U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 03:25 PM

171 posts, read 183,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Do you know how many people get offended when they are asked for their ID to buy beer in the store or at the bar? A lot of people.

Not me. It's a plus for me, it tells me I'm still looking young !!!

Old 05-08-2010, 03:31 PM

171 posts, read 183,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbiggleswurth View Post
I have not owned a car in 10 years, nor do I drive. Do I still need a drivers license? Do I still need to carry around some form of ID in order to walk down the street? If the law does not ask for citizenship, what kind of proof does it ask for? What is the purpose of the law? To prove someone has a drivers license? Even though they don't drive?
When you go to the Department of Motor Vehicle you can get 2 types of ID. A drivers license or a regular ID. You can get a regular ID if you don't drive?

I don't get the law in AZ though, because asking someone for their ID first when someone breaks the law was something I thought was always done. Was that not happening before??

Old 05-08-2010, 08:10 PM

317 posts, read 343,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
yes they do and if you don't like it don't break the law in Arizona. is that to hard for you? the fact that you needed to come to a public forum to ask this question say's alot about you
So jaywalking in Arizona will get me thrown in jail and sent to immigration, even though I'm a citizen Sounds pretty harsh, but I guess that's what a dictatorship is like.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:11 PM

5,903 posts, read 6,352,776 times
Quote:
I heard they do in Arizona. I'm an American citizen, born and raised, This sounds like a dicatorship
Are you serious with this statement? Name me one state or even one city in America that an officer does not ask you for your ID when you commit an infraction? If you don't have your ID on you they will run your information in the database. No officer is going to let you go unless he is sure he has detained and or ticketed the right person.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Are you serious with this statement? Name me one state or even one city in America that an officer does not ask you for your ID when you commit an infraction? If you don't have your ID on you they will run your information in the database. No officer is going to let you go unless he is sure he has detained the right person.
The police have a database of every American in the US??? News to me. If they can run your information in the database, why does this law stipulate that you must produce id??? Why does the law state that if you fail to produce id they will assume you are here illegally and will arrest you?

Old 05-08-2010, 09:18 PM

20,979 posts, read 15,614,915 times
Quote:
I heard they do in Arizona. I'm an American citizen, born and raised, This sounds like a dicatorship
Do not jaywalk. At least don't get caught. It's un-American.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:26 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,115,240 times
Here in L.A. they give tickets for jaywalking. You give them your i.d. So yes, if you don't have an i.d. you'll have a problem.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:27 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,582,217 times
Quote:
The police have a database of every American in the US??? News to me. If they can run your information in the database, why does this law stipulate that you must produce id??? Why does the law state that if you fail to produce id they will assume you are here illegally and will arrest you?
Well, duh, this is a new law that is done to reduce illegal immigration. So, since someone who is here legally should have an ID, just like everyone else, or some way to prove that they are here legally (just like everyone else), then it makes sense for them to have to "produce ID." So, your question is bolded and I've given you an answer. Some people are forgetting the big picture, the hope is to find out who is here illegally and send them on their way. Maybe the people who are opposed to everything that is done to curtail illegal immigration can start coming up with some ideas.

I have a birth certificate, a drivers license, social security card, a passport and a couple school IDs that would at least give law enforcement a start on discovering that I am here legally, so I don't see how someone else couldn't do that. That's four things from me. A legal immigrant would have something.

Also, people are being over-dramatic about "what if someone can't produce an ID." First of all, legal residents and citizens are supposed to be responsible for keeping up with their papaerwork. Immigrants aren't the only ones that are expected to keep their driver's license or ID handy. Also, you are supposed to keep up with your social security card and if you don't have it when you need it (to apply for various things), then you are s$hit-out-of-luck, even if you were born here. So, it's not just immigrants that have to keep up with their paperwork. All of us, even native-born citizens are weary of losing or not having our identification when we need it and we take pride in actually having these things. Just like every illegal immigrant could have been worry-free and proud in knowing that they are legally here and guaranteed access to what is legally available to them because they have what it takes to prove that they are here legally.

Also, if you can't produce an ID or some way to show that you are here legally, but you really are here legally, then don't you think that there is some way that Arizona law enforcement will allow people to follow-up on their arrest or questioning by eventually bringing in proof of being legally here? Like, the law could say, "Alright, just go an retrieve the proof of legally being here that you say you have and bring it to such-and-such office BY such-and-such date." That's how legal residents have to do things.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Also, if you can't produce an ID or some way to show that you are here legally, but you really are here legally, then don't you think that there is some way that Arizona law enforcement will allow people to follow-up on their arrest or questioning by eventually bringing in proof of being legally here? Like, the law could say, "Alright, just go an retrieve the proof of legally being here that you say you have and bring it to such-and-such office BY such-and-such date." That's how legal residents have to do things.
So if I don't have ID on me the police will let me go so as long as I promise to bring it to such and such office on such and such a date?

Old 05-08-2010, 09:34 PM

5,903 posts, read 6,352,776 times
Quote:
What Where in the law does it state that if you fail to produce ID that they will automatically arrest you?

It's 2010 and every state and several federal agencies are linked by databases and state issued IDs can be run on the computers at the LE agency or even in the patrol officer vehicle. No where does the law state you must carry ID unless you are driving a vehicle which we already know is the law for anyone. All legal resident must always have his residence card in his or her possession at all time and this a federal law.

The reason people are required to carry ID with them while driving is to allow the officer to quickly identify the driver, even though they can run the information in the database, not all officers have the computers in their unit and the task of having to run the info for every stop would really over whelm and be time consuming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or