U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-27-2010, 10:06 PM
 
3,424 posts, read 3,472,674 times
Reputation: 1774

Advertisements

COME ON!...surely you know that the bill explicitly contains a clause that prohibits racial profiling...the police can only ask for proof of citizenship AFTER they have already been given cause to interact with them by doing their regular job. (pulled the person over for speeding, disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace etc.)

The law strictly prohibits cops from just walking up to select people asking them for identification just for the hell of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-28-2010, 06:49 PM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,169 posts, read 5,260,802 times
Reputation: 3377
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
COME ON!...surely you know that the bill explicitly contains a clause that prohibits racial profiling...the police can only ask for proof of citizenship AFTER they have already been given cause to interact with them by doing their regular job. (pulled the person over for speeding, disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace etc.)

The law strictly prohibits cops from just walking up to select people asking them for identification just for the hell of it.
I guess that does not apply to some blacks who get pulled over for no real reason. Me and a three friends were in a red minivan on our way to a party and this cop followed us for at least six blocks for no reason. when he did decide to pull us over it was basically b/c there were four black males in a minivan with out state plates. After realizing that the people that he pulled over were a fireman, a federal contractor with the defense dept, a state employee and an active duty major home on leave. I asked him why did he pull us over in the first place, and he looked dumbfounded and then said that we crossed the yellow line. Did we get a ticket? Of course not b/c he made up a reason for his actions.

I guess what I'm saying is that any officer can find a reason to pull anyone over, so how would you know if he/she did not pull someone over based on their race or ethnicity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2010, 07:03 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 6,377,614 times
Reputation: 2121
Quote Simetime:

"I guess what I'm saying is that any officer can find a reason to pull anyone over, so how would you know if he/she did not pull someone over based on their race or ethnicity"?

Yes, there are some cops that might do that but it is still against the law. All we can do is hope they are caught not following policy and lose their jobs over it. Racial profiling can happen just as in the incident you described which is totally unrelated to immigration enforcement. Where is the furor by the pro-illegals over those incidents? All of a sudden since the pro-illegals have made it a Latino racial profiling problem it becomes real important to them. I suspect it is those Latinos who have illegal relatives and friends in this country that are making the biggest noise over this along with the bleeding heart liberals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2010, 07:20 PM
 
364 posts, read 64,364 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Quote Simetime:

"I guess what I'm saying is that any officer can find a reason to pull anyone over, so how would you know if he/she did not pull someone over based on their race or ethnicity"?

Yes, there are some cops that might do that but it is still against the law. All we can do is hope they are caught not following policy and lose their jobs over it. Racial profiling can happen just as in the incident you described which is totally unrelated to immigration enforcement. Where is the furor by the pro-illegals over those incidents? All of a sudden since the pro-illegals have made it a Latino racial profiling problem it becomes real important to them. I suspect it is those Latinos who have illegal relatives and friends in this country that are making the biggest noise over this along with the bleeding heart liberals.
ilegal vatos dont care about no black ppl
if tha man hassles blacks
but ilegal vatos cry when tha man hassles em
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 09:00 PM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,169 posts, read 5,260,802 times
Reputation: 3377
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Quote Simetime:

"I guess what I'm saying is that any officer can find a reason to pull anyone over, so how would you know if he/she did not pull someone over based on their race or ethnicity"?

Yes, there are some cops that might do that but it is still against the law. All we can do is hope they are caught not following policy and lose their jobs over it. Racial profiling can happen just as in the incident you described which is totally unrelated to immigration enforcement. Where is the furor by the pro-illegals over those incidents? All of a sudden since the pro-illegals have made it a Latino racial profiling problem it becomes real important to them. I suspect it is those Latinos who have illegal relatives and friends in this country that are making the biggest noise over this along with the bleeding heart liberals.
I look at it as a blackman that has been harassed unjustly by racist officers for no reason and can see that happening to legal latinos in AZ.
Like you said, I just hope that if there are bias cops out there that they will be caught and punished before a real incident occurs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 09:01 PM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,169 posts, read 5,260,802 times
Reputation: 3377
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJackson1980 View Post
ilegal vatos dont care about no black ppl
if tha man hassles blacks
but ilegal vatos cry when tha man hassles em
I guess since you put it that way......

Hell I don't even live in that state and have no intention on visiting it soon, so I guess I really should no care ..eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 09:51 PM
 
1,150 posts, read 595,035 times
Reputation: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I like Obama. This is just one issue I disagree with him on.

However, I must say....were you angry at George Bush for not doing anything about illegal immigrants? Many times, conservatives were ok with it under Bush but now that Obama is here, they suddenly want him removed from office. Predictable.

Bush and his intentions were not to protect the USA but yet no one on the right complained then!

NOTE-I am against illegals and for the Arizona bill. Send them all back. Racial profiling? Admit your race is creating a big problem here and deal with it. When the illegal Hispanics leave, this bill will not be needed anymore.

Yes, we were angry at George Bush. Conservatives are the ones who stopped the amnesty he tried to pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 10:38 PM
 
Location: Arizona High Desert
4,579 posts, read 3,306,737 times
Reputation: 2520
swap out 12 million nasty americans, and tell calderon it's tit for tat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 10:59 PM
 
53 posts, read 4,988 times
Reputation: 17
Because Arizona is wrong for passing this law. The law promotes racial profiling and is anti Hispanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 11:19 PM
 
Location: California
706 posts, read 538,590 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Creole View Post
Because Arizona is wrong for passing this law. The law promotes racial profiling and is anti Hispanic.
Arizona was absolutely correct in passing 1070, as the feds have refused to enforce current immigration laws. If the feds refuse to do their job, then Az. wast left with no choice.

2 questions for You ............ (1) why have there been no protests against the current federal immigration laws , only 1070? (Hint: because the current laws are not enforced )

(2) If 1070 has specific wording preventing profiling, then how does it "promote" racial profiling ?

In the long run, I'm sure that all laws have the capability of being abused. and Lord knows that there is no shortage of "bad cops" that will take advantage of any situation and use a law as they see fit.....but when caught they, and cities and states , end up paying one hell of a price. (at the taxpayers expense, of course, courtesy of the ACLU, and other frivolous lawsuit generators)

The questions are asked assuming that You have read the law and are not dependent on "talking points"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:10 PM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top