U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 10:44 PM

317 posts, read 343,719 times

Advertisements

You can pull over 12 million illegal immigrants and card them for all I care, probable cause or not. No complaints here. I do have a problem if you pull over citizens and require them to prove their citizenship. Me, my family, and my friends are all american citizens and we should not have to prove our citizenship. Why should i be searched and interrogated because illegals are breaking the law. Take it up with the illegals not with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 10:46 PM

111 posts, read 112,434 times
I believe they changed the law already, they have to actual get you for something before they can ask you for your citizenship status.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:49 PM

317 posts, read 343,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juced View Post
I believe they changed the law already, they have to actual get you for something before they can ask you for your citizenship status.
You mean like a traffic stop? If I blow a stop sign they should ask for my drivers license, insurance, and give me a ticket. Why should i have to prove my citizenship for a traffic violation?

Old 05-04-2010, 10:52 PM

111 posts, read 112,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbiggleswurth View Post
You mean like a traffic stop? If I blow a stop sign they should ask for my drivers license, insurance, and give me a ticket. Why should i have to prove my citizenship for a traffic violation?
Well the law only applies for Arizona. In Arizona, you have to provide a birth certificate in order to obtain a drivers license. Meaning you have to be a citizen to obtain one. However, the sketchy area is, in some states, you can apply and receive a drivers license if your an illegal immigrant.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:25 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
You can pull over 12 million illegal immigrants and card them for all I care, probable cause or not. No complaints here. I do have a problem if you pull over citizens and require them to prove their citizenship. Me, my family, and my friends are all american citizens and we should not have to prove our citizenship. Why should i be searched and interrogated because illegals are breaking the law. Take it up with the illegals not with me.
What part of this law don't you get? A person's status in this country will not be questioned unless they can't produce a valid I.D. during the course of the investigation of an infraction of our laws?

Old 05-05-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
You won't have to!!! Good Lord, how many times do we have to state that if you have a valid I.D. no questioning about your status in this country will be asked.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juced View Post
No, the initial intent of the new law was the same as the re-wording of it. It was just clarified for those intent on challenging it in its initial form.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:33 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,024,030 times
1. It will have to be applied based on behavior, not based on color of skin or language.
2. See 1.

Because of that, it will be applied to American citizens who behave in ways that might raise suspicion about citizenship. If not, it will be ruled unconstitutional. It will have to be behavior that suggests lack of citizenship that will raise the suspicion of law enforcement.

And as the posts on this page reflect, that ambiguity is the huuuuge problem with this law.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:35 AM

4,507 posts, read 7,825,943 times
Quote:
Why do you post when you clearly haven't read the law? It makes you look foolish.

You need to show a drivers license if you are pulled over, that's it...just as you always have had to show a drivers license when pulled over for a traffic violation. If you have a license that IS your proof of legal residency or citizenship (because you need to be a legal resident or citizen to get a license).

Really people, this isn't rocket science. Read the law.

Last edited by NCyank; 05-05-2010 at 08:43 AM..

Old 05-05-2010, 08:35 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Opponents of the law are fanning this flame. You will NOT be required to prove citizenship; no one will, not even illegals. The issue is legal status, not citizenship. If you are stopped for a traffic violation, nothing will change. You will still be required to produce your driver’s license, registration, and in some instances proof of insurance. That’s it! If you are unable to provide the officer with the required ID, then, and only then, will further action be taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or