U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 01:33 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,410,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The Immigration Law Reform Institute (ILRI) helped draft SB-1070 — the draconian law that means police must stop anyone brown-looking and demand their papers. ILRI is the legal arm of a racist hate group. And it's not stopping at Arizona.
Quote:
IRLI's website says it fights to protect the "legal rights, privileges, and property of U.S. citizens and their communities from injuries and damages caused by unlawful immigration." It is affiliated with a group called the Federation for American Immigration Immigration Reform (FAIR). Advocacy group The Southern Poverty Law Center, which tracks domestic hate groups, is unambiguous in labelling FAIR racist and dangerous. An investigation in 2007 revealed that:
The founder, chief ideologue and long-time funder of FAIR [John Tanton] is a racist. Key staff members have ties to white supremacist groups, some are members, and some have spoken at hate group functions. FAIR has accepted more than $1 million from a racist foundation devoted to studies of race and IQ, and to eugenics - the pseudo-science of breeding a better human race that was utterly discredited by the Nazi euthanasia program. It spreads racist conspiracy theories.
The group has also consulted with Vlaams Belang, a racist Belgian political party that used to be called Vlaams Block. Until the Belgian Supreme court banned it under that name for xenophobia. Which might explain why, according to Think Progress again, FAIR's legal arm, IRLI, has been behind some of the most racist-seeming pieces of legislation on the books. It charges $300 per hour to train Sheriff Joe Arpaio's men, who make sweeps for illegal immigrants, on immigration law. It has tried to stop the children of illegal immigrants attending school, and aligned itself with a measure to curtail their medical treatment and child welfare too.
The Racist Hate Group Behind Arizona's New Immigration Law - Arizona - Gawker

There you have it! For those of you calling those of us against the new bill, " ignorant to the new law", here is the truth.

How is that saying go..."And the truth shall set you free."

I want to clarify, that I am not calling everyone for the law a racist, but to look deeper and see that there is more than meets the eye. Look at its foundation...please people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 06:24 AM

4,271 posts, read 7,887,141 times
There is a user on the Houston forum called AtticaFlinch.

In regards to the law, in response to another poster who asked "Or are you going to stick to your guns that the 70% of polled voters in Arizona who approve this bill are all just racists?"...

Flinch said: "I think most of those 70% don't grasp the legal implications of this law. I think most of that 70% blindly think what they're told to think. I don't think that all of that 70% are racists and xenophobes, though certainly some are. However, I do think the lawmakers who crafted this bill and the lawmakers who sold this bill to the public are racists and xenophobes. Every one of them."

Old 05-03-2010, 06:33 AM

2,206 posts, read 2,138,154 times
I was very interested in reading your article as I will not associate with racist groups but could find no proof in your post, only opinion. Can you provide links showing their association and works to constitute racism? Thanks!

Old 05-03-2010, 06:42 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
An OP ed opinion piece? That's your proof?

This bill was written by Kris Kobach, Kris W. Kobach an American law professor who is currently a Professor at the University of Missouri–Kansas City School of Law (UMKC).He is also currently on counsel with the Immigration Law Reform Institute in Washington, D.C.--I would say that Mr. Kobach does not qualify as a group of racists.

I offer as rebuttal, a piece that Mr. Kobach wrote for the New York Times--since all we're going off of here is opinion. You might actually begin to comprehend the intent of the bill if you read it. Mr. Kobach addresses each criticism of the bill individually. I've posted one of them below for your reading pleasure.

Op-Ed Contributor - Why Arizona Had to Draw a Line on Illegal Immigrants - NYTimes.com

Quote:
“Reasonable suspicion” is a meaningless term that will permit police misconduct. Over the past four decades, federal courts have issued hundreds of opinions defining those two words. The Arizona law didn’t invent the concept: Precedents list the factors that can contribute to reasonable suspicion; when several are combined, the “totality of circumstances” that results may create reasonable suspicion that a crime has been committed.

For example, the Arizona law is most likely to come into play after a traffic stop. A police officer pulls a minivan over for speeding. A dozen passengers are crammed in. None has identification. The highway is a known alien-smuggling corridor. The driver is acting evasively. Those factors combine to create reasonable suspicion that the occupants are not in the country legally.
Of course I realize that without the crutch of ad hominiem attack, you have nothing and so are unlikely to actually research what this bill can and cannot do, but for those more level-headed folks out there, it's a solid insight into the Arizona Immigration Bill.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:05 AM

42,208 posts, read 49,768,169 times
There is nothing in this law that says anyone will get stopped on the basis of their skin color. In fact, it specifies that the cops can only ask while detaining someone in the midst of another crime.

And if you've spent time in Arizona or Texas, you would understand better the travesty and the high costs of allowing illegals to suck on the social systems and perpetuate crimes.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:06 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
The Racist Hate Group Behind Arizona's New Immigration Law - Arizona - Gawker

There you have it! For those of you calling those of us against the new bill, " ignorant to the new law", here is the truth.

How is that saying go..."And the truth shall set you free."

I want to clarify, that I am not calling everyone for the law a racist, but to look deeper and see that there is more than meets the eye. Look at its foundation...please people.
First off FAIR is not a racist hate group and second it is a lie that brown people will be sought out and questioned for no other reason than the color of their skin or ethnicity.

Yes, the truth will set you free. Try it sometime instead of spreading lies.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:18 AM

23,879 posts, read 17,582,241 times
“We call things racism just to get attention. We reduce complicated problems to racism, not because it is racism, but because it works.” - Alfredo Gutierrez

Old 05-03-2010, 07:21 AM

2,206 posts, read 2,138,154 times
Aliens are required by Federal law to carry papers showing proof of residency in the UNITED STATES since the 1940's. Get your papers in order and move along, nothing to see folks....

Old 05-03-2010, 09:34 AM

458 posts, read 647,675 times
The OPs link goes to a site that feeds on kneejerk type people. A site that depends on its readers to NOT follow up on the article.
I would say the original post is trolling as much as the linked site.

This is what the US population is turning into, a group who would rather spread propaganda than research the facts. The AZ law has been a "LAW" for decades. The only difference now is that it is enforcable at a state level. But don't research this just believe me as some of you have believed the OP. If you want to dispute my post then don't be a hopocrit; Dispute the OP too.

Just believe what you what and call it truth, yeah that will make it right

Old 05-03-2010, 09:39 AM

458 posts, read 647,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
Aliens are required by Federal law to carry papers showing proof of residency in the UNITED STATES since the 1940's. Get your papers in order and move along, nothing to see folks....
Good post!
American citizens are required by law to have identification on them. So if your an illegal citizen go throught the proper channels and quit crying. If you want proper protection from the USA then become a citizen. Remember, the Constitution is for Americans only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or