U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 09:36 PM

317 posts, read 343,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
could I ask where this information about Wal Mart hiring illegals came from or what the OP is basing the comments on? I have shopped at many Wal Marts here, in Texas and NM, I have yet to see an employee that I would have wondered if they legal or not...

Nita
Every heard of google?

Wal-Mart Settles Illegal Immigrant Case for $11M - Business And Money | Business News | Financial News - FOXNews.com

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top...iRXgsPEcQ.cspx

250 workers arrested at Wal-Mart on immigration charges - Oct. 23, 2003

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...art-usat_x.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 10:48 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,946,003 times
It's my understanding that in those cases where "Walmart hired illegals" in fact the said illegals were hired by CONTRACTORS hired by WalMart.

I've yet to see a case where the said illegal was working directly through WalMart.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:51 PM

346 posts, read 616,298 times
I loathe Walmart and refuse to shop there for many reasons, illegal immigration not being one of the primary reasons.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:26 AM

1,856 posts, read 2,026,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
It's my understanding that in those cases where "Walmart hired illegals" in fact the said illegals were hired by CONTRACTORS hired by WalMart.

I've yet to see a case where the said illegal was working directly through WalMart.
This is the same excuse the farmers use.
Farmers or Wal-Mart, or any other company that uses contractors, if they hire the contractors then they also hire the illegals.
Why is this so hard for some to understand?

Old 05-17-2010, 01:48 AM

16,416 posts, read 25,206,536 times
Even the wal-mart in miami, still requires papers to be hired. And I do know this for a fact. Keep in mind when you are in this wal-mart, they have to announce (in spanish) "if there is a worker who speaks english, please come to the front for customer assistance" but they are all legal!

Old 05-17-2010, 05:38 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,152,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbiggleswurth View Post
And patronize all the countless other companies that employ illegal immigrants.
Most major American retailers have been busted at one point or another for employing illegals, but the biggest violators seem to be stores like Wal-Mart, Target, supermarkets, and the entire food service industry (especially fast food).

I do not shop at Wal-Mart and I rarely eat out and when I do, I almost never eat fast food. I do buy food at a supermarket because I do not have enough space to grow my own. But I have seen no evidence of illegals working at my local Kroger. (They sure shop there though!) I do shop at Target sometimes but my local Target is not staffed by illegals. The illegals there are shopping and they can be pretty annoying.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:40 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,031,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post

So its ok for Walmart to hire companies that hire hundreds of illegal immigrants.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:31 PM

69,278 posts, read 79,469,982 times
and has it happened in the past 5 years or so. Actually the case was settled 5 years ago, it occurred before that.

I also believe, I simply said I have never seen anyone that appears to be illegal working at any Wal Mart. I might add, I really do not shop at Wal Mart too often and I didn't hardly ever shop there clear back in 2003..

You may also want to be a little more careful. This subject has come up before, never has anyone proved Wal Mart hired illegals, we are talking about the coorporation themselves, not contractors...Now, it is time for you to get things straigt and stop spinning everything.

Nita

Old 05-17-2010, 01:38 PM

69,278 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
So its ok for Walmart to hire companies that hire hundreds of illegal immigrants.
come on, companies can just control so much...I know of a situation and because of the sensitivity I am not mentioning the company or names, where the owner has been sent to prison for tax evation (he will be locked up a long time) part of the reason, paying illegals under the table. One of his employees, hired on contract almost went to prison as well. That person didn't realize the people he was hiring to work were illegals. He always made sure they had something to indicate they were here legally. So there is more than one side to every story..

No one has to shop at Wal Mart, no one has to like the company and many do not, but fair is fair.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:42 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,137,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Only if you know that these companies actively recruit illegals are knowingly hire them.
Right, I agree and the only way to determine that is to stand in the middle of Walmart and scream, "La Migra!!!!!!!!! La Migra!!!!!!!!!" LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or