U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-03-2010, 01:37 PM
 
10,720 posts, read 16,836,441 times
Reputation: 9878

Advertisements

I've noticed the entire state of Arizona seems to be demonized on this forum and the media. What people don't know is a significant number of Arizona's most powerful politicians and public figures oppose this law. They include the following

1. State Attorney General - Terry Goddard (he is running for governor and is the primary contender to oppose Jan Brewer)
2. Phoenix Mayor - Phil Gordon
3. Phoenix Police Chief - Jack Harris
4. Maricopa District Attorney - Rick Romley
5. Pima County Sheriff
6. Various Police officers all over the state including Tuscon Police officer Martin Escobar who filed a lawsuit
7. Mayors of various cities in Arizona are joining to file a lawsuit to which Phoenix mayor Phil Gordon will join them

The people in Arizona did not vote for this law in a general election. Our politicians voted for this law and our governor signed it. Due to the lawsuits, this law will likely be delayed and voted on in the 2012 General Election. Arizona voters will vote it down then.

The same Rasmussen poll that showed the majority of Arizonans support this law also showed the majority of Arizonans had "Severe Concern" (highest category possible for this question) this law would violate civil liberties and civil rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-03-2010, 01:39 PM
 
Location: ...at a 3AM epiphany
2,206 posts, read 2,137,548 times
Reputation: 453
Well, it's law and I for one of many millions of Americans, support it. I'm sure the voters in AZ will also voice how they feel come November as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Central Coast
2,014 posts, read 4,720,267 times
Reputation: 815
The act of the AZ legislature will be taught in Poli Sci classes for years as an example of pandering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
5,361 posts, read 7,052,536 times
Reputation: 3973
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I've noticed the entire state of Arizona seems to be demonized on this forum and the media. What people don't know is a significant number of Arizona's most powerful politicians and public figures oppose this law. They include the following

1. State Attorney General - Terry Goddard (he is running for governor and is the primary contender to oppose Jan Brewer)
2. Phoenix Mayor - Phil Gordon
3. Phoenix Police Chief - Jack Harris
4. Maricopa District Attorney - Rick Romley
5. Pima County Sheriff
6. Various Police officers all over the state including Tuscon Police officer Martin Escobar who filed a lawsuit
7. Mayors of various cities in Arizona are joining to file a lawsuit to which Phoenix mayor Phil Gordon will join them

The people in Arizona did not vote for this law in a general election. Our politicians voted for this law and our governor signed it. Due to the lawsuits, this law will likely be delayed and voted on in the 2012 General Election. Arizona voters will vote it down then.
While it's true that many people outside of Arizona do not understand that AZ is a fiscally conservative state while being primarily liberal socially, that still doesn't negate the fact (nor prevent people from believing that) people should enter the U.S. legally, there are laws in place for a reason, and we'd like to secure our borders. Unfortunately, Washington doesn't completely understand its own laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 02:14 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
The act of the AZ legislature will be taught in Poli Sci classes for years as an example of pandering.
Naw, it would be way overshadowed by the pandering of the feds to the open borders crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 02:28 PM
 
10,720 posts, read 16,836,441 times
Reputation: 9878
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
While it's true that many people outside of Arizona do not understand that AZ is a fiscally conservative state while being primarily liberal socially, that still doesn't negate the fact (nor prevent people from believing that) people should enter the U.S. legally, there are laws in place for a reason, and we'd like to secure our borders. Unfortunately, Washington doesn't completely understand its own laws.
What does Washington have to do with our own state not enforcing its own laws? You realize we have a law that makes it illegal to hire illegal immigrants. That law is never enforced. Imagine if we started prosecuting major home builders for hiring illegals. Why does Sheriff Joe not go after major corporations and instead goes after Filbertos fast food and other small time companies. There would be an outrage if we started prosecuting hotels, pool builders, landscape companies, and major restaurants for hiring illegals. It's total hypocrisy. We are okay with violating civil liberties but not prosecuting the very people who hire and lure illegals here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
5,361 posts, read 7,052,536 times
Reputation: 3973
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
What does Washington have to do with our own state not enforcing its own laws? You realize we have a law that makes it illegal to hire illegal immigrants. That law is never enforced. Imagine if we started prosecuting major home builders for hiring illegals. Why does Sheriff Joe not go after major corporations and instead goes after Filbertos fast food and other small time companies. There would be an outrage if we started prosecuting hotels, pool builders, landscape companies, and major restaurants for hiring illegals. It's total hypocrisy. We are okay with violating civil liberties but not prosecuting the very people who hire and lure illegals here.
The Arizona law mirrors that of the Federal, yet Washington wants to criticize Arizona while it fails to act on its own laws created. I'm well aware that it is illegal to hire illegal immigrants, and I like many Arizonans would like to see an end to that. Using common sense, you do understand that with the exception of home-builders and corporations that hire for menial jobs, illegal immigrants are more likely to work at restaurants, low-paying jobs than those that may require a post-secondary education?

I posted this earlier:

The Social Issues That Arise From Illegal Immigration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 02:47 PM
 
Location: ...at a 3AM epiphany
2,206 posts, read 2,137,548 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Naw, it would be way overshadowed by the pandering of the feds to the open borders crowd.
You got that right, it will go down as an embarrassment for this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Lake Norman, North Carolina
1,213 posts, read 1,397,570 times
Reputation: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I've noticed the entire state of Arizona seems to be demonized on this forum and the media. What people don't know is a significant number of Arizona's most powerful politicians and public figures oppose this law. They include the following

1. State Attorney General - Terry Goddard (he is running for governor and is the primary contender to oppose Jan Brewer)
2. Phoenix Mayor - Phil Gordon
3. Phoenix Police Chief - Jack Harris
4. Maricopa District Attorney - Rick Romley
5. Pima County Sheriff
6. Various Police officers all over the state including Tuscon Police officer Martin Escobar who filed a lawsuit
7. Mayors of various cities in Arizona are joining to file a lawsuit to which Phoenix mayor Phil Gordon will join them

The people in Arizona did not vote for this law in a general election. Our politicians voted for this law and our governor signed it. Due to the lawsuits, this law will likely be delayed and voted on in the 2012 General Election. Arizona voters will vote it down then.

The same Rasmussen poll that showed the majority of Arizonans support this law also showed the majority of Arizonans had "Severe Concern" (highest category possible for this question) this law would violate civil liberties and civil rights.
A pretty good list of amnesty democrats and ethnocentric hispanics?
Actually, the majority of Arizonans had severe concern, because one never knows when an irrational liberal activist judge might rule the law unconstitutional for touchy feely reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 04:44 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
What does Washington have to do with our own state not enforcing its own laws? You realize we have a law that makes it illegal to hire illegal immigrants. That law is never enforced. Imagine if we started prosecuting major home builders for hiring illegals. Why does Sheriff Joe not go after major corporations and instead goes after Filbertos fast food and other small time companies. There would be an outrage if we started prosecuting hotels, pool builders, landscape companies, and major restaurants for hiring illegals. It's total hypocrisy. We are okay with violating civil liberties but not prosecuting the very people who hire and lure illegals here.
Are you not familiar with the many ICE raids on businesses in the past couple of years? The employers have been prosecuted in many of those incidents. That is why we need e-verify mandated across the board so that we get them all along with their slave labor illegal aliens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top