigrant!

Old 05-02-2010, 02:45 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
<< This is what people get at when they say "What does an illegal look like". >>

They're trying to bring it down to looks alone, but it will involve other things besides looks. An adult with no driver's license, state ID, Social Security number, green card, or visa, a car with people stuffed in the trunk, or a group walking through the desert, especially with women, and children,
would be suspect.
I am pretty certain if you are pulled over in Arizona and you are very white but you have no drivers license, no proof of insurance and can only speak Russian, they're going to ask you your citizenship and if you answer in Russian that your citizenship is Russian, they will ask to see your green card or visa. They might also ask if you answer in Russian that you're an American citizen, born and raised in Kansas.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:24 PM

7,022 posts, read 5,774,648 times
Pretty soon we'll have to take all laws off the books--since they all "could potentionally" lead to racial profiling--and become like the Wild West again.

The Mexicans lost that war too.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:06 AM

Quote:
In blunt comments during the Sunday talk show fest, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton equated Arizona’s new immigration law with racial profiling. Asked on NBC’s “Meet the Press” whether she thought the law “invites profiling, racial profiling,” Clinton responded: “I don’t think there’s any doubt about that.”

“Clearly, as I understand the way the law is being explained, if you’re a legal resident, you still have to carry papers,” she said. “Well, how is a law enforcement official supposed to know” whether someone might be an illegal visitor, she asked.
Hillary Clinton Migrates Into Arizona Law Controversy - Washington Wire - WSJ

Old 05-03-2010, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
The federal government hears us loud and clear. The problem is they don’t care. I’m afraid it will require much more bloodshed before they take action. It may even require another tragic terrorist attack. I certainly hope not.

I am reminded of a problem my former HOA had with the county. We begged for years to have a traffic light installed at a very dangerous intersection. Accidents occurred almost weekly. Yet, our pleas fell on deaf ears, until the day two cars collided resulting in three fatalities. Had they simply installed the light, the accident could have been prevented.

The concept of proactive vs. reactive is obviously foreign to many in our government. Consequently, illegal immigration is totally out of control. Prior solutions are futile. We need strict border enforcement, as well as severe penalties for both illegal workers and their employers. Fear is a powerful motivator. We need to instill fear in everyone who profits from illegal immigration. Clearly, they now have none.
The reason why they have no fear is because they (employers) have not been targetted. Instead LE looks toward short term solutions like stopping anyone who looks "brown" in the streets. That's not a real solution. We really need to work together to find ways for the federal government to hear us and work on the strengthening our border.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post

They're trying to bring it down to looks alone, but it will involve other things besides looks. An adult with no driver's license, state ID, Social Security number, green card, or visa, a car with people stuffed in the trunk, or a group walking through the desert, especially with women, and children, would be suspect.
I have no problem with any of those signs at the border. That would be an appropriate place to stop stop someone and check their status. That however, is not ok within city limits where people come and go to work, school, doctor, etc.

Regarding your first sentence: Thank you for admitting that "looks" is a factor. We call that racial profiling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or