U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 06:18 PM

5,010 posts, read 12,857,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
you have to show proof of citizenship (even if it is temporary) (green card) whatever... an Illegal Immigrant can not get a nys drivers license. having one proves that I am legal.
I will bend and say that it may not prove that I am a us citizen ok?
but it does prove that I'm not an Illegal Immigrant.
hows that?
better?
they need a social security number or an INS document claiming temporary citizenship
so in essence.
it proves I'm a citizen
temorary or permanent.
a citizen none the less.

It doesn't prove citizenship.

All it proves is that you were legally in the country at the time it was issued.

Again, the only true "proof of citizenship" documents are a passport or birth certificate.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:19 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,291,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I've never claimed to understand it. Preferably, I am sending this out to Holdencaulfield, but if he cannot answer, then perhaps anyone else can chime in.

Thanks!
If you really want to understand the amendment here is the info you need. It will take about one hour to read. No way can anyone explain it on a forum post. After one hour you'll be the expert.
FindLaw: U.S. Constitution: Fourth Amendment

Old 05-07-2010, 06:25 PM

5,362 posts, read 7,092,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
If you really want to understand the amendment here is the info you need. It will take about one hour to read. No way can anyone explain it on a forum post. After one hour you'll be the expert.
FindLaw: U.S. Constitution: Fourth Amendment
Thanks!

Old 05-07-2010, 06:27 PM

752 posts, read 1,246,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
It doesn't prove citizenship.

All it proves is that you were legally in the country at the time it was issued.

Again, the only true "proof of citizenship" documents are a passport or birth certificate.
I see you point.
I am man enough to admit when I'm wrong.
perhaps it does not conclusively prove I am a citizen
but it proves I'm legal and that's the point.
not having one is cause for more questioning
in our pursuit for absolutely correct facts we have lost sight of the point.
the point is If I have a nys drivers license it means you don't have to question wether I am here legally or not.
incidentally the expiration date on your license would be the same as the expiration date on your INS document
so it doesn't just prove that you were legal at the time of issue
it is proof that you are legal between the date of issue and the date of the expiration.
as long as it is valid you are legal.
you will probably find something wrong with that also though so
I'm waiting...

Old 05-07-2010, 06:29 PM

It doesn't prove you're here legally.

All it proves is that you were legal at the time it was issued. Green card may have expired or been revoked, etc...

That's why a DL does not suffice as proof of citizenship or of legal status.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:29 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,195,062 times
Quote:
Check again.

Anyone can get a DL or state-issued ID.

The only true documents that prove citizenship are either a birth certificate or a passport.
Nope, most states do not issue driver's licenses to illegal aliens. Most states require proof of citizenship or legal residency to get a DL.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:33 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,195,062 times
Quote:

All it proves is that you were legal at the time it was issued. Green card may have expired or been revoked, etc...

Yes, a DL does prove you are a citizen or legal resident. As for green card holders whose visa may have expired after getting a DL I am not sure how that works. It would be interesting to find that out.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:

when you have an INS document your license states your status. Mine doesn't so it is proof that I am here legally.
keep digging though
I know you want to.
if your right I will admit it,
we already established that.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Yes, a DL does prove you are a citizen or legal resident. As for green card holders whose visa may have expired after getting a DL I am not sure how that works. It would be interesting to find that out.
when you get a license with an INS document it states your status on your license and your INS document must be presented with your license when asked for it.
if either one is expired I doubt it would go well for you.
so Yes
a license if proof that you are legal.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post

You just contradicted yourself. You state absolutely that a DL proves citizenship, then wonder what happens when someone's papers go out of date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration