U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2010, 12:56 AM

8,743 posts, read 10,010,248 times

Advertisements

Excuse me for asking...but I seriously don't get it.

A lot of people from both sides of the political spectrum have been telling me that the new Arizona bill is hatred towards Mexicans.

How so? They HAD to pass it because of the problems that the illegals were creating for their state. We all see how California went because of these issues. Where does it say it is aimed towards Mexicans in particular?

The governor of Arizona said there would be no racial profiling. It is illegal. Seriously, I don't get why Mexicans and Hispanics are so offended. Instead of whining that we are oh so horrible and having Shakira cry her eyes out, why don't they just admit that most illegals are Mexican and Hispanic and take care of it? Take action against the illegals so your group can improve its image instead of crying that the USA is so evil.

Sorry guys. I am usually liberal on most things but illegal immigration is just something I cannot support. If you break a law, you are a criminal. Simple as that. If we let the illegal Mexicans in because they want a better life too, why stop there? Why not let all of China and India and Russia come here too? Where is the limit?

So why not just admit that your racial group has created an problem and try to resolve it instead of screaming that Americans are racist. I am FOR the Arizona bill and I am not racist in the least. I don't care about the race. The bottom line is they broke the law. The law is law regardless of your race.

It is a slap in the face to people who have come legally and waited and LEARNED ENGLISH. That is what America is about. Coming here LEGALLY and working hard and earning your success for a better life. Not coming here and living off welfare and free health care and then whining that we're racist bastards.

Sorry for the rant but just...agh....
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 01:01 AM

2,106 posts, read 1,139,816 times
I don't think it's so much hate as it is false hope at the possible expense of a segment of the population. November isn't that far away, so attempts to curry votes (however misguided) wouldn't surprise me too very much. Those of us who are getting a bit long-in-the-tooth know that time does indeed fly, and that the fall is coming quickly.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:06 AM

16,189 posts, read 20,212,448 times
Solid commentary here. One of the things that The liberal Voice touches on here is the people "who have come legally and waited to learn English". Then there are the people (and there are a lot of them) who are waiting to get in by going through the process and seeing everybody waltz right through pretty as you please as if there was no process needed to enter in the first place. Who speaks for them? Does anyone think they don't have something to contribute once they do enter?

Old 05-16-2010, 01:10 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,809,119 times
It's a bass-ackwards approach, much like trying to use a band aid to stop a hemorrhage. If there are employers willing to employ undocumented workers, they are going to keep coming. Trying to empty an ocean using a teaspoon is ridiculous, go after the employers, and enforce the existing laws regarding employment eligibility.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:17 AM

8,743 posts, read 10,010,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Solid commentary here. One of the things that The liberal Voice touches on here is the people "who have come legally and waited to learn English". Then there are the people (and there are a lot of them) who are waiting to get in by going through the process and seeing everybody waltz right through pretty as you please as if there was no process needed to enter in the first place. Who speaks for them? Does anyone think they don't have something to contribute once they do enter?
I posted this in another forum. I am Indian and evidently as a result, I see other Indians who bring in their family....extend family...relatives...etc etc...

The mentality of immigrants used to be "I gotta work hard to support my family. I respect this country because it gave me a chance to grow."

I don't know if you read my post before but my father is my hero. He came here LEGALLY when he was 17 with his sister. Together, they worked minimum wage working on a farm and put themselves through college. Both of them shared one old car that didn't even have proper vipers so driving through rain was hard for them. They learned English through staying up as late as they could and studying it together.

Today, they both are in their early 50's and their hard work paid off. They have their professional careers AND show loyalty to the USA and Canada because they knew these countries gave it to them. (I say Canada because my aunt ended up there and it is similar). I am blessed that my father saved up a college fund for me and me and my sister are completing college.They think it is horribly UNFAIR that the illegals just hop the border and come here with their entitlement mentality.

What I am seeing in the community today even with LEGAL immigrants is "I dont care about the USA. I don't care about learning English. I just want money". The mindset of immigrants around 20-30 years ago is SOOO different than immigrants of today. I am just shocked. Through family friends and Indian temple gatherings, I meet so many people who just came to the USA and they tell me how much they hate it and they miss Mother India. I have news for you. Go back home! They will NEVER have loyalty. They only come here for the money (half the time to send back to their motherland) and don't give a crap about the country. They don't want to work and if they do, they avoid the "moral less and filthy Americans" (NOTE-I DO NOT AGREE WITH THIS. )

It makes me SO ANGRY to think that the hard work of my father and aunt as well as other immigrants who worked SO HARD to achieve their dreams are getting slapped in their faces. It makes me SO ANGRY to think that people come here just for the money and not for the LOVE of the USA and freedom to be what you are. I am not saying all immigrants behave like this but from what I am seeing, most are.

Heck with illegal immigration...I am even against LEGAL immigration for a good 15 years until we can get OUR PEOPLE working.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:05 AM

18,714 posts, read 14,842,439 times
Take a look into the records of those who originally were behind the push and wrote the bill. Racist forwarded e-mail here, Holocaust denying e-mail forward there, you get the idea....

Also the whole 'looks illegal' thing makes me feel very uncomfortable. I understand Arizona has a major problem with illegal immigration, but having cops who have no training as border agents, Ice officials, etc act as immigration agents I just don't think is a wise decision. Even with the Amendment that was added to address the whole profiling thing you could still have many who are here legally or hell born here get caught up in this.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:07 AM

305 posts, read 723,177 times
because it leads to racial profiling and the typical superiority complex that whites have. It also opens up the door to other states making similar laws like illinos saying blacks create too much crime so lets make a law to legally stop them and check the car for weapons and you know as a liberal that what starts off in the street usually leads to other areas and as a black man I want to know I can provide for the next 30 years without white people being scared due to perception.

that's why the law is stupid but I think only minorities will probably understand.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:32 AM

2,106 posts, read 1,139,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.00 per hour View Post
because it leads to racial profiling and the typical superiority complex that whites have. It also opens up the door to other states making similar laws like illinos saying blacks create too much crime so lets make a law to legally stop them and check the car for weapons and you know as a liberal that what starts off in the street usually leads to other areas and as a black man I want to know I can provide for the next 30 years without white people being scared due to perception.

that's why the law is stupid but I think only minorities will probably understand.
Yes. This is why we keep hearing these cries of "Well. I am White, and I wouldn't mind being asked to show my ID, even if I wasn't doing anything wrong..." Completely missing the point (willfully?) that THEY will never be subjected to it.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:35 AM

953 posts, read 743,367 times
Most Americans feel not hatred toward our (especially southern) neighbors---but the frustration of betrayal by our duplicitous leaders, as well as the sting and exasperation of the disrespect and sense of entitlement displayed by illegal aliens on our Nation's soil.

Were the roles reversed and Americans poured across our neighbors borders, it would be considered an invasion by those nations. I seriously doubt their citizens, government or social systems would tolerate our illegal presence the way America has (too long), tolerated scofflaws. Yet, we are called racist, inhumanitarian, oppressors, and worse, by the disingenuous who would convince us it is OUR fault, and thus our RESPONSIBILITY, to receive those who will not stand and DEMAND dignity, liberty and opportunity from their own corrupt governances. Instead, they break and enter, and fly their flags, march, demonstrate, and make demands of their neighbor. This enrages the good and generous citizens of the United States.

Our disgust, however, is reserved not for illegal aliens; but for those who betray our nation; undermine our immigration laws, and defend, support and aid scofflaws, with excuses, porous defense, and subversive attempts to hold a fire-sale of precious citizenship, in exchange for cheap votes and labor.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:48 AM

18,714 posts, read 14,842,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
Yes. This is why we keep hearing these cries of "Well. I am White, and I wouldn't mind being asked to show my ID, even if I wasn't doing anything wrong..." Completely missing the point (willfully?) that THEY will never be subjected to it.
Exactly,

It really comes down to something like this. You have two cars both pulled over for rolling a stop sign, one with two white kids in it the other with two Hispanic kids in it (all four late teens early 20's) All four are either born here or here legally, drivers in both cases have ID's on them. If one of the passengers gets ID'd which one do you think it would be?? If neither passenger has an ID on them, which one do you think is going to jail?? Surely not the white one, because he would have never been asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration