Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 07:04 AM

438 posts, read 503,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Do you consider the CDC a credible source? Note that these figures do not include illegal aliens, for obvious reasons. This is also just one disease from a 1990 report. If the incidence of TB is this high among those being screened, I shudder to think of the illegal alien population.

As others have mentioned, it’s really just common sense given the squalid conditions and lack of medical treatment prevalent among illegal aliens in their countries of origin. Unfortunately, we have no idea what diseases illegal aliens bring to this country. This should be a concern for all citizens, notwithstanding one’s stance on illegal immigration.

Tuberculosis Among Foreign-Born Persons Entering the United States -- Recommendations of the Advisory Committee for Elimination of Tuberculosis
From your CDC link

Quote:
In 1989, the overall U.S. tuberculosis rate was 9.5 per 100,000 population; for foreign-born persons arriving in the United States, the estimated case rate was 124 per 100,000. In the period 1986-1989, 22\% (20,316) of all reported cases of tuberculosis occurred in the foreign-born population. A majority of foreign-born persons who develop tuberculosis do so within the first 5 years after they enter the United States.
While foreign born Americans have a far higher TB rate than native born Americans, the vast majority of foreign born TB cases occur after they come to the US.

So does this mean the majority (foreign born) were TB free before coming here? I am not quite sure what this means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 07:32 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,557,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNW transplant View Post
From your CDC link

While foreign born Americans have a far higher TB rate than native born Americans, the vast majority of foreign born TB cases occur after they come to the US.

So does this mean the majority (foreign born) were TB free before coming here? I am not quite sure what this means.
I am more concerned with those illegally entering this country with unscreened communicable diseases, than those legally entering and later being diagnosed and treated. I believe illegal aliens pose the greater threat, particularly given their prevalence in the food service industries. However, the fact that many legal immigrants contract TB after having lived here is quite an interesting phenomenon. Perhaps the disease remained dormant for a period.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:15 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,315,469 times
Quote:
Madeleine Cosman, I knew I recognized that name. She is a far right propagandist, and using her as a source hardly proves anything.

Lou Dobbs erroneously claimed that illegals were responsible for 7000 new cases of Leprosy in a 3 year period. Even after shown proof he was wrong, he refused to retract his claims. Lou Dobbs's SOURCE for these claims was Dr. Madeleine Cosman.

http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/news/center-urges-cnn-to-retract-false-reporting-by-lou-dobbs

While I do think the SPLC has too much power and say on labeling people and I don't agree with some of their categorizations, in this case they are just using facts to criticize Dobb's claims which ultimately were sourced from Dr. Madelline Cosman.

She does NOT have a medical degree, her doctorate is in English and Comparative Literature.

Having a Doctorate in 1 field does not make one an expert in another field.
Wrong! Lou Dobbs retracted his claims because he was given inaccurate info.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:18 AM

438 posts, read 503,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Wrong! Lou Dobbs retracted his claims because he was given inaccurate info.
Can you provide a link to where he retracted the 7000 cases of leprosy claims?

Old 05-17-2010, 08:27 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,534,911 times
Quote:
it means that tuberculosis can have a latency period of many years before symptoms become apparent.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:32 AM

50,255 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
Can you provide a link to where he retracted the 7000 cases of leprosy claims?
What he should have used was the term "vast amount" or the like. There is a huge number and we can't count them all so how could we possibly know the exact number?

Dobbs again falsely asserted he "set the record straight" on leprosy | Media Matters for America

The bottom line is the "vast amount". One is too many if here Illegally. That might be the person making your food.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:43 AM

2,205 posts, read 2,535,784 times
Quote:
Reasons for this range from the potential impact illegal residents have on jobs and the economy, and the huge drain on public resources they may create, to actual health concerns. For example, U.S. immigration laws require all individuals seeking legal, permanent entry into the U.S. to prove they have been inoculated against all vaccine-preventable diseases. With an estimated 10 million-12 million illegal immigrants currently residing in the U.S., consider the potential impact that so many unscreened people might have on society. In fact, documented episodes, as reported by the Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons, show incidents where illegal immigrants have reintroduced formerly eradicated diseases inside U.S. borders, such as tuberculosis, and another recent study showed a marked increase in TB and HIV among people stationed illegally in San Diego.
http://www.sourcenewspapers.com/arti...6713659235.txt

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...ylukmXcjD4hZIg

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...EBjKC4bfTxBrfw

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...WnV2uytav-zOmA

Old 05-17-2010, 11:22 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,420,534 times
Quote:
Unless you have a study on the illnesses being brought in and the rate of increase due to illegals, then there isn't much to argue here.
Chagasic Cardiomyopathy in Immigrants from Latin America to Spains | CDC EID (http://www.cdc.gov/EID/content/15/4/607.htm - broken link)
http://www.treatchagas.org/md_materi...ain.aspx?id=26
Illegal Aliens Threatening LA Blood Supply With Chagas Disease : Diggers Realm
VM -- Communicable Disease and Immigration Fears, Dec 2007 ... Virtual Mentor
"When Dr. Monroe talked to Joseph about the test results, he cautioned him that his tuberculosis was highly infectious, imposing special restrictions on his life. He would have to isolate himself to limit the exposure of others. The public health department would also have to be notified, an idea which terrified Joseph. He pleaded with the doctor not to take this step, citing fears that he would be arrested and sent back to Mexico."

The Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR): Illegal Immigration and Public Health
"The impact of immigration on our public health is often overlooked. Although millions of visitors for tourism and business come every year, the foreign population of special concern is illegal residents, who come most often from countries with endemic health problems and less developed health care. They are of greatest consequence because they are responsible for a disproportionate share of serious public health problems, are living among us for extended periods of time, and often are dependent on U.S. health care services."

Illegal Aliens' Impact on Public Health and Environment
"With no medical examination, illegal aliens brought their medical problems with them. NCID, similar to other government agencies, uses political correct speak – listing illegal aliens as foreign-born persons–knowing full well that all legal foreign-born persons would have had medical examinations; if found to have communicable diseases, the foreign-born persons would have been denied entry into the United States."

You are welcome to do the rest of your own research - most of us are already savvy about this.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:16 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,899,855 times
I was reading up on the cone nose bugs. Kissing bugs, assassin bugs. They spread a disease in Mexico. What keeps these insects from hitching a ride ? We have them already in AZ, but they don't cause the disease. That can change if...the bad guys migrate in a symbionic fashion.

Chagas Disease Symptoms and Chagas Treatment

I put a bug net over my bed, but they can still zap you during the day. They don't get the name "assassin" bugs for nothing. They leave welts that itch.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:38 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,838,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Guess what, every time I spend time outside of the US and come back, legally, I'm not required to submit any type of health information.
We were discussing MIGRATION not leaving to go overseas for a vacation LMAO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration