U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 03:39 PM

31 posts, read 81,859 times

Advertisements

I have to vent because my sister is in such a bad state of mind right now. She has been working in a wealthy highrise building as a housekeeper for about 15 years now. She also works doing clerical work in an office 2 days week. She likes the housekeeping because the money is decent and likes to make her own hours (worked well when her children were small). She also liked her clients who would always tell her what a GREAT job she was doing and what a GOOD and HONEST Women she is. Well, where she had 12 apartments as clients she is down to ONE in a matter of a year!
These wealthy Moderator cut: language who had her working for them for YEARS (is also happening to cleaning staff for the building) have ALL brought in Mexican immigrants. Can't say if they are ALL illegal but a GOOD portion ARE! My sister out of ALL the housekeepers who had been working in that building (talking about 20 or so) is the ONLY white left. The white and black women housekeepers are GONE. Their pay was NOTHING most would want to live on but it paid the bills. But these sh#t people with more money than most of us could DREAM of figured if they could get even cheaper WHY NOT!
Screw the fact that my sister and most likely the other American Housekeepers were with them for SO many years and worked their as#ses off to clean their "palaces". My sister took PRIDE in how well she would make their places look! She is now is her late 50's and it's going to be real tough for her. And I do not want to hear anymore how we (American's) won't do menial labor! Bullsh#t! We just want a FAIR pay!!! There is no way to win in this city anymore!

Last edited by bmwguydc; 05-14-2010 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: Language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 06:07 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,139,546 times
People always say that illegal immigrants do the jobs that Americans don't want to do. Not true. Plenty of poor Americans and poor legal immigrants would be willing to work for a fair and legal wage.
Almost thirty years ago my father, an immigrant, was washing dishes in a restaurant at minimum wage to help get himself through grad school and support my mum and older brother. Sometimes I wonder how they would have survived if it were present day and an illegal was hired over him.
(I hope that you're not pointing a finger at legal immigrants...as far as I'm concerned, as long as they have the papers they're allowed to compete with the rest of us.)

Old 05-14-2010, 07:47 PM

167 posts, read 417,377 times
This totally sucks, OP. This country is screwed....and the fact that so many people/politicians are outraged at Arizona's new illegal immigration law is the icing on the cake! This country is filled with bleeding heart...politically correct liberals who feel for these illegals. In fact, I'd be willing to bet a few are going to post on here..right after me.....

Old 05-14-2010, 07:56 PM

217 posts, read 816,765 times
Are you talking about immigrants or illegal immigrants? people who are here legally are fine.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:19 PM

60,202 posts, read 30,630,253 times
They first took my job as a framing carpenter in 1988 Then as a sheetrocker in 1989. Then I got into flooring and 96-97 they were pushing hard on my carpet installation career, the place I worked for wanted me to train them. I got away from carpet, because it no longer paid enough to feed my family and make a house & truck payment, much less all the insurance a subcontractor needs. Hardwood flooring, I went to wood science classes and specialized wood flooring schools to learn the craft before I jumped in on someone's investment. Well, here come the illegals into wood flooring, slapping the stuff down as fast as they could. I'm still holding my own on the repair side of wood floors.

My buddy had a stroke, so I have been helping him. He is a welding inspector. Guess who is doing most all the welding now? The guys welding the pipeline, are all illegal aliens.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:44 AM

31 posts, read 81,859 times
Thank you all above who responded to my post. And my title was wrong and tried editing but did not know how. Yes I did mean illegals. Anyone who goes through the proper channels should be able to work in this country. It seems they cut my thread but I figured that would happen. Any "bad" language I may have used I did not write out in full and have seen worse on this site. I just hope things get better for my sister. Thanks again!

Old 05-15-2010, 06:54 AM

2,206 posts, read 2,138,677 times
America is fighting hard to end this practice and restore our Nation to the land of plenty. Yes, if here legally then there was a need yet I question how much of a need is to our own country persons. Your sister is like my former mother-in-law. She worked decades as an office cleaner, loved her clientle and no longer has that job, had to adjust her supplement. She is no longer with "us" but lived the travesty as well. This is on the East Coast and common practice in any city where illegal invaders go.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:33 AM

3,855 posts, read 4,087,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltbklyn View Post
I have to vent because my sister is in such a bad state of mind right now. She has been working in a wealthy highrise building as a housekeeper for about 15 years now. She also works doing clerical work in an office 2 days week. She likes the housekeeping because the money is decent and likes to make her own hours (worked well when her children were small). She also liked her clients who would always tell her what a GREAT job she was doing and what a GOOD and HONEST Women she is. Well, where she had 12 apartments as clients she is down to ONE in a matter of a year!
These wealthy Moderator cut: language who had her working for them for YEARS (is also happening to cleaning staff for the building) have ALL brought in Mexican immigrants. Can't say if they are ALL illegal but a GOOD portion ARE! My sister out of ALL the housekeepers who had been working in that building (talking about 20 or so) is the ONLY white left. The white and black women housekeepers are GONE. Their pay was NOTHING most would want to live on but it paid the bills. But these sh#t people with more money than most of us could DREAM of figured if they could get even cheaper WHY NOT!
Screw the fact that my sister and most likely the other American Housekeepers were with them for SO many years and worked their as#ses off to clean their "palaces". My sister took PRIDE in how well she would make their places look! She is now is her late 50's and it's going to be real tough for her. And I do not want to hear anymore how we (American's) won't do menial labor! Bullsh#t! We just want a FAIR pay!!! There is no way to win in this city anymore!
why not mention the name of the company? how can you or you sister tell what a documented or an undocumented worker looks like?

What Im tired of is people with no proof or knowledge of the situation making claims that thay have no way to prove.

Call ICE...dont rant on a forum or blame the boogy man.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:51 AM

5,771 posts, read 6,971,022 times
Quote:
Where did this even take place?

Old 05-15-2010, 08:45 AM

11,638 posts, read 17,050,201 times
Quote:

Tell her to go back to school and get a decent job. Stop wasting you rlife scrubbing floors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or