Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2010, 02:18 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,225,157 times

Advertisements

"It sounded to the Law Blog like we were heading toward a big federalism showdown. So we turned to Karl Manheim of Loyola Law School in Los Angeles and Erwin Chemerinsky of UC Irvine Law to pregame it for us. Their response: the law is DOA.

The Arizona law appears to be “facially unconstitutional,” Manheim said. “States have no power to pass immigration laws because it’s an attribute of foreign affairs"

Law Professors on Arizona Immigration Bill: It's Unconstitutional - Law Blog - WSJ

Republican Lindsey Graham also agreed that the law was unconstitional

Lindsey Graham: I Think Arizona Immigration Law is Unconstitutional

Last edited by Holdencaulfield; 05-11-2010 at 02:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 02:30 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
You started a whole new thread on a reply you made? Seriously? It's the exact same post/web site.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:31 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
I think we should just skip responding to his never-ending stream of new threads and watch them as they trickle down into obscurity. Just like the illegal immigrants in our country are soon going to be.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:35 PM

346 posts, read 708,952 times
Kris Kobach crafted this law in hopes of getting it to pass constitutional scrutiny. Don't know who he is? Look him up and check on his lists of accomplishments, he is very well versed with illegal immigration and most of his laws against immigration have passed.

These lawyers that deem it unconstitutional are on the other side of the coin. In other words, everyone will read into the law and interpret it to their agenda.

What matters is not what liberal professors or even GOP professors think of this law. What matters is what the federal judge will say and how THEY interpret it.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:44 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,518,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreXican View Post
What matters is what the Federal Judge will say and how THEY interpret it.
Excellent Point

Old 05-11-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Kris Kobach crafted this law in hopes of getting it to pass constitutional scrutiny. Don't know who he is? Look him up and check on his lists of accomplishments, he is very well versed with illegal immigration and most of his laws against immigration have passed.
You can't win em all. I'd bet that this is one he's going to lose.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:57 PM

Well, we'll have to wait and see. Even if Arizona does lose this case, they made a very strong statement that they will not be a safe haven for illegal immigration. They already accomplished much of what they wanted to do, as I'm sure many IA's have already left Arizona in fear of the law. The liberal media actually HELPED Arizona's cause by making the law seem like some crazy nazi-Germany law, it scared many IA's straight out of Arizona. I bet if they had actually chose to report the law in an unbiased and straightforward manner, IA's would not have left Arizona so quickly, before the law even takes effect in July.

Arizona also has some tools when enforcing their immigration laws. They are already one of the toughest states in the nation, so this law would give them another tool. If it fails, they still have their other methods, and I'm sure they will still use them.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Well, we'll have to wait and see. Even if Arizona does lose this case, they made a very strong statement that they will not be a safe haven for illegal immigration. They already accomplished much of what they wanted to do, as I'm sure many IA's have already left Arizona in fear of the law. The liberal media actually HELPED Arizona's cause by making the law seem like some crazy nazi-Germany law, it scared many IA's straight out of Arizona. I bet if they had actually chose to report the law in an unbiased and straightforward manner, IA's would not have left Arizona so quickly, before the law even takes effect in July.

Arizona also has some tools when enforcing their immigration laws. They are already one of the toughest states in the nation, so this law would give them another tool. If it fails, they still have their other methods, and I'm sure they will still use them.
I'm going to explain this to you as simple as possible. I don't have a problem with Arizona enforcing immigration laws. I do have a problem if they violate the Constitution in the process. Use as many tools as you want, so long as they are legal and Constitutional. If Arizona does lose the law, the federal courts will have made a strong statement that the Constitution is not a piece of rag.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
I'm going to explain this to you as simple as possible. I don't have a problem with Arizona enforcing immigration laws. I do have a problem if they violate the Constitution in the process. Use as many tools as you want, so long as they are legal and Constitutional. If Arizona does lose the law, the federal courts will have made a strong statement that the Constitution is not a piece of rag.
I never mentioned your stance on the law in the post? You are entitled to your own viewpoints, whatever they may be. I was merely stating that Arizona will continue to be a stronghold for anti-illegal alien laws and enforcement.

If the federal courts do strike it down, then yes they have made a point that similar laws will be struck down as well, but that doesn't mean that Arizona will slow down their enforcement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration