Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 09:55 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
How do you know they don't have respect for them? They probably would like to be able to get a license and insurance but can't because of their status. You can't have it both ways, either you let them get a license and inurance or you don't whine about it when they run into you. They're going to be here in any case whether folks like it or not. Believe me the government's not going to deport them in any major quantities. We need the labor.
We know they don't have respect for our laws by their very presence. They obviously know it's illegal to come here but do it anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 09:58 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
A lot of the difficulties you have with south of the border immigrants is because they're new to our country. After they've been here a generation or two they'll fit in just like other earlier immigrant groups.
I disagree to an extent. One major difference is it's easier to cross a land border than it is to cross an ocean. Illegal immigrants who cross a land border are less ambitious than those who have had to cross an ocean, almost by definition.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:32 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
For any country to survive it has to put it's own citizens first.

When I lived in Vail, it was overrun with illegals due to the massive multi billion $ construction boom from 1998-2008. That is over and done with just about once the big projects get finished in the village, so I don't think there will be much under the table work to go around like their used to be.

Mostly I don't like the idea of unregistered, unknown people running around my country that take goods and services and don't pay tax or into the system.

A lot of people try to make this into a race issue, but is not. It just so happens that many of the illegals are from Mexico or further south, but that is coincidence.

The federal government has sat on it's hands for long enough and it's time for the states to step up. Hopefully Colorado will get tough using current laws or pass what is needed to protect it's citizens.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:37 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,290,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

Has anyone seen anything to support the rumor/hunch that illegals are fleeing AZ for CO?
I think I'm gonna buy a lime green jacket and get "ICE POLICE" stenciled on the back and wear it into some local restaurants and maybe go check out some of the houses in construction here in town. I should be able to get a good feel for the magnitude of the problem by counting the a**es and elbows hauling butt the other way yelling "¡emigre! ¡emigre!"

Old 05-11-2010, 09:03 AM

33 posts, read 65,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
A friend who was recently in a traffic accident hit a couple of undocumented Mexicans who ran a red light, had no insurance, and no drivers licenses. Do you think there's even a tiny chance of her managing to get them to pay for the damage to her car?

Welcome to the world of living with people who have no respect for our laws...
I was hit by a natural born, non-hispanic citizen who flouted the law and had no insurance. He tried to flee, but his car wouldn't run. All of the damage was paid on my car because I have uninsured motorist coverage.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:15 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
mysticaltyger wrote:
Illegal immigrants who cross a land border are less ambitious than those who have had to cross an ocean, almost by definition.
Ambition or lack thereof, is a personal quality, having little to do with an individuals place of birth.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:25 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
How do you know they don't have respect for them? They probably would like to be able to get a license and insurance but can't because of their status. You can't have it both ways, either you let them get a license and inurance or you don't whine about it when they run into you. They're going to be here in any case whether folks like it or not. Believe me the government's not going to deport them in any major quantities. We need the labor.
Because if they did they would not be here in the US illegally. They would get in line behind fellow countrymen trying to immigrate here LEGALLY>>>

Old 05-11-2010, 09:41 AM

19 posts, read 41,126 times
Quote:
Justification for breaking the law?! They can apply & get legal DL & Insurance. What do the temp. workers from other countries do? And yes, they do not respect the law if they break it. Being in America does not mean we can treat the laws as a buffet - pick & choose what we want.
We don't need the labor. I know of a dozen Americans that have been doing construction all their life that can't find the jobs now or are constantly getting underbided. I know of a couple college students that want jobs as waitresses.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:54 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Has anyone seen anything to support the rumor/hunch that illegals are fleeing AZ for CO?
I just saw a couple dark-haired guys walking by outside wearing Diamondbacks apparel. There's your evidence!

Old 05-11-2010, 10:12 AM

299 posts, read 903,621 times
If you want to see some of the negative, long-term effects that illegal immigration has, come to Pueblo. My parents were born and raised here, and they both say that the Hispanic population has exploded in the last 30 years. I'm only 23, and I can attest that over the last 10 years or so, I have noticed a huge increase in the ratio of Hispanics to whites, specifically in my high school classrooms.

The culture that this has created in Pueblo is hard to take at times. Imagine yourself walking into a fast food restaurant. In the parking lot, there's a lowrider with the Mexican flag draped across the back seat. When you go inside, you are in line behind a guy wearing a white muscle shirt who has tattoos all over his body, and has his last name tattooed across his back. In the corner, there is a 22 or 23 year-old woman who is trying to get her 3 and 5 year-old children to stop misbehaving so that she can get her infant child to stop crying. There is also another guy yelling at the people in the kitchen, saying "My hito's hungry! Hurry up! I've gotta feed my crew!"

If you were a white person, wouldn't this make you feel a little awkward?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration