U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 01:58 AM

3,460 posts, read 4,790,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Sometimes Americans drive without insurance and a drivers license too. In fact, I'll be most uninsured/unlicenced drivers on the roads are American citizens.
That's irrelevant without comparing it to the percentage of illegal immigrants driving without insurance versus Americans driving without insurance. If 90% of a certain population group is doing something that puts the rest of us at risk, why shouldn't we do something about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 05:57 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,250,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
That's irrelevant without comparing it to the percentage of illegal immigrants driving without insurance versus Americans driving without insurance. If 90% of a certain population group is doing something that puts the rest of us at risk, why shouldn't we do something about it?
How about passing laws for everyone that if you get caught driving without a license or insurance you go to jail? Shouldn't matter what your legal status is. Also, be sure your insurance covers you for uninsured motorists.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:16 AM

4,888 posts, read 8,901,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
A friend who was recently in a traffic accident hit a couple of undocumented Mexicans who ran a red light, had no insurance, and no drivers licenses. Do you think there's even a tiny chance of her managing to get them to pay for the damage to her car?
Did it ever occur to her to put uninsured motorists on her policy? The point of insurance is to cover unexpected costs, and that includes other motorists that don't have their own insurance. And there's plenty of Americans who fall in that category.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:05 AM

357 posts, read 1,123,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Did it ever occur to her to put uninsured motorists on her policy? The point of insurance is to cover unexpected costs, and that includes other motorists that don't have their own insurance. And there's plenty of Americans who fall in that category.

I was hit by a blonde, very pale white guy who ran a red light and fled the scene, probably because he didn't have insurance. seriously doubt he was latino.

my insurance covered me against stupid white guys who hit me and flee the scene.

I don't blame all white guy drivers for that lovely specimen. I just blame him.

btw, I hear that about 40% of americans cheat on their taxes, though many believe the % is much higher. that would make nearly half or more of americans tax cheats, or criminals. oh dear, I think we should round up all those criminals...

Old 05-10-2010, 09:46 AM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCACO View Post
....btw, I hear that about 40% of americans cheat on their taxes, though many believe the % is much higher. that would make nearly half or more of americans tax cheats, or criminals. oh dear, I think we should round up all those criminals...
What would be the impact of rounding up all those tax cheats (Multiple Choice!):
a. Fill up some super-secret FEMA camps.
b. Decimate Tea Party Rallies.
c. Nobody left to run the House and Senate.
d. Postings on City-Data would decrease.

Meanwhile, I've seen no mention or stark indications of an illegal immigrant rush into COLO, but I'm seeing more TV news reports of violence in the areas of COLO SPGS where such people usually reside. But still, such people could just as easily go to NM, NV, TX or back south of the border. If the aliens are low key enough to stay in AZ for years, they'd probably just stay put if they have employment.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:22 AM

12,102 posts, read 20,348,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
What would be the impact of rounding up all those tax cheats (Multiple Choice!):
a. Fill up some super-secret FEMA camps.
b. Decimate Tea Party Rallies.
c. Nobody left to run the House and Senate.
d. Postings on City-Data would decrease.
I would add one more:

e. All of the above.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:07 AM

Location: Southern California native, last 20 yrs in Milwaukee Wisc.
1,142 posts, read 3,317,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Sounds like unfounded hysteria but you might want to check under your bed or in your closet just to be sure. In the '50s the commies hid out in those places. Be afraid, be very afraid.
If it is true, I hope that a whole bunch of illegals grace *your* neighborhood.
Soon.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:46 AM

79 posts, read 120,133 times
I wouldn't be surprised if many illegals do come to Colorado, since cities like Denver and Boulder cravenly proclaim themselves as sanctuary cities.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:00 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,107,697 times
As a politically neutral Chrisitan, I can empathize with both sides of the immigration argument fully. On the one hand, you have a huge number of people here illegally which end up being a real strain on an already overburdened economic and social infrastructure. On the other hand, you have human individuals and families who just want a 'better life' for themselves and are willing to leave their home and live illegally in another country just to find some hard work and low pay in the US.

So what is the solution? The difficult truth is that there isn't one, not in this system anyways. Sure, we can go on scape-goating our problems onto government policies, politicians and each other. Or perhaps we can put up a 'fight' and maybe help push another imperfect law, bill or other policy through to help some and hurt others. But where do either of those approaches really get us as a whole?

I'm really not trying to sound defeatist, and I'm definately not going to get preachy here, but the sooner we're willing to look at these unwinnable debates for what they really are, then the hungrier will be for real and lasting solutions, and the closer we will be to finding them.

PS: Oh, and as for being hit by an undocumented driver, yeah, that's what uninsured motorist coverage is for. Not really fair but what is?

Old 05-10-2010, 04:24 PM

215 posts, read 697,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCACO View Post

I might also point out that terms like "waves" can be construed as less that favorable at best and racist at worst.

Waves of Italians came into this country during the 1890's

Waves of Irish immigrants came into this country in the 1860's.

"Waves," is now a racist term? I should tell my family since I've seen their Legal documents from when they entered Ellis island in the 1890's as a part of the wave of Italian immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or