U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 06:02 PM

5,706 posts, read 7,898,912 times

Advertisements

Council members agreed to bar official travel to Arizona and avoid new city contracts with state firms.

BBC News - Los Angeles to boycott Arizona over immigration law

LA is falling apart at the seams and this is what the city council is wasting their time on? I wonder how much money illegal immigrants are costing the taxpayers of LA each and every year.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 06:05 PM

2,256 posts, read 5,909,546 times
If you are legal here, you shouldn't have a problem with this law. LA sounds like its run by illegals...or at least people who support illegals.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:15 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,042,490 times
More confirmation that the LA city council is a worthless steaming pile of crap that's more concerned with the interests of criminals than American taxpayers.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:43 PM

23,605 posts, read 30,365,118 times
Gosh! That's a real surprise!

Old 05-12-2010, 06:58 PM

2,318 posts, read 6,846,450 times
Agreed, waste of City Council's time. Let the courts sort this out.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:14 PM

364 posts, read 863,495 times
Good! Arizona's law is nothing more than racial profiling. Cops in Arizona have a reason - or rather, no reason - to pull over Hispanics like me or my family. BTW, we're all legal.

If we want to end illegal immigration - which I am all for - then we need to stop hiring them as cheap labor. There are way too many people hiring illegals. Cut out the work and you diminish the reason for illegals to cross over.

Also strengthen the borders. The billions spent on that farce known as the Iraq War (RIP my young cousin) could have been spent on border protection.

But it is not up to Arizona to weed out illegals in the guise of racial profiling.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:10 PM

6,455 posts, read 9,528,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetheoutdoors View Post
Good! Arizona's law is nothing more than racial profiling. Cops in Arizona have a reason - or rather, no reason - to pull over Hispanics like me or my family. BTW, we're all legal.

But it is not up to Arizona to weed out illegals in the guise of racial profiling.
You obviously haven't read the law, have you. Guess it's easier to swallow the hype.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:12 PM

2,243 posts, read 3,452,382 times
I'm boycotting the L.A. City Council. I can' wait until the next community meeting where I can express my opinions about this to Rosendahl's assistants. We have crumbling streets, sidewalks, trees on city property falling down, homeless all over, a playboy mayor who works ten hours a week, failing schools, DWP employees visiting strip clubs and drinking beer while on duty, overdevelopment on the west side which is going to make our terrible road gridlock even worse, but they somehow have time to worry about what Arizona is doing...

Old 05-12-2010, 08:18 PM

69,368 posts, read 79,577,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetheoutdoors View Post

If we want to end illegal immigration - which I am all for - then we need to stop hiring them as cheap labor. There are way too many people hiring illegals. Cut out the work and you diminish the reason for illegals to cross over.

Also strengthen the borders. The billions spent on that farce known as the Iraq War (RIP my young cousin) could have been spent on border protection.

no, it is up to our country and they don't seem to want to take action, so AZ is helping them out. GO AZ!!! It is not racial profiling, they can only pull someone over with cause...

Nita

Old 05-12-2010, 08:20 PM

7,413 posts, read 7,840,058 times
The 15-seat city council vote reflects the will of Angelenos just like the city councils of San Diego\ San Francisco\ Oakland\ South El Monte\ Carson\ Boston\ West Hollywood\ Minneapolis-St Paul\ school board of Denver, etc. This time it is the second largest city in America to rebuke Arizona & could effect nearly $60 million in business. The Phoenix mayor is asking the Arizona legislature to pull the law in the face of significant economic harm.

Today the national Republican party decided against holding it's 2012 convention in Phoenix [deciding to on Orlando instead]. Doesn't look good for Arizona unless it yells "uncle"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration