U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should we increase, decrease, or keep the number of legal immigrants entering the USA?
Increase the number of legal immigrants entering the US 4 11.43%
Decrease the number 23 65.71%
Keep it the same 8 22.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-06-2010, 09:23 PM
 
140 posts, read 391,744 times
Reputation: 244

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Note the USA has the third largest population in the world------and, global population growing is slowing down rapidly.



Why should we accept just Latin Americans? If anything; I would rather have English speaking Black Africans, Filipinos, etc. if we need more legal immigrants.
It is true that all over the world population growth is slowing down and that is because most of the world has been forced into modernity whether they like it or not with the breakup of traditional family and community units and structures.

The reason more Latin Americans, especially Mexicans, are allowed here is because it's just a hop, skip and a jump over the border. Legal immigration takes a lot longer. I work with a lot of Filipinoes and it took them years to come here legally so if you are close by it's easier to just jump the border. The system of legal immigration is rather racist also. Yes it is about level of education and wealth but race does play a part in the equation also. Black Africans must come to the table very well prepared if they want to come to the US. Most black Africans are either certified public accountants or must be enrolled in medical school, etc.

So rather than deal with a system that is stacked against them, many choose to come here illegally and make do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-06-2010, 09:41 PM
 
140 posts, read 391,744 times
Reputation: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Again, you are spouting nonsense and didn't address any of my points about population growth vs the carrying capacity of this nation or why we should favor Latinos in our immigration policies. If we use more resources than many countries then that is all the more reason to curb our population growth.

As for the greedy employers who hire illegal aliens yes they do need to be stopped. E-verify will go a long ways in stopping them and their illegal labor force. Too bad most pro-illegals are only interested in stopping the former but not the latter.
There is NOTHING but space in the United States. The Baby Boom generation is larger than the under 40s so where is the growth seeing as how most American women tend to have no children or have them after age 30.

As for "favoring" Latinos well they are right next door. If they had to send for cheap labor overseas it would cost big business money and time so it's best to ask your neighbor next door (the Mexican government) for a few of her peasants which they are only too willing to unload.

And I will repeat, without demand there is NO supply. It's as simple as that but Americans will not except that simple explanation. And I wouldn't count on E-verify as a tool in the fight against illegal immigration. I have worked in government for too long (in California). Government offices are always understaffed and must operate on shoestring budgets so it will not be a speedy or reliable tool in the long run.

Big business is not going to give up without a fight. Greed controls America. Always has and always will. I anticipate a severe backlash against the State of Arizona as they try to enforce laws against illegal immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2010, 09:50 PM
 
140 posts, read 391,744 times
Reputation: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemy View Post
Indeed, we are crowded NOW. Don't you read about water shortages in our west? Every month more arable land is being chewed up for housing, nationwide.

Japan does so bring in guest workers in a lawful rigidly controlled system and their aging population IS being cared for by their OWN younger folk.

You cannot honestly believe that our aged people will have their rights and entitlements respected or be cared for by newcomers who have no familial or emotional ties (or even gratitude!) to the very people who contributed to our Nation's greatness and wealth. No way!

Just as soon as the newcomers have voting rights you'll get to see massive changes in our laws and the continued erosion of our Constitution; changes which will eliminate any and all obligations to our elders.
.
In America you have to be leery about the word 'shortages". Usually that word is just an excuse for raising prices on any and everything. As for housing, nobody told these greedy developers to run out here and over build when housing prices shot up and then the "bubble" hit leaving a lot of unfinished buildings rotting around the nation especially in the state of California where prices on commerical and residential real estate was at an all time high.

Because America lacks the social resources of Japan, many elders are forced into institutions anyway to rot away in for-profit nursing homes who don't give a hoot and a holler about seniors. They charge thousands of dollars a month for care and then turn around and hire staff at minimum wage and expect these low wage and unskilled workers to actually give a damn about the elderly in their care.

I don't have to worry about my care since I will be relocating to Brazil where elders are more respected and where the community provides care for the elderly. There are no socialist services to assist the elderly in America. Whenever I visited my recently deceased grandmother in her nursing facility it was the immigrant workers (from Latin America or the Caribbean) who treated her with dignity and respect and cared for her needs. The American born workers were the worse of the lot as they considered the job lowpaying and chitty and treated the residents like crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2010, 10:00 PM
 
140 posts, read 391,744 times
Reputation: 244
[quote=wehotex;14070392]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDominadora View Post
Americans use 25% of the world's resources or should I say over-use. Even Western European shoots more for efficiency than they do size. Nowhere on planet earth do you find 2 or 3 people living in McMansions. America's problem is good-oldfashioned short-sighted greed.

If anything America's population is dropping along with that of most of the so-called high tech First World Nations. I am a Baby Boomer. I and many other Boomers did not have children. The same demographic goes for Western Europe. No children. Far less than in previous generations. So what we have in these highly developed nations are very few young persons compared to a larger graying population. It's downright scary if you ask me.

Now in Latin America you have a higher birthrate (though not astronomical one). In actuality Latin Americans don't have large families it's just that they have larger families compared to North Americans. Latin America has one of the highest female sterilization rates in the world as domestic servants (most of the nonwhite female population) are required to have certificates of sterilization before being employed or many freely choose to undergo sterilization since birth control is unavailable and hell they are very poor. Who wants 15 kids when you only make $5.00 US dollars per day. In Latin American countries the population under 25 is very high but after age 40 the population drops sharply. It's hard to live to 95 when you have no access to medical care and you have lived a generally harsh life.

America will have to come up with a viable solution because people are under age 40 are lacking in a lot of areas. If America has to depend upon the vast majority of folks under 40 then we are definitely up sh-ts creek. America will have to come up with a solution and quick. Most of my coworkers are immigrants (legal). If not for them, we would not be able to find suitable employees since most of the folks under 40 are either too drugged out or else they don't want a job unless it pays them 7 figures a year. Without our legal immigrant staff government jobs in California would not be able to find suitable applicants.

That is a VERY harsh assessment of the under 40 American age group. Americans will do those types of jobs if they are given a fair wage, certainly not 7 figures. Gov't and business just like to do everything cheaply.
If we do need younger workers in the future, we need to require sterilization in the way that the Latin American and muslim countries do so that they don't start dropping fetuses left and right to cement their citizenship/benefit status.
Well government and big business is NOT going to pay a fair wage if they don't have to. I can only speak for California but the work ethic out here is the pits. Californians want HIGH wage jobs. I mean VERY high wage jobs and many shun the government sector which is lowpaying so we have to rely on first generation immigrants (legal) to meet our staffing needs. The Americans we do have tend to have serious substance abuse and mental problems and are simply collecting a check. The immigrants, a lot of them who were professionals in their own countries, are hardworking, sober and have excellent mental health.

First generation immigrant women tend to have higher fertility rates largely because they have more stable family lives. I agree that anchor babies should not be given American status which would reduce the incentive.

However, I believe that America's long history of unbridled greed and capitalism will be her undoing. American business will do anything in the name of profit. Illegals and their anchors will be welcome here as long as they make money for somebody out there. If nobody was profitting off of their labor they would have sealed the border long ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2010, 10:44 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Reputation: 6517
No need to change the number. We just need to raise the minimum standards.
We produce enough unskilled under educated citizens, we have no need to import more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2010, 08:39 AM
 
Location: San Antonio Texas
11,435 posts, read 15,943,293 times
Reputation: 5224
[quote=LaDominadora;14071089]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post

Well government and big business is NOT going to pay a fair wage if they don't have to. I can only speak for California but the work ethic out here is the pits. Californians want HIGH wage jobs. I mean VERY high wage jobs and many shun the government sector which is lowpaying so we have to rely on first generation immigrants (legal) to meet our staffing needs. The Americans we do have tend to have serious substance abuse and mental problems and are simply collecting a check. The immigrants, a lot of them who were professionals in their own countries, are hardworking, sober and have excellent mental health.

First generation immigrant women tend to have higher fertility rates largely because they have more stable family lives. I agree that anchor babies should not be given American status which would reduce the incentive.

However, I believe that America's long history of unbridled greed and capitalism will be her undoing. American business will do anything in the name of profit. Illegals and their anchors will be welcome here as long as they make money for somebody out there. If nobody was profitting off of their labor they would have sealed the border long ago.
you make a lot of sense. I personally would like to see more American kids work in fast food places, mowing lawns, babysitting (the things that we used to do when I was younger). In so cal, many fast food places like carl's jr, pollo loco hire ONLY ESL ppl. Teenagers used to do those jobs to learn the work ethic and earn a little tax free pocket change.
I also don't understand why the anchor kids should qualify for all kinds of benefits and freebies. Why don't they make it a law that only those 18 and over can qualify for those things? otherwise, it becomes a case of the adult family mbs sponging off of their kids' benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2010, 08:42 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDominadora View Post
It is true that all over the world population growth is slowing down and that is because most of the world has been forced into modernity whether they like it or not with the breakup of traditional family and community units and structures.

The reason more Latin Americans, especially Mexicans, are allowed here is because it's just a hop, skip and a jump over the border. Legal immigration takes a lot longer. I work with a lot of Filipinoes and it took them years to come here legally so if you are close by it's easier to just jump the border. The system of legal immigration is rather racist also. Yes it is about level of education and wealth but race does play a part in the equation also. Black Africans must come to the table very well prepared if they want to come to the US. Most black Africans are either certified public accountants or must be enrolled in medical school, etc.

So rather than deal with a system that is stacked against them, many choose to come here illegally and make do.
We have no shortage of humans worldwide nor in this country either. Asians have the highest quotas for legal immigration into this country followed by Latinos by only a few percentage points. So no, the system is not stacked against them. The problem is that there are more immigrants from Mexico and other countries that want to come here than we can accomodate. So what are we supposed to do, commit national suicide by allowing a population explosion into our country from south of our border whether we need them or not? Get real, please. This country belongs to Americans, not Mexicans or any other foreign nationals.

Favoring immigrants with skills and education is not being racist. Look up the word racist in the dictionary. You apparently don't know what the word means. If those we don't need choose to jump our borders anyway then they had better be prepared to pay the consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2010, 09:05 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDominadora View Post
There is NOTHING but space in the United States. The Baby Boom generation is larger than the under 40s so where is the growth seeing as how most American women tend to have no children or have them after age 30.

As for "favoring" Latinos well they are right next door. If they had to send for cheap labor overseas it would cost big business money and time so it's best to ask your neighbor next door (the Mexican government) for a few of her peasants which they are only too willing to unload.

And I will repeat, without demand there is NO supply. It's as simple as that but Americans will not except that simple explanation. And I wouldn't count on E-verify as a tool in the fight against illegal immigration. I have worked in government for too long (in California). Government offices are always understaffed and must operate on shoestring budgets so it will not be a speedy or reliable tool in the long run.

Big business is not going to give up without a fight. Greed controls America. Always has and always will. I anticipate a severe backlash against the State of Arizona as they try to enforce laws against illegal immigration.
Apparently you don't know the difference between land space and ariable land space. I don't know where you are getting your bogus facts from. It isn't true that most American women are choosing not to have children. American women are averaging a little over 2 children.

There are very few jobs that Americans won't do and for those we can use legal immigrants. The only reason that the employers are hiring illegal immigrants is because they work cheaper. It has nothing to do with a shortage of workers. The problem is that pro-illegals like yourself are the ones refusing to accept that truth. Latinos should not be favored just because they are right next door. Our country is supposed to be based on diversity. How is that diversity?

You are wrong. E-verify is all done on a database set up by the government. All an employer has to do is process the applicant's information. It works great where it is being used and has over a 95% accuracy rate.

You're right, greedy employers will not give up without a fight and from the sounds of your post you are a willing accomplice in their quest for greed. So you think that Arizona has no right to rid themselves of illegal alien lawbreakers or any other states for that matter? Why? You are for the rule of law in this country, aren't you? There will be no major backlash against Arizona because those who support illegal immigration are among the minority in this country. Real and honest Americans will prevail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2010, 09:31 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
[quote=LaDominadora;14071089]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post

Well government and big business is NOT going to pay a fair wage if they don't have to. I can only speak for California but the work ethic out here is the pits. Californians want HIGH wage jobs. I mean VERY high wage jobs and many shun the government sector which is lowpaying so we have to rely on first generation immigrants (legal) to meet our staffing needs. The Americans we do have tend to have serious substance abuse and mental problems and are simply collecting a check. The immigrants, a lot of them who were professionals in their own countries, are hardworking, sober and have excellent mental health.

First generation immigrant women tend to have higher fertility rates largely because they have more stable family lives. I agree that anchor babies should not be given American status which would reduce the incentive.

However, I believe that America's long history of unbridled greed and capitalism will be her undoing. American business will do anything in the name of profit. Illegals and their anchors will be welcome here as long as they make money for somebody out there. If nobody was profitting off of their labor they would have sealed the border long ago.
You are just spouting nonsense again. Our country was built on blue collar American labor. We still have a large blue collar American workforce. Many Americans like working manual labor and are not cut out for a white collar desk job. The problem is that since illegal aliens made themselves available to the greedy employers they are choosing them over our own blue collar workforce because they work cheaper. Why can't you grasp that simple fact? Our American youth can't even get a job at a fast food joint nowadays for the same reason.

Every society has its derilects, losers, lazy people and substance abusers but to insinuate that many or even most Americans are like that is a flat out lie. Yes, there are many hard working immigrants but the subject isn't "immigrants" as they have a right to work and be in this country. This forum is about illegal aliens. Get with the program, ok? Even if some illegal aliens are hard workers it doesn't matter. They have no right to take American jobs or to even be in this country.

Yes, there are some greedy employers in this country. Why not join the fight to stop them rather than make excuses for illegal aliens being in this country? Do you want to be a part of the problem or the solution? Sticking up for illegal aliens makes you a part of the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2010, 09:58 AM
 
Location: San Antonio Texas
11,435 posts, read 15,943,293 times
Reputation: 5224
[quote=chicagonut;14075769]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDominadora View Post

You are just spouting nonsense again. Our country was built on blue collar American labor. We still have a large blue collar American workforce. Many Americans like working manual labor and are not cut out for a white collar desk job. The problem is that since illegal aliens made themselves available to the greedy employers they are choosing them over our own blue collar workforce because they work cheaper. Why can't you grasp that simple fact? Our American youth can't even get a job at a fast food joint nowadays for the same reason.

Every society has its derilects, losers, lazy people and substance abusers but to insinuate that many or even most Americans are like that is a flat out lie. Yes, there are many hard working immigrants but the subject isn't "immigrants" as they have a right to work and be in this country. This forum is about illegal aliens. Get with the program, ok? Even if some illegal aliens are hard workers it doesn't matter. They have no right to take American jobs or to even be in this country.

Yes, there are some greedy employers in this country. Why not join the fight to stop them rather than make excuses for illegal aliens being in this country? Do you want to be a part of the problem or the solution? Sticking up for illegal aliens makes you a part of the problem.
Just for the record, that was not my posting. I was responding to dominadora's post, but then deleted it, or so i thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top