U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-02-2010, 10:49 PM

77 posts, read 103,666 times
Default Arizona law is an outrage

I have been highly critical of illegal immigration in the past. However Arizona's law is flat out wrong. This law would destroy the 4th amendment as we know it. Anybody with brown skin could be a target under this law. Arabs, Southern Europeans and Asians would all have a reason to fear this law. Image a 3th generation Italian America being asked for their papers because they are dark skinned! This is big government at it's worst. Put your state guard on the border but not this. The drug cartels are a problem but this is not the answer.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 01:00 AM

6,608 posts, read 6,734,333 times
I don't understand.

So you get unfairly "profiled" you're asked to produce valid ID which you do, where's the issue?

Oh right, the only people that have to FEAR anything are those that are NOT here leggally - gotcha

Old 05-03-2010, 01:04 AM

5,081 posts, read 7,493,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamlinandLyndale View Post
I have been highly critical of illegal immigration in the past. However Arizona's law is flat out wrong. This law would destroy the 4th amendment as we know it. Anybody with brown skin could be a target under this law. Arabs, Southern Europeans and Asians would all have a reason to fear this law. Image a 3th generation Italian America being asked for their papers because they are dark skinned! This is big government at it's worst. Put your state guard on the border but not this. The drug cartels are a problem but this is not the answer.
Have you read the text for this thing? Apparently you know that people can only be asked any questions when they're already stopped for something else? By "papers" it's looking pretty likely that will mean "drivers license."

Old 05-03-2010, 01:05 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,111,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I don't understand.

So you get unfairly "profiled" you're asked to produce valid ID which you do, where's the issue?

Oh right, the only people that have to FEAR anything are those that are NOT here leggally - gotcha
Not really. A valid ID is no longer enough. They may even ask that you provide your birth certificate as well. But if you are Caucasian, no problem, you get a salute and no questions asked. Its okay as long as its not you being constantly stopped, right?

Old 05-03-2010, 01:08 AM

6,608 posts, read 6,734,333 times
So tell me then, why is it that as a legal immigrant I have to carry my green card at all times if no-one is allowed to ask to see it?

Constantly - out of millions of people they are going to CONSTANTLY stop one person - mhmmm

Old 05-03-2010, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Have you read the text for this thing? Apparently you know that people can only be asked any questions when they're already stopped for something else? By "papers" it's looking pretty likely that will mean "drivers license."
Right...

YouTube - 4409 -- Arrested over Arizona's Real I.D. Paper's Please SB1070 bill

Old 05-03-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
So tell me then, why is it that as a legal immigrant I have to carry my green card at all times if no-one is allowed to ask to see it?

Constantly - out of millions of people they are going to CONSTANTLY stop one person - mhmmm
They are constantly going to stop brown people. As I have said before, I have family that have already been affected by this.

A green card? Really? See now I dont believe you. We havent had green cards in, I dont know how many years. I would say, at least a decade. They got rid of those.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:15 AM

5,081 posts, read 7,493,988 times
Law hasn't come into effect yet. Try again, chief.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:20 AM

Quote:
And yet, they are already racially profiling.
The law will never come into effect, but thanks.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:24 AM

313 posts, read 184,284 times
Quote:
They've been already been racial profiling. SB 1070 just makes it mandatory, and backs up the agencies that have already been doing this. Some will take advantage of this and harass citizens and legals using the vague probable cause allowed by the bill.

How can you guys be so naive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration