U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 08:20 PM

5,706 posts, read 7,891,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
If you lived in a country with high unemployment and low wages, you'd hop the border too. Guaranteed.
More Americans are doing just that. Only they're jumping a big pond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 12:16 AM

24,720 posts, read 26,785,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
If you lived in a country with high unemployment and low wages, you'd hop the border too. Guaranteed.
Maybe. But no one can say with any credibility that someone who immigrates to another country illegally respects that country's laws.

That just doesn't compute.

And to add insult to injury, they march down our streets with Mexican flags (and it just happened in my city a few weekends ago) to protest our immigration laws and proclaim their "rights". Why aren't they doing that in their home country? Answer: They're looking for the path of least resistance and the US is an easy target.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
mysticaltyger wrote:
Illegal immigrants who cross a land border are less ambitious than those who have had to cross an ocean, almost by definition.
Ambition or lack thereof, is a personal quality, having little to do with an individuals place of birth.
Not that simple. It's true, it has relatively little to do with place of birth per se. It has more to do with how easy it is to immigrate from one location to another. It's more difficult to immigrate across an ocean than across a land border. When barriers to entry are easier, you're not going to get the cream of the crop.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCACO View Post
goyanks57, mysticaltyger, bob from down south, do you guys hear yourselves? do you have any idea how racist you sound? how bigoted? omg, it's just nauseating...

and if you consider yourself a christian, ask yourself, WWJD? I'm pretty sure it's not what you've posted. if you're not a christian but spiritual, ask yourself whether what you've said on this board is at all a decent way to behave toward others who are less fortunate.
What would Jesus do? Would Jesus be ok with a small elite in Mexico and other Latin American countries happily dumping their poor citizens on another country to take care of? Would Jesus be ok with Mexico and other Latin American countries being so poor as a result of massive corruption? Would Jesus be Ok with the American business community (and a fair number of middle class folks looking for cheap day labor) enriching themselves in the name of cheap labor? Would Jesus be ok with people ignoring immigration laws (whether they be immigrants or business owners) ignoring the laws of the land for the sake of their own personal gain? Would Jesus be ok with government officials deliberately ignoring immigration laws in order to exploit immigrants (or their children) for the purpose of gaining political power in the form of votes?

Somehow, I don't think Jesus would be ok with any of these things.

The Jesus I know understands that true compassion does not automatically let people break the law because it's expedient. The Jesus I know understands the end does not justify the means.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:02 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,513,116 times
Jesus made it clear that the law of the land was to be respected. He had His disciples pay required taxes. Satan is the law breaker and the one who teaches cheating and breaking laws.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:15 AM

2,739 posts, read 4,073,055 times
I believe it! They might leave Arizona but they are not going back to their own countries.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:39 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,618,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Jesus made it clear that the law of the land was to be respected. He had His disciples pay required taxes. Satan is the law breaker and the one who teaches cheating and breaking laws.
For Pete's sake, if your gonna speak for the primary prophet of a major world religion, particularly in regard to his views on law, at least be well versed in it's major scriptures. Re-read Matthew 22 (15-22, 34-40), for starters, if you're going to suggest how Jesus would view illegal immigration and really *think* about it. As this is not the place to debate religious precepts I will leave it at that (and hope I don't get modded away...)

Old 05-12-2010, 07:48 AM

21,026 posts, read 15,233,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
For Pete's sake, if your gonna speak for the primary prophet of a major world religion, particularly in regard to his views on law, at least be well versed in it's major scriptures. Re-read Matthew 22 (15-22, 34-40), for starters, if you're going to suggest how Jesus would view illegal immigration and really *think* about it. As this is not the place to debate religious precepts I will leave it at that (and hope I don't get modded away...)
And, let's not forget this little nugget from everyone's favorite book - Leviticus, in particular this passage:

Leviticus 19:34

"The alien living with you must be treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am the LORD your God."

Funny how so many remember that other passage from Leviticus but ignore this one.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:01 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times
mysticaltyger wrote:
Not that simple. It's true, it has relatively little to do with place of birth per se. It has more to do with how easy it is to immigrate from one location to another. It's more difficult to immigrate across an ocean than across a land border. When barriers to entry are easier, you're not going to get the cream of the crop.
What you say applies in a general way, but ultimately it comes down to what's inside the person, regardless of the externals.

TigerLily24 wrote:
Funny how so many remember that other passage from Leviticus but ignore this one.
I don't think they are ignoring the one you quoted, it simply didn't fit their preconceived notions. The thing about scriptures, is that we can always find a quote to support our pet viewpoint, something that keeps us safely within our comfortable boxes. It's human nature. We love it when God seems to be on our side.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 05-12-2010 at 08:14 AM..

Old 05-12-2010, 10:02 AM

2,437 posts, read 7,107,697 times
Is it perhaps time to close this thread or migrate it to a political or religious forum?

If you really want to see from God's Word how he views the political affairs (including alien residence) of Jesus' day and ours, just ask one of Jehovah's Witnesses next time they knock on your door and try to keep an open mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or