Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 01:48 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
++reps to you, Wanneroo.

That's what the illegal immigration issue is really about, IMO. Why aren't the people of Latin America doing mass protests like they are in Greece??? (Not that I agree completely with the rationale for the protests...but at least the Greeks are standing up to their corrupt government on some level) Mexicans and other Latin Americans don't stand up to their own governments but seem glad to come to the US and protest here. They accept massive corruption in their own country as "just the way it is" but come here to assert rights they don't have. Does it make me a right wing nut job to say I think there's something wrong with this picture???
I just think people would rather pawn responsibility off onto others and since the USA has been so generous around the world, people and countries take advantage and an entitlement mentality exists.

I have to listen to whiny aussies, kiwis, europeans and brits all the time about the problems of the world. They complain IF the USA does something about it and they complain if we DO NOT. There is no way to win but I think it's time to cut the strings and not be isolationist, but it's time to have some restraint and put those people to work solving their own problems.

It's like with things like the Israel/Palestinian issue. I'm tired of hearing about and I'm tired of it being the USA's problem not to mention us funding both sides.

I think Mexico is headed the way of Africa, a place largely dependent on handouts and aid. Well that doesn't work and it's time for Mexicans to bond together, get tough and start working towards fixing their problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 01:49 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
This is only true if they bring in their families and intend on staying forever. Put up fences and tougher border enforcement and that is exactly what they feel they must do. But a laborer of any economic strata is actually a positive for an economy, a very big one actually and a drain on the country which educated and took care of him or her in the years of their life when they couldn't economically contribute.

Start with that understanding and you can create a pretty positive immigration policy. We let the churches talk about keeping families together and have that drive our immigration policy and you get the mess we have in the US.
I disagree with your assertion that a laborer of any economic strata is a positive for the economy. When the taxes that laborer pays (if he/she pays any) don't come anywhere close to covering the cost of public services consumed, then that laborer is being subsidized by the host country.

Now, if those laborers come here and we are not required to provide medical care, schooling, etc. to them with our tax dollars, then that's a different story. But many of these things (such as education in Plyler v Doe) have been mandated by the courts, so that's not the reality we're dealing with.

I personally think we should have a point system like they do in Australia. Workers with little education/skills get few points.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:56 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I just think people would rather pawn responsibility off onto others and since the USA has been so generous around the world, people and countries take advantage and an entitlement mentality exists.

I have to listen to whiny aussies, kiwis, europeans and brits all the time about the problems of the world. They complain IF the USA does something about it and they complain if we DO NOT. There is no way to win but I think it's time to cut the strings and not be isolationist, but it's time to have some restraint and put those people to work solving their own problems.

It's like with things like the Israel/Palestinian issue. I'm tired of hearing about and I'm tired of it being the USA's problem not to mention us funding both sides.

I think Mexico is headed the way of Africa, a place largely dependent on handouts and aid. Well that doesn't work and it's time for Mexicans to bond together, get tough and start working towards fixing their problems.
We're in complete agreement.

And I honestly think Americans would be a lot more sympathetic to the plight of Mexicans and other Latin Americans if they did do mass protests like the Greeks are doing. We know Mexico & other Latin American governments are corrupt and we know how hard it is to get the government to change. But I think most Americans would respect that instead of coming here illegally and doing things half a$$ed.

Illegal immigrants are trying to solve a problem with the same mindset that created it (doing things in a corrupt, illegal, under the table kind of way). It ultimately doesn't work.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:05 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
How do you know they don't have respect for them? They probably would like to be able to get a license and insurance but can't because of their status. You can't have it both ways, either you let them get a license and inurance or you don't whine about it when they run into you. They're going to be here in any case whether folks like it or not. Believe me the government's not going to deport them in any major quantities. We need the labor.
One would think that if they had respect for our laws they would have followed them in the first place. And did you know that during the great depression, many were in fact deported so Americans could find work? Also shortly after WWII Eisenhower deported almost 13 million illegal aliens, including many Asians, so returning G.I.'s could find work. So the crap the goverment spews about not being able to deport that many, is just that, crap.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:13 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Why would CO be worried about a further invasion? They, along with every other State, have done little to stem the flow of Illegal Aliens since the mid 80s. I lived in Greeley for years and there are parts of it now that rivals TJ in all aspects on the N side. A complete underground economy. If these new Illegals do come what jobs are they going to do? There are no jobs that I know of. This just kind of proves the point they can live fairly well off of the social service network via their children.

But I do hope they choose that direction (sorry CO) cause we already have over 3 million.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:31 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAPA View Post
Waves of Italians came into this country during the 1890's

Waves of Irish immigrants came into this country in the 1860's.

"Waves," is now a racist term? I should tell my family since I've seen their Legal documents from when they entered Ellis island in the 1890's as a part of the wave of Italian immigrants.

More people from Mexico have entered the US illegally in the past decade than 150 years of Irish, most of which were legal - apparently your family did it the legal way.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:01 PM

2,205 posts, read 2,535,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
How do you know they don't have respect for them? They probably would like to be able to get a license and insurance but can't because of their status. You can't have it both ways, either you let them get a license and inurance or you don't whine about it when they run into you. They're going to be here in any case whether folks like it or not. Believe me the government's not going to deport them in any major quantities. We need the labor.
You don't pay for illegal aliens do you? Maybe some income tax yet your bills are minuscule, am I correct? Or do you have a family who you work your ass off for to get into college only to be taxed to death? Guess who's sucking up those taxes dear....

So for you to say "guess who would love to have all those things" just ticks me off to no end. Of course EVERYONE would love to have these things and those from other country's GET IN LINE for these things and pay $$$$ plus work very hard. Illegal aliens not only sneak across the border, they then claim this as their country (because they have none of their own-not my problem) and then demand we change EVERYTHING FOR THEM! Get a grip! They are leaches and suck this country dry of my hard earned money. I want them gone, however it is accomplished is fine with me. So, please, don't preach compassion to me about some undeserved invader stealing from my cookie jar. They are despicable in the worst sense.

Oh and I have to add-look up ATTRITION=deportation. Problem solved. We do NOT need illegal labor, we have a system set up for immediate labor needs.. GET THEM OFF OF OUR SS SYSTEM. Prove citizenship, otherwise, getout!

Old 05-13-2010, 05:32 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
I'm sure if the illegals all go to Colorado they will embrace their love of the environment and comport to all such efforts.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:36 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
[quote=Willy702;14108281]Don't invasions come with armed forces? What a ridiculous term to use.[/quot

Evidently you nevrer heard the term--" home invasion"--in regards to breaking into a house where you don't belong there.

No different than illegals who cross into the border to a country they don't have a right to be in.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:00 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post

I totally agree. I am tired of our country being the scapegoat for every poor and destitute person who manages to sneak in here and tired of our country being more concerned about the problems of other countries than our own. As long as we continue to be the sponge for all the needy in Mexico they will never pull themselves up by the bootstraps and demand change in their own country. Time for "Tough Love".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration