U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-13-2010, 10:03 PM

2,207 posts, read 1,338,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
But there is NO racial profiling allowed in this law! God, I am getting a headache.
Let go of the headache, let em whirl, we have work to do and trying to convince those who are part of the problem isn't included. Chicagonut...the debate will never end so action is now a requirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 10:08 PM

14,307 posts, read 6,300,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
Let go of the headache, let em whirl, we have work to do and trying to convince those who are part of the problem isn't included. Chicagonut...the debate will never end so action is now a requirement.
Agreed. Your points made my headache all better already, thanks.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:09 PM

11,983 posts, read 13,379,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmsb1 View Post
California has completely sold out to Illegal Aliens that have clearly violated are laws. I guess social justice trumps rule of law now days. What's next?
I presume you're talking about how the Prop 187 backlash resulted in more Latinos voting and more Latinos running for office?

Guess what, the same thing's going to happen now in AZ as a result of SB 1070! The political developments in AZ in the next few years will parallel those in California in the 1990s.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:17 PM

21,157 posts, read 26,440,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I presume you're talking about how the Prop 187 backlash resulted in more Latinos voting and more Latinos running for office?

Guess what, the same thing's going to happen now in AZ as a result of SB 1070! The political developments in AZ in the next few years will parallel those in California in the 1990s.
I doubt that will occur. Remember that Arizona is a more conservative state than California and a disproportionate number of our registered voters are very pissed off Americans who hold illegal aliens in contempt. As it is; hostility is growing against at least the la raza type Hispanics here.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I doubt that will occur. Remember that Arizona is a more conservative state than California and a disproportionate number of our registered voters are very pissed off Americans who hold illegal aliens in contempt. As it is; hostility is growing against at least the la raza type Hispanics here.
If it wasn't for "very pissed off Americans holding illegal aliens in contempt" than 187 wouldn't have passed in the first place. However 187 did create a massive backlash that wound up shaking up the political landscape.

In politics as in other things every action has an opposite reaction.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:31 PM

382 posts, read 852,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
you might be right!

The issue is racial profiling highly offensive to Latinos. Getting technical is pointless unless your read public sentiment. The marches & boycotts are against Arizona [not in support of Arizona]. Arizona will make decisions based on out-of-state pressure because ultimately money counts!

Racial profiling would be offensive to anyone. My husband is Hispanic, and my children have that heritage. His family originates from Mexico. Guess what, they came here legally. They did it the right way. Not a one of them is worried about being racially profiled. My husbands family is all thumbs up with this law and think it's necessary. I happen to agree with them. It's a spit in the face to people who came here the right and legal way for people to think it's OK for undocumented aliens to stay here.

Please, let us get technical, racial profiling exists. It was here before the law, it will be here after the law. What type of profiling is acceptable? When does it cross the line? Is it racial profiling when a van stuffed full of Hispanics are driving North towards Phoenix and the police pull them over? Would you say the police were racial profiling, or just profiling?

Come here, come here legally. Assimilate and become an American, stand up for what being American means. Don't come here illegally and expect to be treated as a full citizen.

I understand that California has a problem just as bad, if not worse than AZ when it comes to undocumented aliens. It just seems that CA wants to turn their back on the laws, snub their noses at the rest of us, and wants to let the undocumented aliens stay here as they are. Doesn't seem to be doing CA much good right now does it?

Maybe we should go the way of Mexico in how Mexico treats illegals in their country.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:42 PM

7,413 posts, read 3,411,999 times
Quote:

Excellent points. 15 yrs ago California voters passed a proposition limiting public services to illegal immigrants but the court halted it. Do you think the court will step in against Arizona? I can only imagine how quickly the 9th circuit federal court would stop the Arizona law. But the real issue, as you point out, is how Latinos mobilized and registered voters. It sent the Republican party in orbit and they have never recovered in California.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:46 PM

1,213 posts, read 952,035 times
Quote:

That's right. Why just look at Grijalva in AZ. Oh, that's right. He was the radical left amnesty LATINO democrat who just committed political suicide in calling for a boycott of AZ businesses.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguer View Post
That's right. Why just look at Grijalva. Oh, that's right. He was the radical left amnesty LATINO democrat who just committed political suicide in calling for a boycott of AZ businesses.
Grijalva has won election and re-election by a landslide every time he's run for Congress. The chances of him losing his seat are pretty low.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:44 PM

559 posts, read 923,074 times
I wonder how much money is gonna be saved from this law, probably would make it worth it in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration