U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2010, 11:46 AM

3,951 posts, read 3,581,657 times

Advertisements

I don't really see the need for this thread. Common sense should tell you if a police officer stopes you for violating a law or rule then he/she could ask for your identification. This is nothing new. When you are pulled over for something or are caught up in an incident that brings police officers out, then you are asked for your identification. Also, when you go out to drink or go to the store to buy cigarettes or alcohol, you are asked for your identification just to be sure you aren't breaking a law.

So, what's the point of this thread? Do you know how many people get offended when they are asked for their ID to buy beer in the store or at the bar? A lot of people. Is that the end of the world for them or something that they want to rally and march for? No. Pro-illegal immigration people are always coming up with reasons why they shouldn't be shut down.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:52 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,686,811 times
Jaywalking is illegal.

No identification is reasonable suspicion.

There you have it.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:09 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,581,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Any not motor vehicle Title 39 violation can be addressed through a issuance of a summons on the standard form.

However the major difference is this..

As a pedestrian, you are not required to possess any information on your person. No state law, nor Federal requires a pedestrian to possess personal identification. So while the summons would be issued, the information would have to be obtained verbally if that's all the violator has at the time. Refusal to provide the information would lead to a custodial arrest where identification would be required before release on a summons (or bail at the judge/court administrators discretion). In todays technologically advanced world, positive ID can possibly be established through a AFIS scan.

The new law in AZ will be challenged and most likely be found unconstitutional. Enforcement is difficult to impossible at best. while it shows the frustration of those state residents with a huge problem, this wasn't the cure.

Might want to brush up on the law. How would YOU prove you were a citizen if stopped. You carry your birth certificate all the time? Doubt it.
Where did you get the idea that someone has to prove that they were a "CITIZEN?" The Arizona law is not about citizenship, that is something that is totally different. It would be an even worse uproar if Arizona was asking people to prove that they are citizens. Citizenship has nothing to do with it. There are a TON of legal residents here and workers who are NOT citizens. That's the benefit of The United States of America, you have an opportunity to work and live here without having to be a citizen. Those of us who are against illegal immigration aren't against those who are NOT citizens. You tell someone else that they "might want to brush up on the law," but it is you who needs to brush up on the law. If the Arizona law instructed law enforcement to approach people about their "citizenship" status then that would be very odd.

CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG, BUT WHERE DOES THE NEW ARIZONA LAW THAT WILL BE IN EFFECT LATER, SAY ANYTHING ABOUT CITIZENSHIP? Seriously, please, tell me, because from what I read and understand, it is about proving that you are in this country legally.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:48 PM

32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
I have my address, phone number, DL number and social number all memorized. I can give this info to a Cop and it will all shake out. If you can't produce any of the above and have it come back to you then you got some splainin to do.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:50 PM

32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbiggleswurth View Post
I heard they do in Arizona. I'm an American citizen, born and raised, This sounds like a dicatorship

Do you even know what it is you just posted? LOL

A dictatorship is defined as an autocratic form of government in which the government is ruled by an individual, the dictator.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:14 PM

317 posts, read 343,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Where did you get the idea that someone has to prove that they were a "CITIZEN?" The Arizona law is not about citizenship, that is something that is totally different. It would be an even worse uproar if Arizona was asking people to prove that they are citizens. Citizenship has nothing to do with it. There are a TON of legal residents here and workers who are NOT citizens. That's the benefit of The United States of America, you have an opportunity to work and live here without having to be a citizen. Those of us who are against illegal immigration aren't against those who are NOT citizens. You tell someone else that they "might want to brush up on the law," but it is you who needs to brush up on the law. If the Arizona law instructed law enforcement to approach people about their "citizenship" status then that would be very odd.

CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG, BUT WHERE DOES THE NEW ARIZONA LAW THAT WILL BE IN EFFECT LATER, SAY ANYTHING ABOUT CITIZENSHIP? Seriously, please, tell me, because from what I read and understand, it is about proving that you are in this country legally.
I have not owned a car in 10 years, nor do I drive. Do I still need a drivers license? Do I still need to carry around some form of ID in order to walk down the street? If the law does not ask for citizenship, what kind of proof does it ask for? What is the purpose of the law? To prove someone has a drivers license? Even though they don't drive?

Old 05-08-2010, 03:14 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,168,477 times
Quote:
I heard they do in Arizona. I'm an American citizen, born and raised, This sounds like a dicatorship
yes they do and if you don't like it don't break the law in Arizona. is that to hard for you? the fact that you needed to come to a public forum to ask this question say's alot about you

Old 05-08-2010, 03:19 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
I have not owned a car in 10 years, nor do I drive. Do I still need a drivers license? Do I still need to carry around some form of ID in order to walk down the street? If the law does not ask for citizenship, what kind of proof does it ask for? What is the purpose of the law? To prove someone has a drivers license? Even though they don't drive?
People who don't drive will normally get a state I.D. because you are asked to provide that as proof of who you are in many instances in lieu of a DL. You don't need to carry I.D. with you when you are out walking but it is advisable in case you become sick, injured or killed. How will LE be able to identify you and notify your loved ones without any I.D. on you? It is just common sense to carry some form of I.D. with you at all times.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:19 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,168,477 times
Quote:
you dont need a car to break the law say jaywalking yes you will need id cant wait to see your next thread they keep getting funnier

Old 05-08-2010, 03:22 PM

29,580 posts, read 31,900,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
People who don't drive will normally get a state I.D. because you are asked to provide that as proof of who you are in many instances in lieu of a DL. You don't need to carry I.D. with you when you are out walking but it is advisable in case you become sick, injured or killed. How will LE be able to identify you and notify your loved ones without any I.D. on you? It is just common sense to carry some form of I.D. with you at all times.
Exactly right. It's like some people weren't raised with common sense isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or