Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 03:21 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,921,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
no body is going to cut power off to anyone, thats not even up to Arizona, they just simply stated if LA wants to boycott then they should stop buying power fron Arizona, 25% of thier power comes from Arizona, in reality you need to renegosiate power purchase agreements and contracts which can takes years to do. This is just so funny, a state adopts a law that is already federal and wants to enforce it and the people go crazy and start screaming but yet they passed the same law federaly years ago.
EXACTLY^^^ Gary Pierce never said that power could be cut. He was just showing the hyprocrasy in the boycott. All of this debate about cutting power or water has nothing to do with his original position. He was not threatening anything. He just wanted to show the L.A. boycott is nothing more than a bunch of stupid politicians pandering to their base.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:22 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
LA mayor: okay, when people die from the AC being out, businesses lose hundreds of millions of dollars in costs, we'll go to the nearest federal court judge and level a lawsuit against you personally for said costs, and level criminal charges of multiple counts of negligent homicide.

At least that's what should happen.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:07 PM

220 posts, read 411,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
EXACTLY^^^ Gary Pierce is nothing more than a stupid politicians pandering to their base.

Gary Pierce is nothing more than a blowhard politician that actually thought he had some leverage on this issue. He later found out that his whole premise didn't hold, now he admits he is powerless to do anything than give interviews on Fox News.

Fox News was reporting that Gary Pierce was threatening to cut power. Blowhard Pierce didn't refute that claim.

Boycott backlash: Arizona politician puts one over on Angelinos - KGUN 9 On Your Side, Tucson News, Weather & Sports (http://www.kgun9.com/Global/story.asp?S=12515575 - broken link)

The live interview with Pierce Wednesday night, transmitted nationwide on the Fox News Channel, featured a large animated graphic showing the famous Hollywood sign going dark. Van Susteren began the interview with the breathless announcement, "If you live in Los Angeles right now you'd better run out and buy some batteries, because it could be lights out for you."

After the Fox interview, Pierce talked with KGUN9's Linda Garrett. He had an expression on his face that bore similarities to that of a cat having just dined on a particularly tasty canary. Garrett asked, "Do you believe you've accomplished what you were trying to achieve?" Pierce responded, "More than I could have imagined." He went on to say, "I've had a lot of interviews over this. We've had a tremendous response -- and people support Arizona."

Old 05-20-2010, 04:21 PM

425 posts, read 1,955,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Let me make use of it to make it easier...

Illegals use ER facilities and it costs hundreds of millions. You don't deny they do. I am not trying to argue the significance of how much they do impact costs... You do agree they do .. Here .. grabbed an actual number for you :
Illegal immigrants represent about 15 percent of the uninsured, but for various reasons (they're younger, they lack access to government programs) they don't represent 15 percent of uncompensated care; it's more like 10 percent, according to a study by the Center for Immigration Studies, a nonprofit research group. Using the Kaiser data, the center calculates that providing uncompensated care to illegal immigrants costs taxpayers $4.3 billion annually.

Their care costs money. Alright.. lets move on.

blah blah blah.. Meanwhile in china they work in 10x worse conditions : The fate of a generation of workers: Foxconn undercover fully translated (update: videos added) -- Engadget
Hosted by their own country... If person x isn't exploited here for profit .. he will be exploited elsewhere .. People have been exploited in sweatshops for decades to give you cheep products.. why don't why fly around the world trying to rescue em all...
Funny how people forget about america's history when it was progressing to the point where its at not. your for fathers busted their arses in labor intensive jobs.. It's called globalization .. Emergent economies...
But to the debate, this point brings nothing .... What is of note is that you have millions of americans sitting around not doing anything collecting unemployment stating there are no jobs ... TO me that supports kicking every last one of the illegal immigrants out of here and telling uppity americans to get to work.

Lets cut the shat and start doing some fact checking .. I posted here twice the California law and the known law across the U.S .. If the police for you are a suspect in a crime or have reason to believe you committed one, or are in the act.. They have the right to ask you for your freaking ID. I am African American and have lived through this reality my whole life.. Simple solution .. As the law states, have your ID on you at all times. Is it that hard to carry an ID . I never leave home w/o it .. I need to drive.. i need it to verify my credit card usage.. What do I say to a merchant who asks me for my ID? Hell nah yo .. ayo wtf .. you being racist ? .. GTFO here man.

And in case, people can't read.. Here's CA law for the umpteenth time :

CA Cops Must Check Citizenship: Penal Code: 834b(1): "(1) Attempt to verify the legal status of such person as a citizen of the United States, an alien lawfully admitted as a permanent resident, an alien lawfully admitted for a temporary period of time or as an alien who is present in the United States in violation of immigration laws. The verification process may include, but shall not be limited to, questioning the person regarding his or her date and place of birth, and entry into the United States, and demanding documentation to indicate his or her legal status."
CHAPTER 5. ARREST, BY WHOM AND HOW MADE - Sections 833-851.90 - California Penal Code - California Code :: Justia

Is this racists? I feel like I am talking to a brick wall
LMAO Your post is hysterical.

What you fail to understand is that Los Angeles is a sanctuary city, which means police are banned in the city from asking about the person's status as a citizen.

Now see, there is a HUGE difference between the CITY OF LOS ANGELES and the STATE OF CALIFORNIA. You need to be able to differentiate between the two. Now, thus far, I have only read that LOS ANGELES is boycotting Arizona. If you could direct me to something that says CALIFORNIA is, then please do so.

You conveniently ignore the fact that many American citizens use the emergency room when they have no means of paying for it, either. Also, my agreement that some do use medical services doesn't mean I buy into your hyperbole. The fact of the matter is, no one should die or be denied medical services because of their status in a country.

Also, exploitation ISN'T ok, but the problem here is that the companies that employ illegal immigrants in the United States are part of the problem of illegal immigration. Furthermore, you complain about them as if they abuse our system and steal our money when that's not the case. It's very nice for you to suddenly care about the exploited workers in developing countries, but I suppose that makes it easier for you to continue spewing your hatred of illegal immigrants in the United States. What these companies do is help continue the problem of illegal immigration.

That all said, Latinos aren't the only group of illegal immigrants in this country. There are plenty of white illegal immigrants, as well.

That said, I have wasted enough time talking with you, as nothing I say or do is going to bring water to the drought in your brain.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
o shutup. if you love illegals so much then why don't you go live with them in their country? you probably are an illegal.

the USA has done well for 250 years without illegal Latinos. We don't need them!
California was once a part of Mexico, genius. Much of the southwestern part of the United States was at one time. In fact, we moved into their territory, they allowed us to live there under certain conditions, and then we proceeded to violate those conditions. It's called history, maybe you should start learning it.

Unfortunately for you, I am not an illegal immigrant. I was born and raised in the United States and even served this country in the armed forces.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:34 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladoll View Post
LMAO Your post is hysterical.

What you fail to understand is that Los Angeles is a sanctuary city, which means police are banned in the city from asking about the person's status as a citizen.

Now see, there is a HUGE difference between the CITY OF LOS ANGELES and the STATE OF CALIFORNIA. You need to be able to differentiate between the two. Now, thus far, I have only read that LOS ANGELES is boycotting Arizona. If you could direct me to something that says CALIFORNIA is, then please do so.
I don't fail to understand anything . I fail to understand how you have conflicts from federal .. to state.. to some idiots in a local city ...
Supremacy Clause - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In case you forgot about that one.

Quote:
You conveniently ignore the fact that many American citizens use the emergency room when they have no means of paying for it, either.
I didn't conveniently ignore a d*m thing. I stated the figures of illegal immigrants. The figures for U.S Citizens are left out so as to not overstate the impact of illegals . I correctly stated the $$ amnt of illegals and only illegals as it pertains to their burden on the U.S

Also, my agreement that some do use medical services doesn't mean I buy into your hyperbole.

Quote:
The fact of the matter is, no one should die or be denied medical services because of their status in a country.
Why's that? why does your heart stop at the borders of the United States?
There is no fact about that matter... That is a matter of your opinion and feeling. For which, the world is yours. If you believe that to be a right of anyone who steps foot over here .. By all means.. you and people like you start up a fund to pay for it ...

Quote:
Also, exploitation ISN'T ok,
Glad you agree on that . Further, i stated the global scope and reality of exploitation .. Again, people seem to act like .. Oh, not in my backyard .. but if its an inch over the border.. f**k it .. where do I sign up for some cheap iphones and goods .. Cognitive dissonance is a mother f***r i guess .. Maybe you don't like it that i call out your 'have a heart for the world' like it is.

Quote:
but the problem here is that the companies that employ illegal immigrants in the United States are part of the problem of illegal immigration.
Arizona has strict laws/fines against companies that do this ... It helps in reducing immigration however they had to the need to take it further .. Again, that matter is already attempting to be resolved by book laws.

Quote:
Furthermore, you complain about them as if they abuse our system and steal our money when that's not the case.
Prove it's not the case. give me some facts/figures. Otherwise gtfo here w/ that baseless statement

Quote:
It's very nice for you to suddenly care about the exploited workers in developing countries,
I never stopped caring ... And the difference between me and you is that my care doesn't stop within the border of this country because I have a bad case of cognitive dissonance and don't care about things so long as its not in my view ... Yeah, let that guy die so long as its not in my country .. in my sight ... man. You called yourself out

Quote:
but I suppose that makes it easier for you to continue spewing your hatred of illegal immigrants in the United States. What these companies do is help continue the problem of illegal immigration.
Don't suppose anything. I am an African American who has documented slavery in his ancestry. I went through profiling and racism and do as a minority daily .. I busted my arse to get where I am and I don't take kindly to PC liberals who try to use appeal to emotion arguments to make a case for taking from peter to pay Paul . You and the group of people like you care soo much .. You give up your job to an immigrant. You pay the state's deficit .. you pay the country's deficit ... You pay for the illegal immigrants hospital care ... You pay for the net impact of illegal immigrants. If you had to personally bare the brunt of the costs of it all you wouldn't be yapping about half the crap you are .. I state what I say and am being realistic . It applies to even the most extreme case... What you and others like you desire is a myopic delusion of grander that wont scale in this current economic environment. It would sure probably help you sleep with a big on your face at night feeling as though .. IN MY COUNTRY WE DON"T allow X,Y,Z .. meanwhile the rest of the world is burning to the ground ...

Quote:
That all said, Latinos aren't the only group of illegal immigrants in this country. There are plenty of white illegal immigrants, as well.
No sh*t .. you ever hear of statistical significance? If you have to solve a problem and the majority of it lies in area X .. Whereas the least resides in area Y .. Which part do you attack first? Oh, yeah .. Attack the least significant area.. yeah, that makes perfect sense dude outta here. If all of these other racial groups were attached to America like Mexico was or was a boat ride away like Cuba was... they would too fall into a more significant portion of the illegal immigrants. They don't . So wtf are you trying to act stupid for and say : lets focus on the smallest area of the problem? .. When i get pulled over for speeding I don't say .. hey, what about those other fools who were speeding.. The cop says.. yeah, but I caught you .. and you were breaking the law

Quote:
That said, I have wasted enough time talking with you, as nothing I say or do is going to bring water to the drought in your brain.
Yeah, go find solace somewhere else in your myopic views... As long as you post it here and I have time to call them out i will . You must have thought i was some rich white tea bagging republican. Sorry dude, I am a minority with forced immigration and slavery in his family tree .. Try the ad hominem attacks somewhere else. I have cuban/spanish/african american and white blood flowing in my veins and have within my extended family .. Legal immigrants who recently came here.
Your personal attacks and accusations of hatred are baseless

Old 05-20-2010, 07:57 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Quote:
yeahthatguy I have cuban/spanish/african american and white blood flowing in my veins and have within my extended family .. Legal immigrants who recently came heree]
You are a little like me [Puerto Rican\ West Indies Black & a dose Anglo]. But you have to admit that the bulk of the Black community gets real uncomfortable when even other racial\ ethnic groups are threatened. Several noted Black Democratic leaders went to Phoenix to advocate for the Latinos. Anytime there is more than a hint of racism, Americans get concerned [not all Americans sadly]. We know the history of our peoples, bro. Right?

Old 05-20-2010, 09:23 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,921,563 times
[quote=goodneighbor1234;14265741]Gary Pierce is nothing more than a blowhard politician that actually thought he had some leverage on this issue. He later found out that his whole premise didn't hold, now he admits he is powerless to do anything than give interviews on Fox News.

Why did you misquote me? If you don't agree with what I've said is one thing, but to take words and mix them up and give me credit is outright lying. I saw that interview and understood exactly what his point was, and wholeheartedly agree with the fact that these boycotts are stupid.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:24 PM

yeahthatguy-

Your bile isn't even worth quoting. I never claimed to know you or what your race is and frankly, I don't care. Don't start crying about ad hominem attacks when you have used such language, as well.

Also, states do have the right to not follow certain federal laws. Montana for many years did not have a speed limit, even when there was a federally mandated one. There are a few states that refused to follow No Child Left Behind. These decisions come with consequences, of course, in the form on losing federal funds (at least to a degree), but if they're willing to go without, then they will. If not, then they will cave to the federal government.

Have a nice life.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:30 PM

152 posts, read 335,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladoll
Furthermore, you complain about them as if they abuse our system and steal our money when that's not the case.

Prove it's not the case. give me some facts/figures. Otherwise gtfo here w/ that baseless statement

Look at the tunnels and smuggling going on to enter this country, that is a very real example of abuse. Last summer I went to Canada, by plane and enjoyed BC shopped and saw some sights, I did not sign my kids up for school, take a trip to the state department of health to gather some services. I guess if I crawled through a tunnel I might be trying to abuse and take something from Canada, what are you even talking about it is not the case that they abuse the system. I they were not trying to abuse the system they would not be here illegally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration