U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-03-2010, 09:57 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,836 posts, read 12,417,739 times
Reputation: 1567

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
There is nothing in this law that says anyone will get stopped on the basis of their skin color. In fact, it specifies that the cops can only ask while detaining someone in the midst of another crime.

And if you've spent time in Arizona or Texas, you would understand better the travesty and the high costs of allowing illegals to suck on the social systems and perpetuate crimes.
o so every cop is trust worthy in america

you honestly think that cops will not stop Hispanics for no reason? lol ahahahha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-03-2010, 10:08 PM
 
5,946 posts, read 6,392,072 times
Reputation: 5493
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
o so every cop is trust worthy in america

you honestly think that cops will not stop Hispanics for no reason? lol ahahahha
What does this have to do with the law? Your scenario could happen anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 10:26 PM
 
Location: Baywood Park
1,634 posts, read 5,914,538 times
Reputation: 684
When the argument isn't winning, it always comes back to, "racism". Our government has let 10-20 million people walk in. Really, how racist are we? People want the rules followed buddy. Why should the county of Mexico have a monopoly on our immigration policy? How many poor Africans would love to live and work in America. I'm sure we could find 12 million Africans. Problem is, it's pretty hard to swim the Atlantic. It's wider than a river. Where's the fairness? People just want the rules followed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 11:34 PM
 
38 posts, read 128,481 times
Reputation: 28
We would do well to heed Mexican criticism of our immigration policy. Congress should immediately enact legislation patterned after Article 67 of the Mexican Population Law. Article 67 stipulates, "Authorities, whether federal, state or municipal ... are required to demand that foreigners prove their legal presence in the country, before attending to any issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2010, 02:10 AM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,420,945 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
I was very interested in reading your article as I will not associate with racist groups but could find no proof in your post, only opinion. Can you provide links showing their association and works to constitute racism? Thanks!
The evidence is there but if you want more...please checkout the video blacknight posted on another thread. There is plenty of evidence in this video, but of course you can remain in denial, if you wish.

The Rachel Maddow Show - Post-Show Factcheck: Dan Stein of FAIR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2010, 02:32 AM
 
111 posts, read 112,729 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
An OP ed opinion piece? That's your proof?

This bill was written by Kris Kobach, Kris W. Kobach an American law professor who is currently a Professor at the University of Missouri–Kansas City School of Law (UMKC).He is also currently on counsel with the Immigration Law Reform Institute in Washington, D.C.--I would say that Mr. Kobach does not qualify as a group of racists.

I offer as rebuttal, a piece that Mr. Kobach wrote for the New York Times--since all we're going off of here is opinion. You might actually begin to comprehend the intent of the bill if you read it. Mr. Kobach addresses each criticism of the bill individually. I've posted one of them below for your reading pleasure.

Op-Ed Contributor - Why Arizona Had to Draw a Line on Illegal Immigrants - NYTimes.com



Of course I realize that without the crutch of ad hominiem attack, you have nothing and so are unlikely to actually research what this bill can and cannot do, but for those more level-headed folks out there, it's a solid insight into the Arizona Immigration Bill.
Quote:
“Reasonable suspicion” is a meaningless term that will permit police misconduct. Over the past four decades, federal courts have issued hundreds of opinions defining those two words. The Arizona law didn’t invent the concept: Precedents list the factors that can contribute to reasonable suspicion; when several are combined, the “totality of circumstances” that results may create reasonable suspicion that a crime has been committed.



Believe it or not, there is a big difference between "reasonable suspicion" and "probable cause". Probable cause is what's outlined in the bill - not reasonable suspicion. It SPECIFICALLY states probable cause.

Reasonable suspicion: legal standard is about to be engaged in criminal activity based on specific and articulable facts and inferences.

Probable cause: evidence sufficient to warrant an arrest or search and seizure


As you can see, big differences. Reasonable suspicion in the context of this bill is a moot.

So let's see, sufficient evidence to warrant an arrest? What would that be now..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2010, 05:33 AM
 
Location: Charleston, SC
5,615 posts, read 12,465,761 times
Reputation: 2525
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
There is nothing in this law that says anyone will get stopped on the basis of their skin color. In fact, it specifies that the cops can only ask while detaining someone in the midst of another crime.

And if you've spent time in Arizona or Texas, you would understand better the travesty and the high costs of allowing illegals to suck on the social systems and perpetuate crimes.
Basically... kind of odd that it seems there's a lot more outrage at this from states other than AZ than there is from within.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2010, 06:35 AM
 
458 posts, read 649,404 times
Reputation: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Basically... kind of odd that it seems there's a lot more outrage at this from states other than AZ than there is from within.


It's easier to judge your neighbors house rather than look at your own. California for one, its State is in the hole for billions of dollars, WHY? IMO, because it's economy has to flip the bill for millions of illegals. But they were one of the first states to say AZ is going about it the wrong way. That's like a fat person telling you how to loose weight.
If this "LAW" is so wrong how come no one has complained about it till now? Why wasn't anyone protesting the federal government last year about this law, its been on the books for quite some time now. Ignorance, they didn't know it was a law till now. Just like banning the drink "Arizona", it's made in New York!
Some people are just itching to beotch about something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2010, 06:43 AM
 
12,870 posts, read 12,814,612 times
Reputation: 4446
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikeman View Post


It's easier to judge your neighbors house rather than look at your own. California for one, its State is in the hole for billions of dollars, WHY? IMO, because it's economy has to flip the bill for millions of illegals. But they were one of the first states to say AZ is going about it the wrong way. That's like a fat person telling you how to loose weight.
If this "LAW" is so wrong how come no one has complained about it till now? Why wasn't anyone protesting the federal government last year about this law, its been on the books for quite some time now. Ignorance, they didn't know it was a law till now. Just like banning the drink "Arizona", it's made in New York!
Some people are just itching to beotch about something.
i feel sorry for the legal residents of california, although they do keep electing idiots.

perhaps the reason these officials complain so much now is that they realize that THEY are now actually going to get the illegal immigrants that they have always professed to want to "harbor" in their sanctuary cities.....

it's part of the NIMBY syndrome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2010, 08:02 AM
 
458 posts, read 649,404 times
Reputation: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i feel sorry for the legal residents of california, although they do keep electing idiots.

perhaps the reason these officials complain so much now is that they realize that THEY are now actually going to get the illegal immigrants that they have always professed to want to "harbor" in their sanctuary cities.....

it's part of the NIMBY syndrome.
ROFL!
Its time now for them (sanctuary cities) to walk the walk!
This is the problem with criticizing; it limits your actions.
Since these cities have denounced AZ for denying illegal immigrants they now have to take them in which they know will only worsen their economy. They should have just shut up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top