U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-16-2007, 08:58 PM
 
646 posts, read 1,636,961 times
Reputation: 155

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Sorry, Fox kisses Bush's butt...they are not fair and balanced.

This one is a study and poll:

Immigration Poll Results

The results of the Zogby poll (Zogby is completely non-partisan and has no stake in the outcome of the poll, thus more trustworthy than polls by the mainstream media)

Stop Illegal Immigration at the California Border! California Border Police (http://www.calborderpolice.com/news/read/?id=14529 - broken link)

ALIPAC dissects pubic opinion poll of registered voters likely to vote regarding this issue.

Illegal Immigration VS Americans for Legal Immigration PAC - New Poll Shows Illegal Immigration High Among US Voter Concerns
Would it be too much to ask for a link to a poll that was conducted this year? These polls are from 2003, 2005, and 2006 respectively and I don't really see them addressing much of the current climate. Here is one that has a summary of polls.

Immigration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-16-2007, 09:04 PM
 
646 posts, read 1,636,961 times
Reputation: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
The CBS poll she is talking about I heard them give it out last Sunday (I think) and I was shocked that the liberal CBS for once was telling the truth.
You can read the results from that latest CBS poll via my link in the previous post. Here are some data :-)

"One proposal would allow undocumented immigrants who have been living and working in the United States for a number of years, and who do not have a criminal record, to start on a path to citizenship by registering that they are in the country, paying a fine, getting fingerprinted, and learning English, among other requirements. Do you support or oppose this, or haven't you heard enough about it to say?"

Support 63%
Oppose 23 %
Haven't Heard 22%
Unsure 2%

Here is the CBS link to the one you were talking about from May:
CBS Poll: Most Support Immigration Reform, Key Provisions Of Reform Bill Receive Wide Support From Both Republicans And Democrats - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2007, 09:12 PM
 
646 posts, read 1,636,961 times
Reputation: 155
Here are the actual polling results - see # 63 among others. Helps to read it all, doesn't it?

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/package...070525poll.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2007, 12:00 AM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,800 posts, read 7,693,544 times
Reputation: 3010
Not the same poll they quoted on tv. Not surprised they wouldn't put the actual results in print.

Of course, here we now once again have the mainstream media backpedaling.

I did however, post three non-partisan polls with completely different results than what CBS has decided to put in print. But it seems most apparent to me that you will believe what you want to believe, no matter what the numbers truly say...so...have fun with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2007, 06:53 AM
 
646 posts, read 1,636,961 times
Reputation: 155
Kele,

Yes, it's all a conspiracy... that poll I posted is indeed the one they discussed on TV. It has those numbers you quoted on there as one of the questions, but you need to read it all, but maybe that is too much trouble for you.

Like I said, the polls you posted were very old and that's why they are not really relevant, it can't be that difficult to find some polls from 2007 so I'm still waiting for you to post those.

I believe not what I want to believe, but the facts. If there is another poll out there showing that a majority of Americans don't support a way for illegal immigrants to become residents, I'll stand corrected. I hope you keep the same open mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2007, 08:18 AM
 
Location: SW Kansas
1,787 posts, read 3,348,640 times
Reputation: 1401
41. Which comes closer to your opinion: 1) America should always welcome all immigrants, OR 2) America should always welcome some immigrants, but not others, OR 3) America cannot afford to open its doors to any newcomers?
Welcome all 24
Welcome some 48
No newcomers 24
DK/NA 4
I take this to mean that 72% want to at least limit newcomers.

42. Which of the following three statements comes closest to expressing your overall view of immigration policy in the United States? 1) On the whole, our immigration policy works pretty well and only minor changes are necessary to make it work better. 2) There are some good things in our immigration policy, but fundamental changes are needed. 3) Our immigration policy has so much wrong with it that we need to completely rebuild it.
Only minor changes 8
Fundamental changes 41
Completely rebuild 49
DK/NA 2
This reflects that 90% of Americans are not satisfied with immigration policy. It does not specify if that is because of the illegal alien invasion, or legal immigrants.

44. Overall, would you say most recent immigrants to the United States contribute to this country, or do most of them cause problems?
Contribute 57
Cause problems 28
Both(vol.) 6
Depends(vol.) 1
DK/NA 8
This question does not ask about illegal aliens either.

46. In the long run, do you think the people who are emigrating to the United States today will make American society better, will make American society worse, or do you ink today's immigrants won't affect American society one way or the other?
th
Better 28
Worse 35
Won’t affect society 29
DK/NA 8

47. Do you think most of the people who have moved to the United States in the last few years are here legally, or are most of them here illegally?
Legally 16
Illegally 75
Half & half (vol.) 2
DK/NA 7
I think this reflects that Americans are aware that we have a huge population of illegal aliens.

48. How much have you heard or read about changing the laws regarding immigration in the United States — a lot, some, not much, or nothing at all?
A lot 26
Some 51
Not much 18
Nothing at all 4
DK/NA
A sad indication that the majority are not paying much attention.

50. Should LEGAL immigration into the United States be kept at its present level, increased, or decreased?
Present level 39
Increased 20
Decreased 35
DK/NA 5
The majority want the same or fewer LEGAL immigrants.

51. What about ILLEGAL immigration – How serious a problem do you think the issue of ILLEGAL immigration is for the country right now — very serious, somewhat serious, not too serious, or not at all serious?
Very 61
Somewhat 30
Not too 6
Not at all 1
DK/NA 1
91% of polled Americans see the illegal alien situation as a problem. (That says it all right there, doesn't it?)

54. From what you know, what country or part of the world do you think most ILLEGAL immigrants to the United States come from today?
Mexico/south of the border 74
South America 7
Centra8
l America Europe 1
Asia 2
Other 3
DK/NA 5

55. Do you think ILLEGAL immigrants coming to this country today take jobs away from American citizens, or do they mostly take jobs Americans don't want?
Take jobs from American citizens 30
Take jobs Americans don't want 59
Both(vol.) 9
DK/NA 3
I think this reflects more on what Americans have been told by the media than by what they have actually experienced.

56. Do you think illegal immigrants do more to strengthen the U.S. economy because they provide low-cost labor and they spend money or do illegal immigrants do more to weaken the U.S. economy because they don't all pay taxes but can use public services?
Strengthen 23
Weaken 70
DK/NA 7
Pretty clear on this one.

57. Do you think the U.S. is doing all it can reasonably be expected to do along its borders to keep illegal immigrants from crossing into this country, or could the U.S. be doing more?
Doing all it can 14
Could be doing more 82
DK 3
The majority feels not enough is being done to keep our borders secure.

58. Compared to American citizens, how likely do you think illegal immigrants are to commit crimes — are illegal immigrants more likely, less likely or about as likely to commit crimes as American citizens?
slotA
More likely 30
Less likely 14
About as likely 53
DK 3
Looks like we need to remind Americans that 100% of illegal aliens are criminals having broken the law to come into this country.

61. If you had to choose, what do you think should happen to most illegal immigrants who have lived and worked in the United States for at least two years: They should be given a chance to keep their jobs and eventually apply for legal status, OR They should be deported back to their native country?
Chance to apply for legal status 62
Deported 33
DK/NA 4
I think this is again a reflection on what Americans are being told by the media, not a reflection on facts. Also, most of us know illegals, and empathise with their plight. Not necessarily a bad thing, but we need to always remember they broke the law to be here and should not be rewarded for that behavior.

63. Would you favor or oppose allowing illegal immigrants who came into the country before January to apply for a four-year visa that could be renewed, as long as they pay a $5,000 fine, a fee, show a clean work record and pass a criminal background check?
Favor 67
Oppose 27
DK 4
This makes me sick to my stomach. Before January 1??? Good grief, lets just give 20 million more time to make a run for the border. Call in the National Guard; they have work to do. I can only guess that people assume this is the "temporary work visa".

64. ASKED OF THOSE WHO FAVOR: Should they be allowed to apply for U.S. citizenship just like legal applicants, or should they have to wait until legal applicants have been considered first?
Should be like legal applicants 16
Should have to wait 49
DK 2
Ok, so we let them in on a 4 year visa, but they are at the back of the line for legal status. Still not a good plan because they have been allowed to stay after breaking the law.

66. As you may know, employers are currently subject to fines if they knowingly hire illegal immigrants. Would you favor or oppose higher fines and increased enforcement of employers who knowingly hire illegal immigrants?
Favor 75
Oppose 8
Favor more enforcement not higher fines (vol.) 15
DK/NA 3
90% believe we need to take job opportunity away from illegal immigrants!

69. Would you favor or oppose a program allowing people from other countries to be guest workers in the U.S. for a temporary period of time, and then be required to return to their home country?
Favor 66
Oppose 30
DK/N 5
I think 64 and 69 go together.


72. If someone from another country is working in the U.S. illegally, what should happen if that person wants to apply for U.S. citizenship: 1. should that person be allowed to apply just like everyone else; 2. should that person be allowed to apply, but only after all the other legal applicants have been considered; or 3. should that person never be allowed to apply?
Apply like everyone else 17
Apply, but only after all others considered 59
Never allowed to apply 20
DK/NA 3
The majority polled do not want them favored over legal immigrants.

73. When the US government is deciding which immigrants to admit to this country, should priority be given to people who have family members already living in the U.S., or should priority be given to people based on education, job skills and work experience?
Family 34
Workers 51
Depends (vol.) 5
DK/NA 10
I vote for work experience also.

74. Should illegal immigrants be prosecuted and deported for being in the U.S. illegally, or shouldn't they?
Should be prosecuted 69
Should not 24
DK/NA 6
I think they should be prosecuted, deported, and lose the opportunity to ever be here legally.

75. Do you think the children of illegal immigrants who graduate from high school in the U.S. should be allowed to attend state public colleges at the same reduced in-state tuition rates as other state residents, or should they pay higher tuition?
In-state tuition 52
Higher rate 39
Should not be allowed to attend 4
DK/N 5
Ah but look how they all go soft over the kids. Kids born here of illegal parents should be considered illegal and deported right along with their parents.

81. If you had to choose, which of the following actions do you think would be most effective in reducing the number of illegal immigrants who come to the United States from Mexico — building more fences along the border or increasing border patrols at checkpoints?
Fences 15
Border patrols 68
Both (vol.) 10
DK/NA 7
I would like to see the fence that has already been approved to be built and used in conjunction with border patrols.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2007, 09:44 AM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,800 posts, read 7,693,544 times
Reputation: 3010
To whomever nicked my rep for sarcasm....gee wonder who that could be? There was nothing hateful in my post nor did I call anyone names. I simply pointed out that a person would believe what they wanted to believe and there was nothing I or anyone else can do to effect that particular person's view and that they should have fun with their viewpoint. Love the way people gouge your reputation simply because they don't agree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2007, 12:23 PM
MB2
 
Location: Sebastian/ FL
3,496 posts, read 8,568,198 times
Reputation: 2688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
To whomever nicked my rep for sarcasm....gee wonder who that could be? There was nothing hateful in my post nor did I call anyone names. I simply pointed out that a person would believe what they wanted to believe and there was nothing I or anyone else can do to effect that particular person's view and that they should have fun with their viewpoint. Love the way people gouge your reputation simply because they don't agree with you.
And going against CD's guidelines, nonetheless!!!!!

Some people are just like babies on here...geezzzzzzz
My dear, I agree with you, and a big fat rep point, a pos one, to you.

Sorry, have to make it up to you, because it tells me :"I have to spread my reputation around a bit, before I can give it to kele again....lol".....

Last edited by MB2; 06-17-2007 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: explanation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2007, 04:54 PM
 
646 posts, read 1,636,961 times
Reputation: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
To whomever nicked my rep for sarcasm....gee wonder who that could be? There was nothing hateful in my post nor did I call anyone names. I simply pointed out that a person would believe what they wanted to believe and there was nothing I or anyone else can do to effect that particular person's view and that they should have fun with their viewpoint. Love the way people gouge your reputation simply because they don't agree with you.
And I love how you assume it's me :-) I don't give any neg rep to anyone unless there is a personal attack or something similar. I simply disagree with you that the majority of Americans are for a round-up and not a compromise, but I respect your opinion, even though your assumptions are faulty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2007, 08:08 PM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,800 posts, read 7,693,544 times
Reputation: 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
And I love how you assume it's me :-) I don't give any neg rep to anyone unless there is a personal attack or something similar. I simply disagree with you that the majority of Americans are for a round-up and not a compromise, but I respect your opinion, even though your assumptions are faulty.
I love how you assume that I am assuming it is you. There are quite a few others in this forum who have a problem with my posts...you aren't number one (I did have someone else in mind). And I also respect your opinion even though you would open our country up for the following (for whatever reasons I cannot fathom, but then again, they are your reasons):

Top 5 Dumbest Things in the Immigration Bill

5) Taxpayers will pay for the immigration lawyers for illegal aliens if working in agriculture.

4) Illegal aliens would be given legal status just one day after their application is filed even if a background check is not completed.

3) Gang members are eligible for amnesty if they renounce their gang status.

2) Borders do not have to be secure before the amnesty program begins.

1) $2,600,000,000,000 -- That is the cost the Heritage Foundation estimates to cover the retirement benefits of 12,000,000 illegal aliens if this amnesty bill becomes law.

So hey, rock on my friend!

Last edited by Kele; 06-17-2007 at 08:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top