Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 09:08 AM

317 posts, read 404,734 times

Advertisements

I heard they do in Arizona. I'm an American citizen, born and raised, This sounds like a dicatorship

Old 05-08-2010, 09:12 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbiggleswurth View Post
I heard they do in Arizona. I'm an American citizen, born and raised, This sounds like a dicatorship
American citizens don't walk, they drive. Walking is un-American. Your behavior is suspicious and you should be arrested

Old 05-08-2010, 09:16 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
Seems reasonable, if you were to break the law and they intended to cite you for an infraction, that they would need to ask for an ID of some sort. I presume that there must be many acceptable forms of ID other than a drivers license or picture id. There's obviously no way anyone could "prove" citizenship, nor does it make sense that anyone should have to.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:19 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
Jaywalking is a small infraction of the law most police won't stop someone for something that petty. However, if they did and asked you for your I.D. what is the big deal? I don't understand how so many of you in here equate being asked for I.D. automatically incurs questions about citizenship. I.D. such as a DL is sufficient.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:19 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,104,854 times
In most cities it is against the law to J walk. So, yes, you could be arrested by you would probably be stopped and questioned and during this conversation if you got smart (which it doesn't sound to me like you can do) you could be arrested. Yes, this is American, the laws work the same here as they do anywhere else, except here the immigration laws are not enforced. I doubt that you know what a dictatorship is.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:48 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Jaywalking is a small infraction of the law most police won't stop someone for something that petty. However, if they did and asked you for your I.D. what is the big deal? I don't understand how so many of you in here equate being asked for I.D. automatically incurs questions about citizenship. I.D. such as a DL is sufficient.
Actually; an Englishman (Felipe Fernandez-Armesto) got stopped/arrested for jaywalking in Atlanta some years ago. Apparently; jaywalking is not against the rules in the UK.

'I was grabbed and thrown in U.S. jail for crossing road' | Mail Online

Old 05-08-2010, 09:55 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
If you were caught shoplifting a $1.00 pack of gum do the police have a right to ask you ID and proof of citizenship? YES they do. It sucks to be a criminal.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:56 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,438 times
Any not motor vehicle Title 39 violation can be addressed through a issuance of a summons on the standard form.

However the major difference is this..

As a pedestrian, you are not required to possess any information on your person. No state law, nor Federal requires a pedestrian to possess personal identification. So while the summons would be issued, the information would have to be obtained verbally if that's all the violator has at the time. Refusal to provide the information would lead to a custodial arrest where identification would be required before release on a summons (or bail at the judge/court administrators discretion). In todays technologically advanced world, positive ID can possibly be established through a AFIS scan.

The new law in AZ will be challenged and most likely be found unconstitutional. Enforcement is difficult to impossible at best. while it shows the frustration of those state residents with a huge problem, this wasn't the cure.

Quote:
proof of citizenship
Might want to brush up on the law. How would YOU prove you were a citizen if stopped. You carry your birth certificate all the time? Doubt it.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:06 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Any not motor vehicle Title 39 violation can be addressed through a issuance of a summons on the standard form.

However the major difference is this..

As a pedestrian, you are not required to possess any information on your person. No state law, nor Federal requires a pedestrian to possess personal identification. So while the summons would be issued, the information would have to be obtained verbally if that's all the violator has at the time. Refusal to provide the information would lead to a custodial arrest where identification would be required before release on a summons (or bail at the judge/court administrators discretion). In todays technologically advanced world, positive ID can possibly be established through a AFIS scan.

The new law in AZ will be challenged and most likely be found unconstitutional. Enforcement is difficult to impossible at best. while it shows the frustration of those state residents with a huge problem, this wasn't the cure.

Might want to brush up on the law. How would YOU prove you were a citizen if stopped. You carry your birth certificate all the time? Doubt it.
NO I don't carry a birthcertificate but I do carry a valid drivers license everywhere I go walking or driving. I can produce a passport or birth certificate if need be.
The law is no big deal nor is it unreasonable.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:42 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Is Jaywalking illegal?

You have your answer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration