U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-11-2010, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Home, Home on the Front Range
21,026 posts, read 15,233,614 times
Reputation: 11768

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyanks57 View Post
If you want to see some of the negative, long-term effects that illegal immigration has, come to Pueblo. My parents were born and raised here, and they both say that the Hispanic population has exploded in the last 30 years. I'm only 23, and I can attest that over the last 10 years or so, I have noticed a huge increase in the ratio of Hispanics to whites, specifically in my high school classrooms.

The culture that this has created in Pueblo is hard to take at times. Imagine yourself walking into a fast food restaurant. In the parking lot, there's a lowrider with the Mexican flag draped across the back seat. When you go inside, you are in line behind a guy wearing a white muscle shirt who has tattoos all over his body, and has his last name tattooed across his back. In the corner, there is a 22 or 23 year-old woman who is trying to get her 3 and 5 year-old children to stop misbehaving so that she can get her infant child to stop crying. There is also another guy yelling at the people in the kitchen, saying "My hito's hungry! Hurry up! I've gotta feed my crew!"

If you were a white person, wouldn't this make you feel a little awkward?

Sigh.
I am so glad my kids grew up in the NYC metro area. They wouldn't even blink at what is described above.

Last edited by TigerLily24; 05-11-2010 at 01:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-11-2010, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Wherabouts Unknown!
7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times
Reputation: 9287
TigerLily24....having grown up in NYC where all your problems have been solved many years ago, you just can't fathom how bad things are in a frontier state like Colorado! Some people have all the luck being born in NYC, while we unfortunates in Colorado live a life that is so much worse than anywhere else. Colorado is just sooooooooooooo different. Imagine every problem ( especially illegal immigration ) that exists in America and multiply it by a 100, and you'll still come up short of how much worse it is in Colorado.....in the eyes of some people who live here.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 05-11-2010 at 01:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2010, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
4,888 posts, read 8,901,170 times
Reputation: 2435
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
We know they don't have respect for our laws by their very presence. They obviously know it's illegal to come here but do it anyway.
If you lived in a country with high unemployment and low wages, you'd hop the border too. Guaranteed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2010, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Portlandia "burbs"
10,236 posts, read 13,520,511 times
Reputation: 25856
I watched some evening news (can't remember what it was) and the reporter "interviewed" this family in Arizona that was packing up to move to Colorado. The couple admitted to crossing over illegally at the time they did it. I don't know if they were married at the time or not, but since then they have produced TEN children, all born here. I have a personal issue with any family having that many kids, illegal or not! Can't help wondering how they supported such a large household because I can't see THREE minimum-wage jobs between the parents covering it.

But I don't believe the reporter said anything about most of them targeting Colorado. I'm sure word gets around to "where" there's more availability of work. Oregon's right behind California's lack of jobs, and many illegals have left.

Mysticaltyger, you just have described California and Oregon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2010, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
1,422 posts, read 3,872,713 times
Reputation: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyanks57 View Post
If you want to see some of the negative, long-term effects that illegal immigration has, come to Pueblo. My parents were born and raised here, and they both say that the Hispanic population has exploded in the last 30 years. I'm only 23, and I can attest that over the last 10 years or so, I have noticed a huge increase in the ratio of Hispanics to whites, specifically in my high school classrooms.

The culture that this has created in Pueblo is hard to take at times. Imagine yourself walking into a fast food restaurant. In the parking lot, there's a lowrider with the Mexican flag draped across the back seat. When you go inside, you are in line behind a guy wearing a white muscle shirt who has tattoos all over his body, and has his last name tattooed across his back. In the corner, there is a 22 or 23 year-old woman who is trying to get her 3 and 5 year-old children to stop misbehaving so that she can get her infant child to stop crying. There is also another guy yelling at the people in the kitchen, saying "My hito's hungry! Hurry up! I've gotta feed my crew!"

If you were a white person, wouldn't this make you feel a little awkward?
No. But maybe I myself am just awkward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2010, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
1,422 posts, read 3,872,713 times
Reputation: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Sounds like unfounded hysteria but you might want to check under your bed or in your closet just to be sure. In the '50s the commies hid out in those places. Be afraid, be very afraid.

Wish you wouldn't have said that. Now instead of the boogeyman we're going to have to start telling our kids to check under the bed for illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2010, 01:50 PM
 
10,713 posts, read 11,412,857 times
Reputation: 4751
There was a segment on 60 minutes or to the like about the massive illegal immigration fluctuation in colorado a year or two ago. Basically companies are actually going to mexico to promote the vast amount of labor jobs and "helping" them get into the country, even going as far as getting fake documents and driver's licenses.
One business owner claims he has to hire illegals because he couldn't stay in business, but shortly after he dropped the hard working americas for illegals, he bought a second house.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2010, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 26,250,313 times
Reputation: 6815
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
One business owner claims he has to hire illegals because he couldn't stay in business, but shortly after he dropped the hard working americas for illegals, he bought a second house.....
Whatever it takes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2010, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Aurora
357 posts, read 1,123,896 times
Reputation: 277
goyanks57, mysticaltyger, bob from down south, do you guys hear yourselves? do you have any idea how racist you sound? how bigoted? omg, it's just nauseating...

and if you consider yourself a christian, ask yourself, WWJD? I'm pretty sure it's not what you've posted. if you're not a christian but spiritual, ask yourself whether what you've said on this board is at all a decent way to behave toward others who are less fortunate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2010, 08:16 PM
 
3,460 posts, read 4,790,435 times
Reputation: 6677
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCACO View Post
goyanks57, mysticaltyger, bob from down south, do you guys hear yourselves? do you have any idea how racist you sound? how bigoted? omg, it's just nauseating...

and if you consider yourself a christian, ask yourself, WWJD? I'm pretty sure it's not what you've posted. if you're not a christian but spiritual, ask yourself whether what you've said on this board is at all a decent way to behave toward others who are less fortunate.
I don't see anything racist about Bob's idea of wearing an ICE jacket. If the people are here legally they won't have anything to worry about, and if they're here illegally they deserve to be nervous regardless of their country of origin.

I used to drive a car that looked a lot like a police cruiser, and it was always entertaining watching speeders slam on their brakes as they saw me.

Regarding your question about WWJD, I'm assuming that he'd probably tell them to go back home and stop coveting the belongings of their neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top