U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 05:29 PM

409 posts, read 480,795 times

Advertisements

"As I write, I have my papers on me Ė and not just because Iím in Arizona. Iím an immigrant, and it is a condition of my admission to this great land that I carry documentary proof of my residency status with me at all times and be prepared to produce it to law enforcement officials, whether on a business trip to Tucson or taking a 20-minute stroll in the woods back at my pad in New Hampshire."

Who would impose such an outrageous Nazi fascist discriminatory law?

Er, well, that would be Franklin Roosevelt.

http://www.thebulletin.us/articles/2010/04/30/commentary/op-eds/doc4bdb41995e557176993000.txt (broken link)

WHAT YOU CAN DO TO STOP ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION. YOU can make a difference! START HERE: The Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR): US Immigration Reform & What You Can Do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 05:32 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,589,351 times
I don't have a problem with requiring people to have ID with them at all times. The problem I have is that the same requirement should be shouldered by citizens too. Why should only immigrants- even LEGAL ones- be required to do something Americans are not?

Old 05-03-2010, 05:35 PM

24,889 posts, read 20,307,565 times
Just don't break the law, and they won't ask for your ID.

And yes, the law has been amended to say just that.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:39 PM

8,640 posts, read 7,732,598 times
I could not get my drivers license in this state until I provided my birth certificate so I have proof on me all the time. The invasion of illegal immigrants have caused this issue so anyone that does not like it ,should fight against illegal immigration.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:40 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,169,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I don't have a problem with requiring people to have ID with them at all times. The problem I have is that the same requirement should be shouldered by citizens too. Why should only immigrants- even LEGAL ones- be required to do something Americans are not?
always been that way.you need to have id or you can go to jail, otherwise every time i get busted i can just say i'm KevK and let you deal with it

Old 05-03-2010, 05:44 PM

5,903 posts, read 6,352,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
always been that way.you need to have id or you can go to jail, otherwise every time i get busted i can just say i'm KevK and let you deal with it
Exactly... Anyone suspected of a crime has to be identified. if the ID does not jive or you can't be found in the system, it is the repsonsibility of the officer to find out who you are. This goes for anyone.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:48 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,589,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
No, the law only applies to immigrants. It does not require American citizens to carry ID. It should be EQUAL under the law. Require EVERYBODY to have ID at all times. That is what most of the world does. And the police can demand to see it anytime they wish. In France they regularly do "ID checks" and you can be hauled to the pokey for 4 hours if you fail to show it. I always carry mine as does my family. I have no problem with it. But it is not right to require my wife to carry it and not me.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:50 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,296,570 times
I don't leave the house without my ID. You never know when you might need it. Doesn't everyone carry ID in their wallet or purse.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:55 PM

5,903 posts, read 6,352,776 times
Quote:
No, the law only applies to immigrants. It does not require American citizens to carry ID. It should be EQUAL under the law. Require EVERYBODY to have ID at all times. That is what most of the world does. And the police can demand to see it anytime they wish. In France they regularly do "ID checks" and you can be hauled to the pokey for 4 hours if you fail to show it. I always carry mine as does my family. I have no problem with it. But it is not right to require my wife to carry it and not me.
You are wrong. The law says a crime must have been committed or a suspected crime was committed in order for the officer to ask for ID. In that case no matter the race, they are going to identify you.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:55 PM

24,889 posts, read 20,307,565 times
Quote:
Actually the wording of the law is anyone suspected of being an illegal immigrant, during legal contact, can be checked.

While the majority of illegals are Hispanic in Arizona, if anyone is suspected, they can be checked.

Arizona has said that a valid drivers license will qualify as a form of identification.

All legal immigrants are required to carry their green card with them at all times. Thats been that way for decades now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration