U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the amended AZ bill?
Yes, I support the bill now that it has been restricted 12 29.27%
No, I support the old bill, they should never have changed it 8 19.51%
I wish they would have made a stronger bill 11 26.83%
I am still against the bill (please explain why) 10 24.39%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 09:07 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,628,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
How long are you going to keep these 460,000 people in jail?
How many guards and jails will that require?
Keep them for as long as it takes to put them on a bus across the border? 4 hrs. max , why do we need to worry about feeding them ? What law says they will need a state provided attorney they have no rights here, A quick bus ride thats all. ( Photo, finger print , an a free bus ticket, and the job is done ) anyone want to start a donation for the fuel for the bus?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 09:10 AM

16,116 posts, read 20,179,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Keep them for as long as it takes to put them on a bus across the border? 4 hrs. max , why do we need to worry about feeding them ? What law says they will need a state provided attorney they have no rights here, A quick bus ride thats all. ( Photo, finger print , an a free bus ticket, and the job is done ) anyone want to start a donation for the fuel for the bus?.
NO, that's the old law. Now you have charged them with a Criminal Offense.
They must have a hearing, and have no money to pay the $2,500 fine
Under the NEW LAW if your city does not charge them with a Criminal Offense F.A.I.R. in Kansas will sue you.

Mustard on half of those 460,00 sandwiches please

Old 05-03-2010, 09:11 AM

19,454 posts, read 13,209,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Arizona Capitol Times » Blog Archive » Patchwork changes to immigration law came in waning hours of session

Arizona Immigration Law Changed

It now labels "lawful contact" as any legal police stop. So, if you're speeding, or run a red light, whatever.

It also now removed the word "soley" from the language, meaning that race, ethnicity, or any other profile like that can not be the only reason for checking someones ID.

I can actually accept this bill now. There are still questions about it, but I'm not going to rail against it the way its written now.
"Lawful contact" was a bit vague. I know what I thought it meant, but being so vague left it wide open for the courts to strike down the entire law.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:18 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,542,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
How long are you going to keep these 460,000 people in jail?
How many guards and jails will that require?
Ummm ... I don't think the plan is to imprison all illegal aliens forever or to have to arrest all of them or to even have any direct interaction with all of them. As with most other things involving some sort of punishment - there should be a large deterring factor. See, when the consequence of an action is appropriately negative people will either stop engaging in the activity or will perform the activity in a different location. An example is punishing ones children for an undesirable behavior - the goal is not to stick them in timeout or spank them or take away the DS/Playstation/Xbox/(or whatever) forever or to have them continue the behavior and having to punish them for that behavior repeatedly in an endless cycle. (How long are you going to spank that child? How long are you going to put them in timeout? will they ever get that toy back? etc etc) Usually at some point the undesirable behavior stops or reduces to a manageable level.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:30 AM

31,385 posts, read 31,097,626 times
While I still have technical problems with the bill, my main objections have been satisfied.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:33 AM

16,116 posts, read 20,179,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
Ummm ... I don't think the plan is to imprison all illegal aliens forever or to have to arrest all of them or to even have any direct interaction with all of them. As with most other things involving some sort of punishment - there should be a large deterring factor. See, when the consequence of an action is appropriately negative people will either stop engaging in the activity or will perform the activity in a different location. An example is punishing ones children for an undesirable behavior - the goal is not to stick them in timeout or spank them or take away the DS/Playstation/Xbox/(or whatever) forever or to have them continue the behavior and having to punish them for that behavior repeatedly in an endless cycle. (How long are you going to spank that child? How long are you going to put them in timeout? will they ever get that toy back? etc etc) Usually at some point the undesirable behavior stops or reduces to a manageable level.
OK half that's 230,000 Baloney Sandwiches. How many prisons and guards will we need? Under this law they MUST be charged with a criminal Offense or the municipality can be sued by F.A.I.R. or other out of state Lawyers. So I think we will need another few thousand Public Defenders

Old 05-03-2010, 09:39 AM

31,385 posts, read 31,097,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Keep them for as long as it takes to put them on a bus across the border? 4 hrs. max ,
Sorry, that ain't gonna happen.

Quote:
why do we need to worry about feeding them ?
If you are going to detain someone, you are going to have to feed them.

Quote:
What law says they will need a state provided attorney they have no rights here,
For the millionth time, anyone within the jurisdiction of the United States has the right to habeas corpus and the same, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 8th Amendment privileges as any natural born citizen.

Quote:
A quick bus ride thats all. ( Photo, finger print , an a free bus ticket, and the job is done ) anyone want to start a donation for the fuel for the bus?.
And who is going to sit on the bus to make sure they stay on it?

Old 05-03-2010, 09:50 AM

1,503 posts, read 881,918 times
Let me know the first time the sheriff raids the RV park and take a bunch of white Canadians into custody.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:53 AM

17,286 posts, read 24,995,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
Let me know the first time the sheriff raids the RV park and take a bunch of white Canadians into custody.
One would hope if the Canadians are in an RV they will have their passports showing lawful entry into the US via checkpoint at the US-Canadian border.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:06 AM

85,041 posts, read 98,964,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocrisyFinder View Post
my exact sentiments.

However, im still puzzled by how many conservatives were for this bill before it was amended. It was amended because it was unconstitutional.

Any conservatives care to explain why you were for going against the constitution?
Good question, especially in light of the words of Guru Sarah:

“We’ll keep clinging to our constitution and our guns and religion and you can keep the change. Because the voters are coming,” Palin said of Obama.

Read more: Sarah Palin throws Boston tea party - Andy Barr - POLITICO.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration