U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 05:56 PM

5,010 posts, read 12,843,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
not in NY only in new mexico and washington.

Check again.

Anyone can get a DL or state-issued ID.

The only true documents that prove citizenship are either a birth certificate or a passport.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:57 PM

752 posts, read 1,244,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I have asked a cop for directions and he never asked to see my I.D. for that. That will not change in Arizona. There are some in here that are just grasping at straws because they don't like the law for whatever agenda they are pushing. The arguments against it get more bizarre by the minute.
aint that the truth...

Old 05-07-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Check again.

Anyone can get a DL or state-issued ID.

The only true documents that prove citizenship are either a birth certificate or a passport.
I got that information from NYS dmv where did you get yours. you have to be a citizen of the united states and a resident of nys to get a nys drivers license if you have proof otherwise show it. you may be right on the state ID though. but you still have to be a resident of nys.
here watch the video they are trying but not succeeding.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Incorrect there: otherwise; how would a green card holder be able to get a DL?
a green card is like being a temporary citizen. you get a temporary drivers license for the term of your "visit" it's not a NYS drivers license and it says clearly on the license what it is, and it must be presented with your green card.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I got that information from NYS dmv where did you get yours. you have to be a citizen of the united states and a resident of nys to get a nys drivers license if you have proof otherwise show it. you may be right on the state ID though. but you still have to be a resident of nys.

I just looked at the NYS DMV. For an enhanced driver's license (whatever that is) you must provide proof of US citizenship.

For a regular driver's license, citizenship is not required.

You fail. Would you like to try again?

Old 05-07-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
not in NY only in new mexico and washington.

Add Texas to your list.

Also, for giggles, I picked a random state.

Who cannot be issued an Idaho driver's license?
An Idaho driver's license cannot be issued to anyone who:
  • Is not a resident of the state of Idaho
  • Is not lawfully present in the United States
  • Is under the age of 15
  • Is under the age of 17 and has not completed the requirements of Idaho's graduated driver's license program
  • Is under the age of 18 and is not enrolled in school or has not completed school as required in Section 49-303A, Idaho Code
  • Has a suspended, revoked, or canceled status in Idaho or any other jurisdiction
  • Has been adjudged as an habitual drunkard or addicted to the use of narcotics
  • Has been adjudged as suffering from mental incompetence that would affect a person's ability to safely operate a motor vehicle and who at the time of application has not been restored to competency
  • May be afflicted with any physical or mental condition which brings about momentary or prolonged lapses of consciousness or control
  • Is required to take an examination and has not passed the examination

To be issued a Colorado Driver’s License or Identification Card, you must prove the following
elements: your full legal name, identity, age, and lawful presence in the United States.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Add Texas to your list.
I stand corrected. but none the less, MY ID is proof of my citizenship.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I just looked at the NYS DMV. For an enhanced driver's license (whatever that is) you must provide proof of US citizenship.

For a regular driver's license, citizenship is not required.

You fail. Would you like to try again?
you cant get a nys drivers license without a social security number...call them. I never fail.
I live here I have been to the meetings and asked the questions.
watch the news reel I provided.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
you cant get a nys drivers license without a social security number...call them. I never fail.
I live here I have been to the meetings and asked the questions.
watch the news reel I provided.

Never say never.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/id44.pdf (broken link)

Quote:
 Before NYS DMV will issue any photo document (learner permit, driver license, non-driver ID Card) for the first time, or if your
document expired more than 2 years ago, you must show the following proofs to NYS DMV:
 Proof of your date of birth
 4 points of proof of name along with your Social Security Card, or, if you are ineligible for a Social Security Card, 6 points of
proof of name plus a letter of ineligibility from the Social Security Administration (SSA) issued within 30 days of your application to
DMV, which confirms your ineligibility, along with the INS/DHS documentation that the SSA used to determine that you are ineligible.

All proofs of name must show the same name.
 If you already have and can show a valid NYS DMV photo document, that is all you need as 6 points of proof of name to get a new or
different photo document. However, if DMV has no record of your Social Security Number, you will have to show your Social Security Card.
 To obtain an Enhanced Driver License (EDL) additional proofs are required to show US citizenship and NYS residency. See form
ID-44EDL for a list of acceptable documents for these proofs.
In addition:
 At least one proof must have your signature on it.
 You must provide original documents, or documents certified by the agency that issued them. The only exception is: If DMV allows
you to send the application by mail, send photocopies only .
 DMV will not accept more than one document of the same type proof. For example, 3 major credit cards count as only one credit card.
DMV will accept only 1 INS/DHS document. The same INS/DHS document must be used for both proof of name and proof of date of birth.
 DMV will not accept documents with any alterations or erasures. We will confiscate all fraudulent documents and send them to DMV's
Investigations Unit. This could result in criminal prosecution.

You do not have to be a citizen to get a driver's license in the state of New York.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Never say never.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/id44.pdf (broken link)

You do not have to be a citizen to get a driver's license in the state of New York.
you have to show proof of citizenship (even if it is temporary) (green card) whatever... an Illegal Immigrant can not get a nys drivers license. having one proves that I am legal.
I will bend and say that it may not prove that I am a us citizen ok?
but it does prove that I'm not an Illegal Immigrant.
hows that?
better?
they need a social security number or an INS document claiming temporary citizenship
so in essence.
it proves I'm a citizen
temorary or permanent.
a citizen none the less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration