U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the amended AZ bill?
Yes, I support the bill now that it has been restricted 12 29.27%
No, I support the old bill, they should never have changed it 8 19.51%
I wish they would have made a stronger bill 11 26.83%
I am still against the bill (please explain why) 10 24.39%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 05:26 AM

24,889 posts, read 20,311,199 times

Advertisements

Arizona Capitol Times Blog Archive Patchwork changes to immigration law came in waning hours of session

Arizona Immigration Law Changed

It now labels "lawful contact" as any legal police stop. So, if you're speeding, or run a red light, whatever.

It also now removed the word "soley" from the language, meaning that race, ethnicity, or any other profile like that can not be the only reason for checking someones ID.

I can actually accept this bill now. There are still questions about it, but I'm not going to rail against it the way its written now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 05:29 AM

22,243 posts, read 14,737,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Arizona Capitol Times Blog Archive Patchwork changes to immigration law came in waning hours of session

Arizona Immigration Law Changed

It now labels "lawful contact" as any legal police stop. So, if you're speeding, or run a red light, whatever.

It also now removed the word "soley" from the language, meaning that race, ethnicity, or any other profile like that can not be the only reason for checking someones ID.

I can actually accept this bill now. There are still questions about it, but I'm not going to rail against it the way its written now.
I think it is now more reflective of what the Federal Law is, hence, what is the necessity? The Federal Law just needs to be enforced.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:11 AM

60,155 posts, read 30,614,837 times
The state can now arrest illegals, now that state law has been established.

Many states have laws that mirror federal laws and are enforced on the state level

Remember, this is a people down Republic, not a Government down Democracy.

States can make any law they wish, as long as it is within constitutional rights.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:20 AM

1,503 posts, read 879,843 times
If you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig. This law is a pig. Arizona will repeal it.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:34 AM

8,151 posts, read 5,412,504 times
As I understand it now I have to be doing something for the cop to ask me about citizenship,if that is the case I support it.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:41 AM

16,116 posts, read 20,152,267 times
this law makes being in the country illegally a State Criminal Offence. It then requires you arrest them.

Now what do you do? Under the old law you would just turn them over to ICE for deportation.
Now they will have to get a hearing and possibly a stste provided lawyer.
They will sit in our jails by the thousands awaiting hearings because they can't make bail.

DUUUUUH

460,000 Baloney Sandwiches please?

Old 05-03-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
this law makes being in the country illegally a State Criminal Offence. It then requires you arrest them.

Now what do you do? Under the old law you would just turn them over to ICE for deportation.
They will sit in our jails by the thousands awaiting hearings because they can't make bail.

DUUUUUH

Sure beats the cost of them running loose and breeding on American soil.
Sucking federal tax dollars. It is less cost for the states that have to pick up the slack. So although there will be cost, it will be lower than then working the system.

Last edited by BentBow; 05-03-2010 at 08:01 AM..

Old 05-03-2010, 07:56 AM

16,116 posts, read 20,152,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Sure beats the cost of them running loose and breeding.
Sucking federal tax dollars. It is less cost for the states that have to pick up the slack. So although there will be cost, it will be lower than then working the system.
How long are you going to keep these 460,000 people in jail?
How many guards and jails will that require?

Old 05-03-2010, 07:59 AM

12,870 posts, read 12,773,798 times
Quote:

DUUUUUH

here is the bill. they still get turned over to ICE.
http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070s.pdf

C. IF AN ALIEN WHO IS UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES IS CONVICTED OF A VIOLATION OF STATE OR LOCAL LAW, ON DISCHARGE FROM IMPRISONMENT OR ASSESSMENT OF ANY FINE THAT IS IMPOSED, THE ALIEN SHALL BE
TRANSFERRED IMMEDIATELY TO THE CUSTODY OF THE UNITED STATES IMMIGRATION AND CUSTOMS ENFORCEMENT OR THE UNITED STATES CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION.

D. NOTWITHSTANDING ANY OTHER LAW, A LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY MAY SECURELY TRANSPORT AN ALIEN WHO IS UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES AND WHO IS IN THE AGENCY'S CUSTODY TO A FEDERAL FACILITY IN THIS STATE OR TO ANY OTHER POINT OF TRANSFER INTO FEDERAL CUSTODY THAT IS OUTSIDE THE JURISDICTION OF THE LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY.

there are also sections which deal with hiring illegal immigrants and the ramifications of that, as well.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
How long are you going to keep these 460,000 people in jail?
How many guards and jails will that require?

Have you read the law and the punishment for breaking that law?
There is a time specified, along with a fine.

They are turned over to ICE once they have served their State time.
Then you can blame ICE, the federal arm, if they deport them, or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration