U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-09-2010, 04:31 PM
 
1,448 posts, read 2,659,633 times
Reputation: 690

Advertisements

Immigration reform begins in Mexico

Quote:
As the debate over the issue of immigration reform rages, we would all be wise to examine, honestly, the reasons why more Mexicans emigrate to the United States than die in Mexico each year. While the common argument is that they come here seeking work, the true root of the problem is that the Mexican government has allowed corruption to reach such alarming levels — in both government and business — that the average Mexican cannot survive within the borders of his own country.
FORUM: Immigration reform begins in Mexico - Washington Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-09-2010, 05:56 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,731,841 times
Reputation: 22159
Except that people in Mexico survive.

Mexico has a far lower unemployment rate than the USA - less than 5%. Mexico is second only to the USA in obesity rates - so you might say people are surviving too well.

They might not have the fast cars, food stamps, compleely free health care, big screen televisions, free housing, and meals out every night back home like they have here but they can survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2010, 06:05 PM
 
Location: Florida -
8,242 posts, read 10,006,995 times
Reputation: 15107
Default You can't kill a snake by cutting off its tail

Seems like Arizona's immigration reform bill (and subsequent brouha) is all aimed at stopping illegal immigrants from entering the U.S. by crossing the Arizona (and Texas, California, Florida) borders. The simple fact is that we can't seal the borders so tight that illegals won't get across -- and simply shipping them back really doesn't accomplish anything.

What if American companies caught hiring illigal immigrants were fined in the amount of the difference between what they are paying illegal immigrants --- and the regular U.S. wage, complete with taxes and benefits(??) After all, the immigrants are generally only trying to support their families. It's the U.S. companies seeking a 'competitive edge' through illegal hiring that are the root of the problem.

I realize this is a simplistic answer to a complex problem, but anyone knows that you can't kill a snake by cutting off its tail!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2010, 06:08 PM
 
Location: Florida -
8,242 posts, read 10,006,995 times
Reputation: 15107
Default You can't kill a snake by cutting off its tail

Seems like Arizona's immigration reform bill (and subsequent brouha) is all aimed at stopping illegal immigrants from entering the U.S. by crossing the Arizona (and Texas, California, Florida) borders. The simple fact is that we can't seal the borders so tight that illegals won't get across -- and simply shipping them back really doesn't accomplish anything.

What if American companies caught hiring illigal immigrants were fined in the amount of the difference between what they are paying illegal immigrants --- and the regular U.S. wage, complete with taxes and benefits(??) After all, the immigrants are generally only trying to support their families. It's the U.S. companies seeking a 'competitive edge' through illegal hiring that are the root of the problem.

I realize this is a little simplistic solution to a complicated problem, but anyone knows that you can't kill a snake by cutting off its tail!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2010, 06:14 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,633,862 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Seems like Arizona's immigration reform bill (and subsequent brouha) is all aimed at stopping illegal immigrants from entering the U.S. by crossing the Arizona (and Texas, California, Florida) borders. The simple fact is that we can't seal the borders so tight that illegals won't get across -- and simply shipping them back really doesn't accomplish anything.

What if American companies caught hiring illigal immigrants were fined in the amount of the difference between what they are paying illegal immigrants --- and the regular U.S. wage, complete with taxes and benefits(??) After all, the immigrants are generally only trying to support their families. It's the U.S. companies seeking a 'competitive edge' through illegal hiring that are the root of the problem.

I realize this is a simplistic answer to a complex problem, but anyone knows that you can't kill a snake by cutting off its tail!
Being that starvation is not an issue in Mexico; your argument holds NO water.

Besides: Mexico is not poor; its per capita income is ca. $13,500 a year--------TEN times that of Haiti.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2010, 06:16 PM
 
515 posts, read 605,922 times
Reputation: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Seems like Arizona's immigration reform bill (and subsequent brouha) is all aimed at stopping illegal immigrants from entering the U.S. by crossing the Arizona (and Texas, California, Florida) borders. The simple fact is that we can't seal the borders so tight that illegals won't get across -- and simply shipping them back really doesn't accomplish anything.

What if American companies caught hiring illigal immigrants were fined in the amount of the difference between what they are paying illegal immigrants --- and the regular U.S. wage, complete with taxes and benefits(??) After all, the immigrants are generally only trying to support their families. It's the U.S. companies seeking a 'competitive edge' through illegal hiring that are the root of the problem.

I realize this is a little simplistic solution to a complicated problem, but anyone knows that you can't kill a snake by cutting off its tail!
Better to start somewhere than to let that "snake" gain more of a stranglehold than it already has!

So what if we start with the "tail"; we can work our way up from there.
.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2010, 06:52 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,155,041 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Seems like Arizona's immigration reform bill (and subsequent brouha) is all aimed at stopping illegal immigrants from entering the U.S. by crossing the Arizona (and Texas, California, Florida) borders. The simple fact is that we can't seal the borders so tight that illegals won't get across -- and simply shipping them back really doesn't accomplish anything.

What if American companies caught hiring illigal immigrants were fined in the amount of the difference between what they are paying illegal immigrants --- and the regular U.S. wage, complete with taxes and benefits(??) After all, the immigrants are generally only trying to support their families. It's the U.S. companies seeking a 'competitive edge' through illegal hiring that are the root of the problem.

I realize this is a little simplistic solution to a complicated problem, but anyone knows that you can't kill a snake by cutting off its tail!
Are you suggesting that we allow the illegals to remain here on those jobs? E-verify and taking away any other incentives for them to remain here or to come here will cut illegal immigration back to a trickle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2010, 08:02 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,584,432 times
Reputation: 1270
I hate when people say that "securing" the borders won't stop illegal immigration. My answer to that is that obviously illegal immigration will not completely stop, but the numbers will be reduced. There are a lot of places along the border that are just wide open, we could start there if we want. It's like people want to try to shut down any attempt to do anything on the border. They here the worder border and they just immediatelly get all defeated with talk like, "Just because you put up a wall doesn't mean they'll not get it." Yea, but don't act like it won't help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2010, 08:15 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,731,841 times
Reputation: 22159
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I hate when people say that "securing" the borders won't stop illegal immigration. My answer to that is that obviously illegal immigration will not completely stop, but the numbers will be reduced. There are a lot of places along the border that are just wide open, we could start there if we want. It's like people want to try to shut down any attempt to do anything on the border. They here the worder border and they just immediatelly get all defeated with talk like, "Just because you put up a wall doesn't mean they'll not get it." Yea, but don't act like it won't help.
Me too. It' no different than saying that because 100% of murders or rapes will not be solved, there's no point in trying to solve any of them. Or that because no matter what, some men will still end up beating their wives so -- oh well -- we might as well throw away all the laws regarding that. If it's not possible to end wife beating 100%, then don't bother prosecuting any wife beaters. Or shoplifting. Can 100% of all shoplifting be ended? No -- so wwe might as well remove all security devices, fire all security guards and let the thieves have at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2010, 08:23 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,155,041 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Me too. It' no different than saying that because 100% of murders or rapes will not be solved, there's no point in trying to solve any of them. Or that because no matter what, some men will still end up beating their wives so -- oh well -- we might as well throw away all the laws regarding that. If it's not possible to end wife beating 100%, then don't bother prosecuting any wife beaters. Or shoplifting. Can 100% of all shoplifting be ended? No -- so wwe might as well remove all security devices, fire all security guards and let the thieves have at it.
I'm with you guys. The pro-illegal advocates will make any excuse in the book not to secure our borders or to take any steps to stop illegal immigration because they want the illegals to remain here and for the tsunami at our southern border to continue. Remember that the ultimate agenda is to demographically change this country or to make sure their cheap illegal labor supply continues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top