U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2010, 11:56 AM

394 posts, read 896,608 times

Advertisements

My sister is the office manager for a very big farm and processor in eastern Washington. Unfortunately i don't see this sis too often, but saw her at a gathering yesterday and spoke to her at length about her job.

Every year just before harvest her company hires alot of temporary labor. Almost all of their applicants have the same pattern. They come in with ID that varies from suspicious to ridiculous. We're talking people presenting IDs that not only don't look lke them but sometimes are of people of a different race! Teenagers [she suspects some are underage] presenting IDs of people in their 30s, 40s and even 50s. They give false ssn's that don't clear e-verify. My sis' office calls the social security office and they are told to "just put it through". They are not allowed to question it any further. Her hands are tied. The illegals have nothing to worry about and they know it!

Now that last paragraph annoys me but this is where my blood begins to boil. She says that almost without exception all the new hires claim between 6 and 9 dependents, even the the teenage new hires! They do this so that they don't have to pay income taxes. The illegals do this because they have nothing to worry about and they know it!

After harvest season ends the next round of illegal manipulation begins. The temporary workers are laid off and her office then spends almost all their time over the next one to two weeks dealing with DSHS paperwork so the illegals can get their WELFARE CHECKS! All this paperwork is full of fraudulant information, her office knows it, DSHS knows it, but again they are told to "just put it through". She says these temporary hires are for the most part very hard working people during harvest, but if they don't get their welfare checks on time because of a paperwork glitch on her part they become very demanding and even rude. These people are well schooled on how to manipulate the american system. They have nothing to worry about and they know it!

Make no mistake this scenario is repeated over and over again throughout this country.

She says that for the most part illegals are the only ones that will do these temporary farm jobs, I say issue more temporary work visas and send them home when their work is done. DON'T GIVE THEM WELFARE FOR GAWD SAKES!

I've always felt that punishing employers that hire illegals is a good way of combating these sponges and I still do, but after talking to my sister I believe the problem is more systemic. We the [legal] people need to start demanding more from our corrupt and lazy government!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 03:13 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,087,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash61 View Post
My sister is the office manager for a very big farm and processor in eastern Washington. Unfortunately i don't see this sis too often, but saw her at a gathering yesterday and spoke to her at length about her job.

Every year just before harvest her company hires alot of temporary labor. Almost all of their applicants have the same pattern. They come in with ID that varies from suspicious to ridiculous. We're talking people presenting IDs that not only don't look lke them but sometimes are of people of a different race! Teenagers [she suspects some are underage] presenting IDs of people in their 30s, 40s and even 50s. They give false ssn's that don't clear e-verify. My sis' office calls the social security office and they are told to "just put it through". They are not allowed to question it any further. Her hands are tied. The illegals have nothing to worry about and they know it!

Now that last paragraph annoys me but this is where my blood begins to boil. She says that almost without exception all the new hires claim between 6 and 9 dependents, even the the teenage new hires! They do this so that they don't have to pay income taxes. The illegals do this because they have nothing to worry about and they know it!

After harvest season ends the next round of illegal manipulation begins. The temporary workers are laid off and her office then spends almost all their time over the next one to two weeks dealing with DSHS paperwork so the illegals can get their WELFARE CHECKS! All this paperwork is full of fraudulant information, her office knows it, DSHS knows it, but again they are told to "just put it through". She says these temporary hires are for the most part very hard working people during harvest, but if they don't get their welfare checks on time because of a paperwork glitch on her part they become very demanding and even rude. These people are well schooled on how to manipulate the american system. They have nothing to worry about and they know it!

Make no mistake this scenario is repeated over and over again throughout this country.

She says that for the most part illegals are the only ones that will do these temporary farm jobs, I say issue more temporary work visas and send them home when their work is done. DON'T GIVE THEM WELFARE FOR GAWD SAKES!

I've always felt that punishing employers that hire illegals is a good way of combating these sponges and I still do, but after talking to my sister I believe the problem is more systemic. We the [legal] people need to start demanding more from our corrupt and lazy government!
What is your sister's responsibility in all this, she is as much as fault as all the rest. Why cant she blow the whistle? why cant she ban with other workers and call on their Congressman? Or the TV/media?

Old 05-16-2010, 06:38 PM

4,767 posts, read 6,931,114 times
Now, before typing one more sentence, let me say emphatically, I am strongly against illegal aliens in this , or any other country.
I would like to see them all shipped back to where they came from.
Like any other situation, there are two sides to every story.
I do think the sister should have blown the whistle, without a doubt.
Shame on her for contributing to the inept system.
Now, the flip side of the immigration debacle.
It goes without saying, the ilegsals are entrenched in our economy.
If we suddenly woke up tomorrow to the news that the federal government is going to round up and deport all illegals in the country, by a consorted effort within the framework of immigration reform, what would be your thoughts?
Most would say,(me included) it's about time, but then the ramifications set in.
What will deporting these people do to our businesses, let alone our wallets?
Fine, they are leaving, now who will work the fields,and who will work in the service industries?
The unemployed in the nation may fill some of the gaps, but for sure they are not going to work for the wages the illegals did, nor will they work the many hours the illegals did.
So John Q. business owner is dealt a double whammy.
Hie cost of wages will skyrocket, and his new help won't put in all those hours.
Now because his cost has risen, he has to get more for his products.
John Q. public will have to foot the bill for the increase.
Like every story, there is a good side and a bad side.
My advice to all is to live with it.
By it I mean, the rise in prices.
We allowed this encroachment of illegals in the first place, and once they are deported, we will have to bear the brunt of what ever happens because of their deportation.
If that means higher prices for goods and services, then so be it.
Bob.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:46 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,887,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Now, before typing one more sentence, let me say emphatically, I am strongly against illegal aliens in this , or any other country.
If we suddenly woke up tomorrow to the news that the federal government is going to round up and deport all illegals in the country, by a consorted effort within the framework of immigration reform, what would be your thoughts?
Most would say,(me included) it's about time, but then the ramifications set in.
Fine, they are leaving, now who will work the fields,and who will work in the service industries?
The unemployed in the nation may fill some of the gaps, but for sure they are not going to work for the wages the illegals did, nor will they work the many hours the illegals did.
Hie cost of wages will skyrocket, and his new help won't put in all those hours.
We allowed this encroachment of illegals in the first place, and once they are deported, we will have to bear the brunt of what ever happens because of their deportation.
Bob.
You are assuming of course that the business owners actually pass on the cost savings to the consumer.
I know from personal experience with a contractor that this is not always true. I find it hard to believe that any in fact pass on the savings.
Certainly not hotels, or restaurants.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:53 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post

Bob.
Bring it on.

#1: we are in a deep recession so finding help may not be as bad as feared--------especially if/when there are no more unemployment extensions.
#2: remember that not all illegal aliens were for crap wages so raising the latter may not mean much in the real world
#3: prices will jump somewhat then settle back down as the ripples through the supply lines pass through.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:14 PM

394 posts, read 896,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
What is your sister's responsibility in all this, she is as much as fault as all the rest. Why cant she blow the whistle? why cant she ban with other workers and call on their Congressman? Or the TV/media?
good point, and a point i brought up to her. but she can't [won't] stir up that much of a sh**storm in this economy. she's worked her a** off to get where she is and i don't blame her for not wanting to throw it into the wind.

the point of this thread was to bring to light the complicity of our federal government to put our legal american citizens in this impossible situation to do the job they[the garbage in washington d.c.] refuse to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or