U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-04-2010, 08:20 PM
 
5,906 posts, read 6,354,513 times
Reputation: 5447

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mading6 View Post
I don't care if they made their way into a prestigious university (I mean that is good) BUT did you read their demands. ??
Quote:
The protesters, who were joined by about 75 supporters, have a long list of other demands. They're also asking the institution to drop disciplinary charges filed against students who occupied a university building earlier this year, to rehire laid off janitors and to make the campus a sanctuary for undocumented immigrants.
They left off a demand to allow Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to give this years commencement speech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-04-2010, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Mastic Beach
752 posts, read 1,240,662 times
Reputation: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
good... I hope they starve to death. Maybe they should go try to live off the books and soak up government funding in some foreign country. I wish them luck with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2010, 09:12 PM
 
425 posts, read 273,213 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juced View Post
That might backfire, considering what you mentioned is illegal.
How so ? It's not like you say anything. There are a number of ways to circumvent getting really bad tenants like selective advertising. Another way it to let a good tenant refer some one to replace them , and the list goes on. We had a guy take all of the furniture out of his house and throw a pay to get in sex party. He then decided it would be a good idea to ask the guy painting the house to do a little damage to his car so he could make a claim and not pay even more rent. Yep a class act UCB affirmative action student.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2010, 09:15 PM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,137,446 times
Reputation: 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
good i hate wasting food
LOL!

I think when people go on a hunger strike, we should let them and not interfere. Whatever happens, happens. Maybe they will be in a newspaper archive somewhere in history. Isn't that what they want anyway? Attention?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2010, 09:17 PM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,137,446 times
Reputation: 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
good... I hope they starve to death. Maybe they should go try to live off the books and soak up government funding in some foreign country. I wish them luck with that.
Can they sue you if they die? LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2010, 09:17 PM
 
111 posts, read 112,454 times
Reputation: 25
@RabbiDakota

I've encountered similar discrimination, this time against whites and blacks. They only want to rent to Asians and Hispanics because according to them, blacks and whites complain a lot.

On the other hand, descriminating based on race o religion is illegal and can get you sued if you're not careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2010, 09:17 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,583,040 times
Reputation: 1270
I haven't read the legislation yet, but does anyone else feel that the people who are fighting against this really are acting off of what they are being told by the media's reporting of it and just the general assumptions they have? I mean, I was guilty of it too, but I prefer to keep my mouth shut on this until I read what exactly the Arizona plan says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2010, 10:15 PM
 
425 posts, read 273,213 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juced View Post
@RabbiDakota

I've encountered similar discrimination, this time against whites and blacks. They only want to rent to Asians and Hispanics because according to them, blacks and whites complain a lot.

On the other hand, descriminating based on race o religion is illegal and can get you sued if you're not careful.
All in all being a landlord is a pain in the arse . No longer in the biz so it dosn't matter but biz partner is and he has few problems because of the nature of this rentals being UCB student related makes it easier. The bottom line is you don't rent according to race , you steer towards renting to serious students. You know like engineers , law students , biologists , physicists , chemists ... Avoid all of the stuff that trouble makers call an education and look for grads especially. Let the student housing folks and far off rentals take care of the young budding socialists .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2010, 10:26 PM
 
425 posts, read 273,213 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I haven't read the legislation yet, but does anyone else feel that the people who are fighting against this really are acting off of what they are being told by the media's reporting of it and just the general assumptions they have? I mean, I was guilty of it too, but I prefer to keep my mouth shut on this until I read what exactly the Arizona plan says.
In Berkeley ? Well the weather just turned nice and everybody wants to protest . Give them a reason and they are game. The last time we had a parade to protest tuition fee hikes they behaved until the very end , then a couple hundred of them jumped onto the interstate and caused all kinds of problems for Bay area commuters and truckers. Seriously , I want to know just what kinds of jobs these idiots think are waiting for them when they graduate ? More bureaucrats / social workers........ There is a day coming when employers will again legally discriminate .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2010, 02:55 PM
 
5,906 posts, read 6,354,513 times
Reputation: 5447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi Dakota View Post
In Berkeley ? Well the weather just turned nice and everybody wants to protest . Give them a reason and they are game. The last time we had a parade to protest tuition fee hikes they behaved until the very end , then a couple hundred of them jumped onto the interstate and caused all kinds of problems for Bay area commuters and truckers. Seriously , I want to know just what kinds of jobs these idiots think are waiting for them when they graduate ? More bureaucrats / social workers........ There is a day coming when employers will again legally discriminate .
They demand:
Lower tuition
Sanctuary for illegals
Hiring of layed off employees

It's obvious none of them are economics majors or they would realize.... California ain't got no money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top