U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 02:33 PM

13,057 posts, read 21,189,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
I didn't say that only children can learn a language.

I said that it is more difficult for an adult to learn a language, and adults must learn differently than children do. Children pick up their language from their environment. Adults must study.

Combine that with jobs that take long hours and the academic defeatism in many of the campesino communities, and that explains how many campesinos have poor English even while staying in the U.S. for a long time.
So you're saying the problem is with the campesino and not the difficulty of the language. I think everyone here will agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 02:43 PM

9,015 posts, read 7,106,465 times
It always amazes me that so few people recognize sarcastic cynicism.
"sad"; No, actually it wasn't sad, it was funny!
"displaced": Well, yes, they HAVE been displaced from the place where they were living, their children have lost their friends, etc. all because some folks consider them to be criminals!
Which, of course, they ARE! Whether they choose to admit it or not, they ARE criminals.
They try to make it sound like they lost their jobs due to Arizona's new immigration law.
Maybe they did, I don't know.
Perhaps they DO speak some English. However, the woman spoke to the reporter in Spanish.
Why? she didn't say.
Even being unemployed, they had enough money to load everyone and everything in their van and head North to Colorado!
I really have no sympathy for them at all!

Old 05-05-2010, 03:13 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,650,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
So you're saying the problem is with the campesino and not the difficulty of the language. I think everyone here will agree.
I agree 100% especially in light of why so many Asian/Euro kids who arrive her @ age 12 or younger usually speak unaccented American English by age 20.

Needless to say: that is still another argument to clamp down hard on immigration from Latin America-------especially in light of the fact that the USA is still desirable so we can pick and choose whom we allow in.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:44 PM

12,870 posts, read 12,783,283 times
the media seems to be always having a giant pity party for illegal immigrants, but what about the stories where a deputy gets shot in the back and has to lie in the grass until he is rescued. what about his fear or his dreams?
Phoenix News | Arizona News | azfamily.com | Video

what about all the american stories where americans are losing their unemployment benefits and there aren't enough jobs because we let over 20 million people sneak into our country?

it is amazing that our country was economically strong enough to tolerate it as long as it did, but even a great country can be brought down by unchecked illegal immigration and open borders.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:45 PM

2,206 posts, read 2,140,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I agree 100% especially in light of why so many Asian/Euro kids who arrive her @ age 12 or younger usually speak unaccented American English by age 20.

Needless to say: that is still another argument to clamp down hard on immigration from Latin America-------especially in light of the fact that the USA is still desirable so we can pick and choose whom we allow in.
There was a story in the California forum, I believe, where a man and his wife decided to visit San Diego from an European country. He was so excited. I read as he prepared his papers, made his arrangements, encouraged by America to come and visit. He did. Upon return to his country he described his visit. His first and only impression of the the United States was in the predominately hispanic community where they cooked food on the sidewalks, filth was abound, they were hassled by mexicans and told to go home, people in restaurants were filthy as well as their servers, etc. He studied English to be able to communicate and was insulted for not knowing spanish. This man planned his trip for 4 months to be shown that "this" was America. How embarrassing. He vowed never to return. We need to pick and choose. To me, those who "greeted" this visitor was not pro-American. Were those there illegal? I have no clue but I would venture to say many are or at least filled with pro-illegal alien advocates.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:59 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,826,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Yes, there is a federal program. But there are also state programs too.

The quote referenced: "It doesn't include housing funded by state and local governments, where eligibility requirements vary. Massachusetts, where Obama's aunt occupied one of about 50,000 state-funded units, doesn't ask immigration status under a 1977 federal consent decree in a class-action lawsuit that prohibits the state from denying the benefit to illegal immigrants."

Some states explicitly allow illegals into their programs.
We have thousands of citizens waiting for subsidized housing, while people who shouldnít even be here are receiving those slots. Itís one of many illegal immigration travesties, and another example of how illegal aliens are fleecing this country. It brings to mind an apartment fire in DC. It was reported that some of the illegal alien residents received temporary housing before citizens. Iím sorry, but that is simply wrong.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:27 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,547,467 times
No....I'm sorry.

The Mexican Government and all it's patently corrupt power structures (as well as similar Central American Governments) and the horridly enabling policies of the U.S. vis a vis those governments have lead to the massive flight of Mexican citizens and others to the U.S. as displaced persons...
The U.S. needs to drop the schizophrenic "immigration" policies. We want weak corrupt governments to the South of us....but we don't want their problems spilling over into our lands....Enforcing existing U.S. statues re: immigration is only half the solution....The other half is MASSIVE change (remember Hope and Change?) in the governments in Mexico and Central America. This change will only come about if the U.S. takes on policies that remove corrupt governments and empower populations and not political ruling elites...

Old 05-05-2010, 08:34 PM

5,615 posts, read 12,437,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
No....I'm sorry.

The Mexican Government and all it's patently corrupt power structures (as well as similar Central American Governments) and the horridly enabling policies of the U.S. vis a vis those governments have lead to the massive flight of Mexican citizens and others to the U.S. as displaced persons...
The U.S. needs to drop the schizophrenic "immigration" policies. We want weak corrupt governments to the South of us....but we don't want their problems spilling over into our lands....Enforcing existing U.S. statues re: immigration is only half the solution....The other half is MASSIVE change (remember Hope and Change?) in the governments in Mexico and Central America. This change will only come about if the U.S. takes on policies that remove corrupt governments and empower populations and not political ruling elites...
Their governments and the centuries-old hacienda system of corruption can only change if the culture wants to change. And that change doesn't involve people sneaking illegally into foreign lands. Interfere too much and you're much more likely to get resentment and a leader like Hugo Chavez riding in on a wave of anti-Americanism.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:00 PM

14,253 posts, read 14,760,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yet a motivated half-way intelligent adult can learn to communicate in another language, in less than 6 months.

It's a total myth that only children can learn a language.
I went to work in the French speaking part of Switzerland for my company (same one I am still with). Got myself a French speaking girlfriend and within a couple of months I was fluent enough to be able to work in the language. Within a couple of years I had French speaking clients asking for me to be on the account.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:06 AM

4,286 posts, read 7,899,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
We have thousands of citizens waiting for subsidized housing, while people who shouldnít even be here are receiving those slots. Itís one of many illegal immigration travesties, and another example of how illegal aliens are fleecing this country. It brings to mind an apartment fire in DC. It was reported that some of the illegal alien residents received temporary housing before citizens. Iím sorry, but that is simply wrong.
In at least one case the situation is due to a court order. From the source quoted : Many illegal immigrants live in public housing - USATODAY.com

"Onyango transferred to an apartment funded only by the state, which cannot ask about immigration status under the court order"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration