Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 03:00 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,043,506 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Barack Obama stepped up his criticism of Arizona's controversial immigration law Wednesday, calling it "misdirected" and warning that it has the potential to be applied in a discriminatory fashion.

Speaking at a joint news conference with Mexico's President Felipe Calderon, Obama called for overhauling the nation's immigration laws and said that can't be done unless Republicans support it.

The controversy over the Arizona law, which would make it a state crime to be in the country illegally, hung over Calderon's visit. Both leaders oppose the law, with Obama directing the Justice Department to review it for possible civil rights violations, and Calderon's government issuing a travel warning for Arizona, out of concern that Mexicans face an adverse political environment there.

Calderon made good on his pledge to take up the immigration issue during his meetings with Obama. He said the Arizona law criminalized migration and could encourage discrimination. He also called for the U.S. and Mexico to work together to solve the complex, politically sensitive immigration issue.

"We can do so if we create a safer border, a border that will unite us instead of dividing us, uniting our people," Calderon said. "We can do so with a community that will promote a dignified life in an orderly way for both our countries."

Almost twice as many people support the Arizona law as those who oppose it, according to an Associated Press-GfK poll this month. It found that 42 percent favored it, 24 percent opposed it and another 29 percent said they were neutral.

Obama ramps up criticism of Ariz. immigration law - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Obama-ramps-up-criticism-of-apf-3674889630.html?x=0&.v=11 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 03:11 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,413,619 times
Calderon - "the Arizona law criminalized migration" - well, so does our federal law - illegal migration. We are a sovereign nation and Mexico better get used to it. We're not going to take over the financial obligation of their uneducated, unskilled and unwanted-by-their-own-country folks. We have enough uneducated, unskilled and non-contributing citizens of our own to deal with, along with millions of educated and skilled people without jobs through no fault of their own. We can ill afford to serve as the nanny for their country's bretheren, peasant or otherwise.

Nothing personal, Mexico - just because your country abuts ours doesn't mean you can push whatever you don't want to deal with over to our side of the border. We're pushing it back.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:22 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,043,506 times
I agree with you that illegal immigration needs to stop and certainly, Calderon will have to admit a great number of illegal immigrants back whether he likes it or not. However, not all will leave, I'm willing to bet that many will not leave. I'm also willing to bet that Mexico and the US ties are getting stronger and we will have to work together....both countries, whether we like it or not.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:23 PM

706 posts, read 939,694 times
Calderon should clean up his own backyard before he complains about this country....Hey, Felipe, how about opening Your own borders and treat your illegals aliens as well as they are treated here?

Where is your welcome mat?

Why doesn't mexico set an example of the value of open borders and lead the way ?

When You do that the feel free to complain about the sovereignty of the USA

Idiot !

Old 05-19-2010, 03:36 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,517,832 times
The Mexican people and government took advantage of America so in simple terms NO to ANY immigration issue

ILLEGAL is ILLEGAL and against OUR LAWS !

What is so hard to understand about this ?

The only way to solve this issue in my opinion is to

(1) Secure the border...PERIOD !

(2) ANYONE without the proper paper work has 90 day's
to leave the country...PERIOD !

(3) ANYONE not following the law's of the UNITED STATES
of AMERICA will be held accountable for his or her
actions to the fullest extent of the law...PERIOD !

(4) If they want to return to the U.S. they MUST follow
the procedure and wait their turn...Just like everyone
else.

See it is just that simple we already have the laws but they
NEED to be ENFORCED

Name one country that has such a lax attitude about their
borders.

The free ride is over and I'd also like to see the money lent
to Mexico repaid A.S.A.P. as they along with our government seem to have a problem being accountable
on how they waste TAX PAYERS DOLLARS !

Old 05-19-2010, 05:30 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,069,407 times
President of Mexico Calderone critizing the efforts of Arizona CITIZENS to get a grasp on illegals in their state, said that he feared that HIS citizens would be harassed, profiled, arrested for no reason, asked to show their 'papers'. If he's so concerned about their safety, why doesn't he take them back to Mexico with him after he finishes his U.S. taxpayer paid dinner.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:43 PM

50,235 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I agree with you that illegal immigration needs to stop and certainly, Calderon will have to admit a great number of illegal immigrants back whether he likes it or not. However, not all will leave, I'm willing to bet that many will not leave. I'm also willing to bet that Mexico and the US ties are getting stronger and we will have to work together....both countries, whether we like it or not.
I'm willing to bet they will leave by force. I'm also willing to bet that Calderon is a two faced idiot. I also know he won't answer questions as to why his own Country has a lot tougher immigration laws than mine. How would he answer those questions? What a maroon.

Face it, Mexico has been using the US as a form of welfare for it's poorest Citizens. They are encouraged to cross and send back money. The leaders of Mexico have long expected the US to subsidize workers and their families while they send money back to prop up the corrupt Mexican Govt. Guatemala is right behind it.

This cannot continue, whether we LIKE IT or not. Illegal immgration has weakened ties to both Countries as States now have to try and stop the invasion of poor from S of the border like never before. Does anyone really think most people feel good about this invasion?

I think it sucks to have come to this, I used to love going to Mexico and now the entire Country has a stigma due to the invasion of people coming here to take and take and take. The saddest part is many aren't even Mexican yet they blacken the eye of Mexico because they claim they are when apprehended.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 05-19-2010 at 05:52 PM..

Old 05-19-2010, 06:13 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,312,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
President of Mexico Calderone critizing the efforts of Arizona CITIZENS to get a grasp on illegals in their state, said that he feared that HIS citizens would be harassed, profiled, arrested for no reason, asked to show their 'papers'. If he's so concerned about their safety, why doesn't he take them back to Mexico with him after he finishes his U.S. taxpayer paid dinner.
He is afraid that his ILLEGAL citzens will be harassed, profiled, asked to show their papers and arrested for no reason? Uh, isn't that part of enforcing immigration law? They would be arrested for no reason? Uh, how about being arrested for being an ILLEGAL? WTH does his government do with their illegal aliens? What a hypocrite!

Old 05-19-2010, 06:15 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,568,901 times
When Obama says "immigration reform", he better mean kicking them all the hell out of here and NO MORE IMMIGRANTS for a while.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:17 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,913,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Barack Obama stepped up his criticism of Arizona's controversial immigration law Wednesday, calling it "misdirected" and warning that it has the potential to be applied in a discriminatory fashion.

Speaking at a joint news conference with Mexico's President Felipe Calderon, Obama called for overhauling the nation's immigration laws and said that can't be done unless Republicans support it.

The controversy over the Arizona law, which would make it a state crime to be in the country illegally, hung over Calderon's visit. Both leaders oppose the law, with Obama directing the Justice Department to review it for possible civil rights violations, and Calderon's government issuing a travel warning for Arizona, out of concern that Mexicans face an adverse political environment there.

Calderon made good on his pledge to take up the immigration issue during his meetings with Obama. He said the Arizona law criminalized migration and could encourage discrimination. He also called for the U.S. and Mexico to work together to solve the complex, politically sensitive immigration issue.

"We can do so if we create a safer border, a border that will unite us instead of dividing us, uniting our people," Calderon said. "We can do so with a community that will promote a dignified life in an orderly way for both our countries."

Almost twice as many people support the Arizona law as those who oppose it, according to an Associated Press-GfK poll this month. It found that 42 percent favored it, 24 percent opposed it and another 29 percent said they were neutral.

Obama ramps up criticism of Ariz. immigration law - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Obama-ramps-up-criticism-of-apf-3674889630.html?x=0&.v=11 - broken link)
When I had to go to Mexico City for work, our company supplied us with a bodyguard because of the high level of crime and risk of kidnapping.

I think Calderon would do well to clean up his own country before criticizing ours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration