U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 11:53 AM

7,413 posts, read 7,831,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Most people in Austin are not with the Austin City Council on this.
Clearly there are differences of opinion & actually the difference between the 2 camps is narrow. Everyone agrees that the border must be secured. The issue is the poorly-written Arizona law that insults Latinos & encourages conflict.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:07 PM

206 posts, read 349,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Clearly there are differences of opinion & actually the difference between the 2 camps is narrow. Everyone agrees that the border must be secured. The issue is the poorly-written Arizona law that insults Latinos & encourages conflict.

Agree. I usually vacation in AZ a couple of times a year. Love Sedona, the canyon lands bordering Utah and Tuscon. But am not going to go back anymore.

I am not white/caucasian. I am not looking forward to being pulled over or even meeting a policeman while walking in some small town and having to provide all kinds of id and questioning and facing the risk that I can be thrown in jail . Yes they say reasonable suspicion-but that varies by the policeman on the scene. Due process exists for a reason. If a police officer pulls me over for speeding, I get a ticket and I can go to court. You can't even arrest a murder suspect unless you have good proof. Now I have less rights than a murder suspect, just because I look different?

This is a very dangerous and slippery slope to go down. I fully support the concern about illegal immigration-that is a major issue. Especially in these days of terrorists and lousy economy-we have to be able to control who comes in and stays and how long they stay- but making some of your own citizens afraid of you, just because they look different is not the solution.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smh1 View Post
Agree. I usually vacation in AZ a couple of times a year. Love Sedona, the canyon lands bordering Utah and Tuscon. But am not going to go back anymore.

I am not white/caucasian. I am not looking forward to being pulled over or even meeting a policeman while walking in some small town and having to provide all kinds of id and questioning and facing the risk that I can be thrown in jail . Yes they say reasonable suspicion-but that varies by the policeman on the scene. Due process exists for a reason. If a police officer pulls me over for speeding, I get a ticket and I can go to court. You can't even arrest a murder suspect unless you have good proof. Now I have less rights than a murder suspect, just because I look different?

This is a very dangerous and slippery slope to go down. I fully support the concern about illegal immigration-that is a major issue. Especially in these days of terrorists and lousy economy-we have to be able to control who comes in and stays and how long they stay- but making some of your own citizens afraid of you, just because they look different is not the solution.
Good points that I hope some of the pro-Arizona law posters will read. I understand racial profiling when ever I walk around Beverly Hills [which I rarely do anyway]. Brown people, even in California, get more scrutiny than the Anglo. It makes a person uncomfortable around the police [like we automatically are suspect & noticed by the cops more than other people]. A Latino in a car with all Anglos is the first person a cop tells to get out & begins to interrogate [like we are immediately guilty until proven innocent]. And why many Latinos will stay out of Arizona until they fix this mess.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:50 PM

422 posts, read 1,098,447 times
Quote:
You've made clear your disdain for California as is your right. So why do you continue to post on the California forum, a state you refer to as a "cesspool . . . of moral filth and immorality." Really! Don't you think you are going a little over board or are you one of those self-righteous Bible-belt types? Either way, you come off as an embarrassment to Arizona, a place you are most welcome to stay in.
Thanks to you and goodneighbor1234 (who's posts are all over AZ forum)
my disdain for people like you from California grows stronger every day.
You are an embarrassment to USA and it is clear that your alliegance is to Mexico and not to this country. I will post anywhere I wish as long as I abide by City-data rules. If you don't like my posts I suggest you don't read them.
With all the people all over the world waiting to legally immigrate to USA what do you think makes the Mexicans so special that they can come in through the back door, other than geography of course. Yes, I get the agenda...Aztlan, Reconquista etc. etc.
An organization named "La Raza" (The Race), who are the real racists CALIFORNIO SUR, who? We all know that Villaraigosa's call for boycotts of AZ stems from his personal racist agenda. He is using the power of his office to advance his people. He doesn't work for ALL Americans.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwideopenskyx View Post
Thanks to you and goodneighbor1234 (who's posts are all over AZ forum)
my disdain for people like you from California grows stronger every day.
You are an embarrassment to USA and it is clear that your alliegance is to Mexico and not to this country. I will post anywhere I wish as long as I abide by City-data rules. If you don't like my posts I suggest you don't read them.
With all the people all over the world waiting to legally immigrate to USA what do you think makes the Mexicans so special that they can come in through the back door, other than geography of course. Yes, I get the agenda...Aztlan, Reconquista etc. etc.
An organization named "La Raza" (The Race), who are the real racists CALIFORNIO SUR, who? We all know that Villaraigosa's call for boycotts of AZ stems from his personal racist agenda. He is using the power of his office to advance his people. He doesn't work for ALL Americans.
Blah blah blah! Nobody wants to engage you here. Why not keep your comments in the "politics" forum? Clearly you have an ax to grind & would be better received if you didn't slander California in our forum.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:49 PM

422 posts, read 1,098,447 times
Quote:
Blah blah blah! Nobody wants to engage you here. Why not keep your comments in the "politics" forum? Clearly you have an ax to grind & would be better received if you didn't slander California in our forum.
Well, you keep responding to my posts, aren't you? You're very much into slandering law abiding citizens of AZ. How does it feel to be on the other end?.....(Blah, blah, blah) is that all you got to say? How very intelligent of you. I see you have nothing to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration