U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 03:16 PM

646 posts, read 1,636,394 times

Advertisements

I think the number is much higher than 20% who support some kind of way for people who are currently here illegally to become permanent residents. Not by simplying giving them amnesty, but a middle ground. In the polls I've seen close to 70% support this.

And I wouldn't see this round-up to take place, it would be quite disgusting in my opinion. The main problem is that current laws are not enforced. If the government wasn't so lobbied by the businesses that want the cheaper labor, most of the problems we see today would go away. I believe it wouldn't be too difficult to simply have ID cards, that could easily be checked against a database when someone applied for a job to ensure they are here legally and that it's not a fake document.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 04:07 PM

1,735 posts, read 4,137,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
I think the number is much higher than 20% who support some kind of way for people who are currently here illegally to become permanent residents. Not by simplying giving them amnesty, but a middle ground. In the polls I've seen close to 70% support this.

And I wouldn't see this round-up to take place, it would be quite disgusting in my opinion. The main problem is that current laws are not enforced. If the government wasn't so lobbied by the businesses that want the cheaper labor, most of the problems we see today would go away. I believe it wouldn't be too difficult to simply have ID cards, that could easily be checked against a database when someone applied for a job to ensure they are here legally and that it's not a fake document.
What is the middle ground?
You think a round-up is disgusting then the only alternative is make them all legal.
What law do you want enforced? If you enforce the law then they either volunteer to go home or they are rounded-up and deported.
What’s an ID card going to tell you?
If they had an ID card that identified them as illegal what do you do then?

Old 06-16-2007, 06:06 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,564,608 times
Wink I am confused...huh...

Ok, even if it DOES sound stupid, what I am about to ask....Oh, well, here it goes anyway...
When did the US have the "prosper" years.... I guess, when Reagan was Prez? (< Is that correct?)
Anyway....we couldn't possibly have had THAT many illegal immigrants back then, and we were doing better then ever.
So, since when, what time frame, did the US government come to DEPEND on the illegal leeches?
And just HOW do they come up with that B*S, on how to justify that the economy will suffer, if we send all the illegals back home?
What do some politicians get out of it, by pushing FOR it? (Remember, most of them don't do anything, unless there is something in it for them and their own agenda!)
Am I missing the whole picture here, or what????

Kele, hon, ....anybody....talk to me, explain.

Last edited by MB2; 06-16-2007 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: typo....what else is new? *grin*

Old 06-16-2007, 08:31 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
Ok, even if it DOES sound stupid, what I am about to ask....Oh, well, here it goes anyway...
When did the US have the "prosper" years.... I guess, when Reagan was Prez? (< Is that correct?)
Anyway....we couldn't possibly have had THAT many illegal immigrants back then, and we were doing better then ever.
So, since when, what time frame, did the US government come to DEPEND on the illegal leeches?
And just HOW do they come up with that B*S, on how to justify that the economy will suffer, if we send all the illegals back home?
What do some politicians get out of it, by pushing FOR it? (Remember, most of them don't do anything, unless there is something in it for them and their own agenda!)
Am I missing the whole picture here, or what????

Kele, hon, ....anybody....talk to me, explain.
My take on the whole illegal immigration thing is three-fold:

1. Globalists like George Bush want to erase the borders between the U.S. Canada and Mexico and turn the entire continent into a market economy.

2. Big Business, which contributes a great deal of cash to various political candidates, likes illegal immigration because cheap (slave) labor makes for bigger profits. Politicians must support illegal immigration in order to keep Big Business kicking big ol' contributions their way.

3. Each party thinks that if they support illegal immigration, they will end up with the lion's share of the Hispanic vote because of their pandering.

Please notice that compassion for those less fortunate is nowhere on that list. That's because if this issue were about compassion for the poor, we would be arguing about legalizing millions of African immigrants rather than Mexican. It all boils down to...money and power. Big surprise.

Oh, and Reagan was no better than any of the rest of them on illegal immigration. His big amnesty in 1986 was supposed to be "the last one." Politicians like Ted "My Head is Too Big for My Body" Kennedy swore to the American people that if they gave amnesty in 1986, Washington would secure the borders and enforce our immigration laws and they would never require amnesty again, so help them God. It didn't even take them 20 years to renege on that promise.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:35 PM

646 posts, read 1,636,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
What is the middle ground?
You think a round-up is disgusting then the only alternative is make them all legal.
What law do you want enforced? If you enforce the law then they either volunteer to go home or they are rounded-up and deported.
What’s an ID card going to tell you?
If they had an ID card that identified them as illegal what do you do then?
Everything doesn't have to be as black and white as you describe things. It's not like there are just two ways to go about this, round 'em up and deport them or give them all amnesty right away.
I believe especially laws regarding employment should be much stricter enforce. If you have an ID card, when the employer checks the ID card when hiring someone, if that person is not here legally, the employer can't hire the person. Now if that also means the employer should turn the person in is another question, but if there is no incentive to come here to work illegally, a lot of the flow of illegal immigration would stop, don't you think?

Old 06-16-2007, 08:40 PM
MB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
My take on the whole illegal immigration thing is three-fold:

1. Globalists like George Bush want to erase the borders between the U.S. Canada and Mexico and turn the entire continent into a market economy.

2. Big Business, which contributes a great deal of cash to various political candidates, likes illegal immigration because cheap (slave) labor makes for bigger profits. Politicians must support illegal immigration in order to keep Big Business kicking big ol' contributions their way.

3. Each party thinks that if they support illegal immigration, they will end up with the lion's share of the Hispanic vote because of their pandering.

Please notice that compassion for those less fortunate is nowhere on that list. That's because if this issue were about compassion for the poor, we would be arguing about legalizing millions of African immigrants rather than Mexican. It all boils down to...money and power. Big surprise.

Oh, and Reagan was no better than any of the rest of them on illegal immigration. His big amnesty in 1986 was supposed to be "the last one." Politicians like Ted "My Head is Too Big for My Body" Kennedy swore to the American people that if they gave amnesty in 1986, Washington would secure the borders and enforce our immigration laws and they would never require amnesty again, so help them God. It didn't even take them 20 years to renege on that promise.
Wow, now THAT makes sense, and explains enough motives
I knew it....I just knew it, but didn't know on how far it would go, and on how close I was with my assumptions.
The Ted and Reagan bit however, I had NO CLUE about!
I just keep on hearing on how prosper the Reagan years were for the US economy and the american people.....But, I guess the bigger picture needs to be evaluated and be seen.
Thank's, girl, knew you would be "right on it"...lol

Old 06-16-2007, 08:54 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
You're too kind.

Unfortunately for me, my experience is first-hand because of where I live. Since I've been an activist, I've been surprised to find just how corrupt many politicians are with regard to this issue.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:31 PM
MB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
You're too kind.

Unfortunately for me, my experience is first-hand because of where I live. Since I've been an activist, I've been surprised to find just how corrupt many politicians are with regard to this issue.
So, I guess that would be the building stone for "them" to take over, since the government and politicians in mexico are all corrupt and bought.....So, it just continues here in the US.
Don't forget, I had mentioned in a previous post that legalized immigrants will be able to vote, and run for office.....
That's when I suggested, that we should start to learn spanish, lowering our living and hygine standards.....etc.
Now that's a pretty picture for the future.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or