U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-08-2010, 09:35 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,702,293 times
Reputation: 1271

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbiggleswurth View Post
I have not owned a car in 10 years, nor do I drive. Do I still need a drivers license? Do I still need to carry around some form of ID in order to walk down the street? If the law does not ask for citizenship, what kind of proof does it ask for? What is the purpose of the law? To prove someone has a drivers license? Even though they don't drive?
A driver's license isn't the only form of identification. I was without a car from age 16 - 21 and anytime someone asked for a license, the other option for me was state ID which I had since like sixteen years old. Also, I have a birth certificate, social security card and a passport. So, what is it that you are complaining about again?

You really are missing the truth. How can you ask questions like this? "What kind of proof does it ask for?" What the heck, what kind of question is that? Gee, let's go over this again: the law is wanting to identify those who are here illegally, now, when someone is legally in this country, they will have something that shows that, immigration forms or even a passport from another country with the appropriate dates on it for being in the country. I have to get stamps when I go to another country and if I am staying for a long time, I have to get approval from the government saying that I can be there. Every place that I have traveled to has advised me and other new residents or tourists to keep my visa and other papers on me at ALL times just in case I am in a situation with local law enforcement. Anybody else here who has traveled abroad or lived abroad would know that this is standard. Go to different country's websites and see this information.

I swear, some of the people who oppose this really need to stop trying to just oppose it and think or something. Get some knowledge man, geez.

 
Old 05-08-2010, 09:38 PM
 
317 posts, read 352,787 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
A driver's license isn't the only form of identification. I was without a car from age 16 - 21 and anytime someone asked for a license, the other option for me was state ID which I had since like sixteen years old. Also, I have a birth certificate, social security card and a passport. So, what is it that you are complaining about again?

I swear, some of the people who oppose this really need to stop trying to just oppose it and think or something. Get some knowledge man, geez.
I keep gettting different responses from supporters of the law. Do I need to carry some form of ID, like the ones you stated, birth certificate, etc.. If I don't have the ID on me, what happens? Will the police arrest me, send me on my merry way? As stated before, I get contradictory responses.
 
Old 05-08-2010, 09:39 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,702,293 times
Reputation: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbiggleswurth View Post
So if I don't have ID on me the police will let me go so as long as I promise to bring it to such and such office on such and such a date?
Yes. Anybody else here want to chime in and remind this guy or girl that it isn't odd or uncommon to have the government or law enforcement release you and tell you that in order to not be in further trouble or to not suffer certain consequences that you have to return with whatever they ask for by a certain date? It's like when people are arrested and released, they are supposed to return to court by a certain day. Even though law enforcement and local judicial systems know that that person may not show or may even leave the state or country, they still operate that way.

Dude, it is not uncommon for that to happen and it is that way for legal residents. Haven't you ever seen law and court reality shows such as "The First 48?" Or Court TV? People are released all the time and told to come back. People who are arrested on serious crimes are let go on bail if they have enough money. So, once again, what are you complaining about? You're just making up excuses.
 
Old 05-08-2010, 09:41 PM
 
317 posts, read 352,787 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Yes. Anybody else here want to chime in and remind this guy or girl that it isn't odd or uncommon to have the government or law enforcement release you and tell you that in order to not be in further trouble or to not suffer certain consequences that you have to return with whatever they ask for by a certain date? It's like when people are arrested and released, they are supposed to return to court by a certain day. Even though law enforcement and local judicial systems know that that person may not show or may even leave the state or country, they still operate that way.

Dude, it is not uncommon for that to happen and it is that way for legal residents. Haven't you ever seen law and court reality shows such as "The First 48?" Or Court TV? People are released all the time and told to come back. People who are arrested on serious crimes are let go on bail if they have enough money. So, once again, what are you complaining about? You're just making up excuses.
What if I told you I was an illegal immigrant, would the police let me go and tell me to come back on a certain date?
 
Old 05-08-2010, 09:44 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,702,293 times
Reputation: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbiggleswurth View Post
I keep gettting different responses from supporters of the law. Do I need to carry some form of ID, like the ones you stated, birth certificate, etc.. If I don't have the ID on me, what happens? Will the police arrest me, send me on my merry way? As stated before, I get contradictory responses.
First of all, I don't think anyone here is a judge or police department captain or State Police member in this thread. But, that's just an assumption, I wouldn't be surprised if someone was, I just don't get that feeling. So, why would you be looking to us for answers to that? Shouldn't you be reading Arizona's government website or something? We've all given you our take on things and our opinion. These are common sense things that are supported by knowledge of the justice, law and legal system across the US.

Once again, you just seem like you are trying to come up with things that will keep this whole, "Well, this just isn't fair" argument going on and on. Also, why would you ask a dumb question like, "Do I need to carry some form of ID?" I was BORN and RAISED in the U.S. and since I was a little kid, we were always taught that we should have some form of ID on us. When I was a kid living in the neighborhood, the rumor was that if a police stopped you and you didn't have an ID, you were in trouble. Also, today, as an adult, I find myself running back upstairs to get my license or some sort of ID if I am going out because I fear what inconvenient things will happen if I don't have it. As for my social security card, I treasure that thing and protect it because I know the crap that goes on if I don't have it.

Why is it so hard to understand that legal residents here and native-born citizens are held to the same standards?
 
Old 05-08-2010, 09:45 PM
 
18 posts, read 7,533 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbiggleswurth View Post
I heard they do in Arizona. I'm an American citizen, born and raised, This sounds like a dicatorship
If jaywalking is against the law where you live, then you're breaking the law, and that gives the right to the police to ask for your ID, AND, if they have any reason to suspect that you're not in the country legally (which they can determine by running a warrent check on you ), they also have the right to ask you to present some other form of proof that you're in the country legally.

If you're not in the country illegally, you have no reason to fear being asked for ID....in fact, you should be proud to be able to show your ID.

The AZ law simply mirrors the federal law that's been on the books for decades....a law, by the way, that's much tougher than the AZ law.

Quit being a crybaby.
 
Old 05-08-2010, 09:46 PM
 
Location: Mastic Beach
752 posts, read 1,276,209 times
Reputation: 302
its not unreasonable to be asked for ID when being stopped for doing "anything" illegal. The problem comes in when they start going door to door and asking.
if you are dumb enough to break a law then you should have to produce ID
if you have a valid drivers license in most states it means your in the country legally anyway
if you cant produce ID then I think they should take it to the next step.
 
Old 05-08-2010, 09:48 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,702,293 times
Reputation: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbiggleswurth View Post
What if I told you I was an illegal immigrant, would the police let me go and tell me to come back on a certain date?
OK, I'm going to just say that you have to be really slow to ask this question and a lot of your other questions. First of all, if you told a law enforcement official that you were illegal and the officer was operating under the law that we are discussing then what do you think the cop is going to do? Obviously, he is going to arrest and take the procedures necessary for apprehending someone who is here illegally. It is quick and easy work for the officer. You've admitted you are illegal, so why would he tell you to come back? LOL Come back for what? What I was saying earlier had to do with someone who is questioned and doesn't have proof of being here legally, but is actually here legally and told the officer. That person has an opportunity to prove that they can be in this country. I mean, what else should happen? The person gets deported even though they are here legally? No, we all know that there is a way that Arizona law enforcement will allow people to follow-up with proof.

I'm not going to answer any more of your questions if they are anything like this because this is just dumb.
 
Old 05-08-2010, 09:49 PM
 
Location: Duluth, Minnesota, USA
7,653 posts, read 15,284,572 times
Reputation: 6664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
American citizens don't walk, they drive. Walking is un-American. Your behavior is suspicious and you should be arrested
Jajajajajaja! Unfortunately, very true. American citizens once walked everywhere, but now they are often too obese and/or lazy to walk anywhere. Hence their legs become vestigial appendages
 
Old 05-08-2010, 09:49 PM
 
317 posts, read 352,787 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
its not unreasonable to be asked for ID when being stopped for doing "anything" illegal. The problem comes in when they start going door to door and asking.
if you are dumb enough to break a law then you should have to produce ID
if you have a valid drivers license in most states it means your in the country legally anyway
if you cant produce ID then I think they should take it to the next step.
What step would that be? In the instance of jaywalking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top