U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 02:15 PM

2,014 posts, read 4,720,267 times

Advertisements

Humor here
Quote:
Here in Arizona (especially in the rural counties) many people would LOVE to have a $10 an hour job in this brutal recession. Read that we have no need for illegal aliens to do anything except LEAVE the USA.
Fact here;

Quote:
Thompson's experiences are chronicled in Working in the Shadows: A Year of Doing the Jobs (Most) Americans Won’t Do, to be released in February 2010 by Nation Books.

Thompson is no stranger to labor and the lives of immigrant workers. (In 2006 he published There’s No Jose Here: Following the Hidden Lives of Mexican Immigrants, also by Nation Books, and he has covered a variety of untold stories on his blog, Where the Silence Is.) But his year on the job was still eye-opening and back-breaking.

Within days of his first job in a Yuma lettuce field, Thompson could barely move his 30-year-old body and he found out he had a “sweating problem,” in the words of his co-workers who were always friendly and supportive—if constantly baffled by his presence. Undercover, Thompson made up excuses for why a white man would take these jobs. The fact that he constantly had to answer the question “Why are you here?” shows just how institutionalized the segregation of our immigrant workforce is.

Union leaders and policy makers often say or imply that if the jobs now filled by immigrants paid more, Americans would flock back to them, unemployment would be eased and immigrants would not be needed to fill out the workforce.

Thompson’s experience shows that it is not so simple. While in past days “Americans” did grueling manual labor jobs on farms and in factories, expectations and life experiences have changed enough that even most unemployed and destitute “Americans” are not necessarily willing or able to take the kinds of jobs immigrants are doing, even if the pay is decent.

Thompson notes a farm owner quoted in the Arizona Republic saying that even if lettuce-picking jobs paid $40 an hour, Americans would “do it about three hours and say ‘That’s not for me.’”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 02:41 PM

32,798 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Humor here

Fact here;

More humor.

I grew up on a farm and we did our own back breaking work in the heat. I spent every summer throwing 100 lb alfalfa bales and I didn't get paid at all as it was our farm. No one else around us used Illegals for labor either.

Now if these ruthless people are paying 3 bucks an hour I'm sure we know who will be doing the jobs........... at 3 an hour. Those Employers should be sitting in prison.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:00 PM

2,014 posts, read 4,720,267 times
Quote:
I grew up on a farm and we did our own back breaking work in the heat. I spent every summer throwing 100 lb alfalfa bales and I didn't get paid at all as it was our farm. No one else around us used Illegals for labor either.
Oh crap, I don't know how many times I have heard this, head down to Yuma and spend a day harvesting lettuce, you won't make it.

Heck a few years ago John McCain offered $50,000 bucks to any white guy that would spend a season in the fields. No takers.

Now, This is the truth, you would not last a day in Yuma harvesting lettuce. If you think you would, you haven't the faintest idea what it entails.

Now, me, I bucked hay and harvested lettuce, bucking hay is easier, If you cared I would explain to you why, but you will just go off on another mis informed rant.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:33 PM

525 posts, read 917,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Simply not true. First off, ask any gardener in California how much they really make and you will find it is at least $10/hr. and often more. Same thing with Nannies. Also, think supply and demand. The fewer available workers available = the higher the wages will be. There definitely would be more jobs and less unemployment for American Citizens if the Government would enforce the Laws with regard to Illegals.
I live in Los Angeles and I have some workers who may or may not be illegals. I don't know and I don't ask. That is pretty much the law that I have learned living here for three years (do not ask). I am also a landlord and I am not allowed to ask prospective tenants/tenants if they are legal/illegal in fear of being sued for discrimination.

Anyway my point is this. I pay the women who sometimes cleans my house $25/hour, another employee who helps clean property grounds $10/hour, and my grass man (guy who cuts lawn) $55 to mow my grass which takes no longer than an hour.
Now I do not know if these people are illegals or not but they don't really speak English and they are from south the border, so they may be legal/illegal. ???

Old 05-07-2010, 08:37 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Oh crap, I don't know how many times I have heard this, head down to Yuma and spend a day harvesting lettuce, you won't make it.

Heck a few years ago John McCain offered $50,000 bucks to any white guy that would spend a season in the fields. No takers.

Now, This is the truth, you would not last a day in Yuma harvesting lettuce. If you think you would, you haven't the faintest idea what it entails.

Now, me, I bucked hay and harvested lettuce, bucking hay is easier, If you cared I would explain to you why, but you will just go off on another mis informed rant.
I never realized that you shadowed 1AngryTaxPayer every day of his life for you to make those statements.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:49 PM

180 posts, read 172,024 times
Quote:
Unless your employment field is within the construction-manual labor to the under $10/hr sector your employment prospects are not in danger.
First of all, I used to be in construction, but had to get out because all the jobs went to illegals and people willing to take less than I made 15 years ago. Aside from construction, the top fields that are filled by legal and illegal immigrants (according to the dept. of labor) are: 1) food service/restaurant; 2) health industry; 3) construction; 4) hotel and cleaning services; 5) landscaping; ...9) field worker.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:54 PM

2,791 posts, read 3,554,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
So let me get this straight.....If we got rid of 10 million illegals that would NOT translate into jobs for American citizens?

What part of illegal "dont" you get!
Oh but "Americans WON'T Do those jobs!!"

Old 05-07-2010, 09:57 PM

5,615 posts, read 12,421,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Unless your employment field is within the construction-manual labor to the under $10/hr sector your employment prospects are not in danger.
And if your tax dollars don't go to any of the resources consumed by illegal immigrants then they aren't in danger either. Except they are, and we all pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or