Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 06:27 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,291,538 times

Advertisements

before the moderators close this thread to move it to the immigration forum. HINT HINT HINT

Some guy crosses the border and starts earning money and even more important, starts consuming goods and services. So which grocery store loses his business? Which gas station doesn't collect it's incremental pittance?

Economic (capitalist, of which I'm a big fan) theory says you need an expanding market in order to produce profits. More people, more profits. Throw out (if it were indeed possible) "illegal" immigrants and watch your economy take a big dump.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:32 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,424,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
before the moderators close this thread to move it to the immigration forum. HINT HINT HINT

Some guy crosses the border and starts earning money and even more important, starts consuming goods and services. So which grocery store loses his business? Which gas station doesn't collect it's incremental pittance?

Economic (capitalist, of which I'm a big fan) theory says you need an expanding market in order to produce profits. More people, more profits. Throw out (if it were indeed possible) "illegal" immigrants and watch your economy take a big dump.
If Americans had those jobs instead, they'd be spending it too. A lot of the money illegals earn actually leaves the country and never comes back. How does that benefit California? Your argument is going to be a tough sell with the high unemployment we have today.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:42 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,502,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
If Americans had those jobs instead, they'd be spending it too. A lot of the money illegals earn actually leaves the country and never comes back. How does that benefit California? Your argument is going to be a tough sell with the high unemployment we have today.
People don't try to think w/ their brains Escape .. They yield most often to confirmation bias and populism when forming their baseless/illogical conclusions. Sadly, they somehow feel affirmed that what they are saying is indeed factual .... When you point out that they are wrong, they don't accept it and thank you for the correction .. They instead get like a 2 year old and respond as if you are personally attacking them as opposed to getting at the truth.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:32 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,519,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Since the illegals work, eat, and live in CA, their money gets spent in CA and CA therefore benefits from it. Do you think illegals cross the border back to Mexico to buy lunch there, then come back to the US after their lunch break to their job they allegedly stole from you?

And as far as illegals stealing jobs is concerned, I've heard it said that they are lazy bums who don't work. They are leeches of the welfare system, they sit on their butts watching TV the whole day, breeding anchor babies, collecting food stamps....yada yada....

Excuse me? Can you guys not even get your story straight? On one corner of your mouth, you say illegals steal your jobs. On the other corner, you say they are lazy bums who don't work. So which is it? Do illegals work, or don't they?

Most important of all, who says you are entitled to a job? Where does it say in the US constitution that having a job is a basic right of an American citizen?

Old 05-20-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
People don't try to think w/ their brains Escape ..
Hey genius..... answer the question I asked you earlier. Do you think anchor babies who came here involuntarily are analogous to the slaves brought here involuntarily from Africa? Should anchor babies be accorded the full rights of American citizenship just as black slaves were accorded those rights under the 14th amendment?

Old 05-20-2010, 07:47 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,442,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Since the illegals work, eat, and live in CA, their money gets spent in CA and CA therefore benefits from it. Do you think illegals cross the border back to Mexico to buy lunch there, then come back to the US after their lunch break to their job they allegedly stole from you?

And as far as illegals stealing jobs is concerned, I've heard it said that they are lazy bums who don't work. They are leeches of the welfare system, they sit on their butts watching TV the whole day, breeding anchor babies, collecting food stamps....yada yada....

Excuse me? Can you guys not even get your story straight? On one corner of your mouth, you say illegals steal your jobs. On the other corner, you say they are lazy bums who don't work. So which is it? Do illegals work, or don't they?

Most important of all, who says you are entitled to a job? Where does it say in the US constitution that having a job is a basic right of an American citizen?
None are so blind as those who will not see. Try a little research and discover how many billions of dollars (Yes! That's billions with a "B") they send back to Mexico each year. That's money earned but not spent here.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
None are so blind as those who will not see. Try a little research and discover how many billions of dollars (Yes! That's billions with a "B") they send back to Mexico each year. That's money earned but not spent here.
What proportion of their earnings do they send to Mexico and what proportion do they spend locally in CA? Since you are the one making the assertion that billions are transferred to Mexico, you provide the data.

Also, show us how illegal Mexicans are able to ship money back to Mexico. Do they stuff dollar bills inside brown envelopes and slip these across the border? Are you so naive as to believe that they actually risk losing their money that way?

Or do they remit the money through bank to bank transfers? And if they do that, doesn't the bank skim off a fee for the transaction? Since these banks are presumably on US soil (American banks), don't they pay taxes on the income generated from these fees? Don't these taxes get recirculated back to the US Treasury, which then puts the money back out to the US economy in the normal course maintaining monetary policy?

Old 05-20-2010, 08:10 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,015,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Further... So we are clear.. When you are unemployed.. There is no such thing as : Jobs that American's dont want to work. We have 13% unemployment in california :
Google - public data

Don't tell me there are jobs that Americans don't want to work and that's why we need Mexican immigrants to pick carrots, etc. I have my Masters in Electrical and Computer Engineering and I'd scrub toilets and bag groceries if necessary to secure food/water/shelter.....
Come now. You know better than that. You certainly know at least one person who just doesn't want to do hard work.

There are people out there right now who would rather sit on a corner and hold up a sign waiting for handouts than to do menial labor. I can think of four people off the top of my head who are perfectly healthy human beings, capable of working jobs, where I can think of at least 20 positions they could get into, but they don't want to do the work. Hell, one of them used to work at Burger King yet he doesn't want to go back and work for them again even though they guaranteed he would be rehired on the spot. He feels he's "too good" to work there.

Said person has been unemployed for over 10 years. And he is so by his own choice.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:12 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,218,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The estimated sum is 21 of those large B's, 21 billion a year sent home. This revenue is Mexicos second largest source of income, behind only the national oil giant Pemex. Not exactly pocket change. Not surprising that Mexicos politicos wish to keep those rich Yankee dollars flowing south.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:23 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,017,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
How exactly are illegals costing CA $10.5B?

They can't get welfare, Medi-Cal or Food Stamps.

It is easy to just spout a number, but facts are better.
Yes, they do get foodstamps and WIC as well.

I know. I live in a neighborhood that's predominantly hispanic and most of them can't speak english. They ALWAYS pull out a foodstamp card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration