U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-04-2010, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Arizona
12,738 posts, read 7,363,883 times
Reputation: 6717

Advertisements

After reading hundreds of posts complaining about the illegal immigrants on CD and all the finger pointing going around from both sides of the issue, I thought of some things that we, as American citizens could do to help the issue. It all involves sacrifice on our parts and I'm not sure any Americans are ready for sacrifice. It's always easier to blame everyone else for our problems rather than take the bull by the horns and take personal responsibility. So here are two things we could do to alleviate the illegal immigration problem.

1. Over and over I read posters say that Americans would take the jobs that illegals do and that it is a myth that they wouldn't. Well put your labor where your mouth is. If out of work Americans were to go to Home Depot and other outlets and stand there with the illegals and compete for the day jobs then the illegals would leave the site. Put a tag on your shirt that says "American Citizen Looking For Work". Prove to the world that Americans would take the jobs that illegals do. If every day job, hot spot in the nation had American citizens competing for the day jobs, many of the illlegals would leave and it would prove your point.

2. Boycott Drugs from South of the border. Many Americans rant and rave about the drug dealers from down south and the impact on America. But everybody still does drugs. Make the sacrifice and stop buying mexican weed. If you have to smoke, make it Humbolt or canadian weed. Every smoker can tell the difference between Mexican Weed and humbolt weed. Stop buying cocaine. There are only 3 types, Bolivian Flake, Columbian Rock and German Merc. If you have to snort, snort German Merc. The drug war will only be won when american citizens want it to be won. Each citizen should be willing to sacrifice for their beliefs. If not, quit your bellyaching and stop looking for the easy solution like SB1070. I'd like to see the Tea Party protests carry signs that said "Boycott Mexican Weed!" Do something real!

Of course many will say that american's will not take these measures and they are probably right. Everybody wants someone else to do something about the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-04-2010, 11:37 AM
 
Location: South Bay Native
13,050 posts, read 21,175,320 times
Reputation: 22525
There is really no point in trying to solve the problem before the border is shut. Until we lock it down thousands will pour over unfettered each day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2010, 11:45 AM
 
Location: OCEAN BREEZES AND VIEWS SAN CLEMENTE
19,899 posts, read 15,298,472 times
Reputation: 6451
We can all compalin till we are blue in the face, unless our FEDERAL GOVERNMENT want's to find a solution to this problem once and for all, all of our points our just MOOT, means absoutely nothing, does not matter what we the people think, guess our opinions don't matter on this subject, i blame the POLITICIANS REPUBLICINAS AND DEMOCRATS, one no better on this issue, if they really wanted to do something about this terrible issue, i am sure they could!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2010, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Arizona
12,738 posts, read 7,363,883 times
Reputation: 6717
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
There is really no point in trying to solve the problem before the border is shut. Until we lock it down thousands will pour over unfettered each day.
I agree that the border needs to be closed. Probably at the cost of many, many billions of dollars but I don't believe that there is no point to the measures I have described. There is no cost involved except sacrifice on the part of Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2010, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Arizona
12,738 posts, read 7,363,883 times
Reputation: 6717
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
We can all compalin till we are blue in the face, unless our FEDERAL GOVERNMENT want's to find a solution to this problem once and for all, all of our points our just MOOT, means absoutely nothing, does not matter what we the people think, guess our opinions don't matter on this subject, i blame the POLITICIANS REPUBLICINAS AND DEMOCRATS, one no better on this issue, if they really wanted to do something about this terrible issue, i am sure they could!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But this is something we, as citizens could do while we pressure the government to take appropriate action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2010, 12:03 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,156,126 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
After reading hundreds of posts complaining about the illegal immigrants on CD and all the finger pointing going around from both sides of the issue, I thought of some things that we, as American citizens could do to help the issue. It all involves sacrifice on our parts and I'm not sure any Americans are ready for sacrifice. It's always easier to blame everyone else for our problems rather than take the bull by the horns and take personal responsibility. So here are two things we could do to alleviate the illegal immigration problem.

1. Over and over I read posters say that Americans would take the jobs that illegals do and that it is a myth that they wouldn't. Well put your labor where your mouth is. If out of work Americans were to go to Home Depot and other outlets and stand there with the illegals and compete for the day jobs then the illegals would leave the site. Put a tag on your shirt that says "American Citizen Looking For Work". Prove to the world that Americans would take the jobs that illegals do. If every day job, hot spot in the nation had American citizens competing for the day jobs, many of the illlegals would leave and it would prove your point.

2. Boycott Drugs from South of the border. Many Americans rant and rave about the drug dealers from down south and the impact on America. But everybody still does drugs. Make the sacrifice and stop buying mexican weed. If you have to smoke, make it Humbolt or canadian weed. Every smoker can tell the difference between Mexican Weed and humbolt weed. Stop buying cocaine. There are only 3 types, Bolivian Flake, Columbian Rock and German Merc. If you have to snort, snort German Merc. The drug war will only be won when american citizens want it to be won. Each citizen should be willing to sacrifice for their beliefs. If not, quit your bellyaching and stop looking for the easy solution like SB1070. I'd like to see the Tea Party protests carry signs that said "Boycott Mexican Weed!" Do something real!

Of course many will say that american's will not take these measures and they are probably right. Everybody wants someone else to do something about the problem.
Your so-called solutions have many flaws in them.

1. It is against the law to stand on street corners or Home Depot and solicit work and against the law for employers to hire them. Both the workers and the employers are committing tax evasion and violating other labor laws. How you going to get past that one? Americans wouldn't be able to compete with the illegals anyway as they would still work for less than the Americans standing there with them. It just doesn't pay a liveable wage for an American with a family either.

2. Most Americans don't do drugs and you would not get the cooperation of those who do.

Better come up with some better solutions or read the feasible ones already posted in here like e-verify, securing the border, removing all benefits to illegal aliens including changing the birthright citizenship clause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2010, 12:18 PM
 
Location: somewhere in the woods
16,886 posts, read 12,546,843 times
Reputation: 5210
I already did an explanation of my closing the borders to keep illegals out and not many were concerned with it or said it would cost too much or some other sob story about illegal aliens rights or something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2010, 03:12 PM
 
719 posts, read 842,115 times
Reputation: 1247
They won't be stopped because Americans lack the backbone to stop them, especially now in light of decades of failed policies and enforcement. That would require bold action and personal sacrifice on a level that we could never muster until, say, an invading foreign army threatened to take away our TV shows.

I read a recent CNN poll that said 37% of American wanted all illegals deported. So say only 25 million American citizens desperately want to build a border fence and kick out illegals and change the laws. Beyond voting and complaining, none but a small trickle will actually take real action that requires guts and sacrifice. Those who do are ridiculed by the popular media that has become like a second conscience for most Americans. The remaining 24.5 million or so cower in their homes behind their TVs and monitors, upset but at least happy to have avoided being called "racist."

That's just a tragic fact. We are largely self-absorbed, self serving, miserable little shadows of the Americans that founded this country and lost life and limb fighting impossible odds for their vision of a better America.

Go ahead and prove me wrong. Get 25 million American citizens to demand that the border fence be built and threaten to stop paying taxes if it isn't. Get 25 million to stop eating fast food until the owners stop hiring illegals. March a few million into Washington demanding that birth-right citizenship not apply to children of anyone here illegally. Collectively restore the value and meaning of what it means to be an American citizen and never cater another business that has "press 2 for [insert foreign language here]" in its phone greeting.

Solutions would appear very quickly. But it simply isn't going to happen, not because the millions of illegals stopped us, and not because the moronic politicians that we elected stopped us, and not because the media propaganda machines stopped us.

It won't happen because we will not do it. Even while we are yet free and are still standing on the foundations of what made American greatness possible, we will not do it.

So get ready for the statistical certitude of more of the same, or worse, amnesty.

Either way we are getting what we deserve because we make it possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top